Injury Report: Gaborik out 8 weeks with foot injury

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
They shouldn't be at the Olympics and this joke of a tournament shouldn't exist.

I approve of the Olympics, by the way. They should just make it that it is the WJC rosters pretty much.

Way too much money at stake to have these guys get hurt for no reason except for, in this case, the NHL to try and make some money. At least with the Olympics, they are playing for their country and not possible "Europe".

I have several season seats I pay for. Now the product that I pay for is not going to be as good. Of course, he could break his foot making pancakes but the point is that he was in an unnecessary position and now his eight week absence could be the difference between qualifying for the playoffs or missing them altogether.

It's stupid, just like sending them to the Olympics right before the playoffs start.

And if Gaborik didn't get hurt, he would have been in better game shape getting a head start in these "meaningless" games, and the product you bought tickets for may have been a steal.

I personally don't care much for the world cup. But I'm not going to presume my interest trumps everyone else's just because *I* don't get value out of it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
And if Gaborik didn't get hurt, he would have been in better game shape getting a head start in these "meaningless" games, and the product you bought tickets for may have been a steal.

I personally don't care much for the world cup. But I'm not going to presume my interest trumps everyone else's just because *I* don't get value out of it.

Or he could just play in the pre-season schedule that is set up so these guys can be in game shape once Opening Night arrives. They better be in shape regardless of some tournament since they are professionals.

Also, my tickets would not become a steal because Gaborik was in a tad bit better shape. The risk/reward of this tournament as it relates to Kings Hockey is heavily slanted towards the risk column.

I'm here because I am a Kings fan and this site exists because of NHL hockey first and foremost. I'm not really presuming anything: the majority of hockey fans--at least in the US--could really care less about this tournament and easily care more about their favorite NHL team.

I know it seems counter to my thoughts on this tournament, but if this thing was a war like the '96 World Cup then I'd be okay with it. They just seem like glorified exhibition games in comparison though so to have serious injuries occur during this tournament just seems like the biggest waste. He wasn't even playing for his country!

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
wonders to self if the usa went 3-0 if the usa fans would still be saying the tournament sucks

It still sucks. It's on ESPN and they have the worst broadcast team for it. Most of the games are unwatchable.

Carter got hurt during the prelim.
Now Gaborik is hurt blocking a meaningless shot.

2AJCu1x.gif

I can't wait to see Canada win an international tourney like usual.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The good side is the Kings have plenty of cap space now with LTIR. Greene will get injured before Gaborik gets back so he can just go on LTIR then. This is going to work out nicely.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
wonders to self if the usa went 3-0 if the usa fans would still be saying the tournament sucks

Wrong!

The tournament sucks. No one cared before or during, no one on either of my beer league teams was talking about it in the lockerroom, me included. No one in Europe cared. I personally didn't watch a single minute of the tourney. They stupidly schedule the event before the NHL season and right as everyone is hyped with NFL and NCAA football.

People around the world care about the Olympics, not a stupid gimmicky cash grab tournament created in some meeting room in Manhattan.

I'll be glued to my tv set watching at weird hours of the night a year and a half from when they are in Pyeonchang for a tournament that actually meanings something.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gaborik will come back early.

Then break something else :laugh:

Made me laugh harder than it should have :laugh:

Kinda glad its now instead of midseason.

Remember when everyone was wondering when/if the kids would get a chance? Here they go!

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
I previously did not get to ask this at the start of the World Cup of Hockey: does this count towards respective countries' IIHF world rankings?

If "yes", I understand why; otherwise, this is more of an NHL event than an IIHF event anyway.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
We've gotta get another winger. It really sucks he's had so many injury issues throughout his career.

we have pearson king clifford andreoff brown lewis nolan all of which have played lw in the nhl We have toffoli nolan lewis brown latta king and Carter all capable of playing rw
We have tryout seto (ex shark) Lets not forget rookies kempe and mersch all ready to move up I don't see the need to go acquire anyone

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Or he could just play in the pre-season schedule that is set up so these guys can be in game shape once Opening Night arrives. They better be in shape regardless of some tournament since they are professionals.

Also, my tickets would not become a steal because Gaborik was in a tad bit better shape. The risk/reward of this tournament as it relates to Kings Hockey is heavily slanted towards the risk column.

