G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Maybe he wants to be a free agent for NHL. That means, he could sign as a 27 years old guy for massive amount of money. Not Entry Level amount.

Wonder how much he would get if he did that, that would be