I'm here because I am a Kings fan and this site exists because of NHL hockey first and foremost. I'm not really presuming anything: the majority of hockey fans--at least in the US--could really care less about this tournament and easily care more about their favorite NHL team.

I know it seems counter to my thoughts on this tournament, but if this thing was a war like the '96 World Cup then I'd be okay with it. They just seem like glorified exhibition games in comparison though so to have serious injuries occur during this tournament just seems like the biggest waste. He wasn't even playing for his country!

So again, he could have been playing a preseason game, which would occur now. These guys spent the summer off. They play these games to regain their timing and get back in shape.

If you feel the absence of Gaborik hurts the overall quality of the product on ice, then you have to concede that a better-game-shape Gaborik improves the overall product. You can't have it both ways.

Anyway, I knew the moment a player started smelling funny at the tournament people would be up in arms about how bad these meaningless games are.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Yes, I was hoping that any team with Kings players on it would lose and be knocked out.

Unfortunately not possible given how the one division was set up.

Last edited:

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
So again, he could have been playing a preseason game, which would occur now. These guys spent the summer off. They play these games to regain their timing and get back in shape.

If you feel the absence of Gaborik hurts the overall quality of the product on ice, then you have to concede that a better-game-shape Gaborik improves the overall product. You can't have it both ways.

Anyway, I knew the moment a player started smelling funny at the tournament people would be up in arms about how bad these meaningless games are.

I can have it both ways: the injury has a far greater impact than the potential small boost in his fitness at the start of the season. No sane person would say that they have the same impact. The reward is nowhere near the risk, as we have seen.

If he gets hurt playing for the LA Kings, the team that pays him millions of dollars to play hockey, in a pre-season game then cest la vie. Hell, if he is playing for Slovakia I'd be pissed but at least he is playing for his country and possibly trying to help them qualify for the Olympics or something.

You have mentioned previously you don't care for these tournaments yet you are curiously defending this tournament across multiple threads. What's up?

Also, the argument I've read of "if you are going to get hurt, you are going to hurt...could be practice, pre-season etc..." is ridiculous and misses the point. Hey, we are all going to die one day but I accelerate the timeline for it if I decide to take a bicycle ride on the freeway.

The only reason one would have to shrug this off is that they actually like the tournament. As a Kings fan, it is a complete disaster.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The only reason one would have to shrug this off is that they actually like the tournament. As a Kings fan, it is a complete disaster.

Or, Gaborik is a grown man and can play in the tournament that his boss in some form or fashion signed off on if he wants to. Fan concerns don't really enter into the equation.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Or, Gaborik is a grown man and can play in the tournament that his boss in some form or fashion signed off on if he wants to. Fan concerns don't really enter into the equation.

What is the "or" about? I'm not saying he can't play in it: I'm saying the tournament is stupid and has now impacted what really matters: the LA Kings. I'm sure the continent of Europe is not sweating that they won't have Gaborik for the next eight weeks to play for their team since, you know, that team won't exist a week or so from now.

Players play. I get it. Don't have the option for them to play in this tournament by not having it and problem solved. I have no ill will towards Gaborik for playing: not at all.

This isn't a "fan concern". He's being paid very good money to play professional hockey for the LA Kings. The Kings "signing off on it" doesn't mean **** since of course they are fine with it: this tournament is an NHL event. Even if they weren't fine with it, no team would be able to keep their guys from playing. That's the whole ****ing problem: the tournament even existing.

Again, the only reason to argue against what I'm saying is if you like the tournament and think it is worth it. If so, that's your opinion and I hope the tournament has been worth it for you and will continue to be worth it come November when the Kings are struggling to score.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Again, the only reason to argue against what I'm saying is if you like the tournament and think it is worth it. If so, that's your opinion and I hope the tournament has been worth it for you and will continue to be worth it come November when the Kings are struggling to score.

I'm not arguing against what you're saying. I don't care all that much about any of the international tournaments, real or fake. For me, it doesn't matter when a player gets hurt. If it's in August walking his dog, in meaningless games, or a random NHL game in February, none of that changes the reality of the injury. If Gaborik got hurt in the 1st period of the 1st game of the season with 0 goals and 0 points, and then was out for 8 weeks, I don't see a difference between that or him getting hurt a few days ago playing for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00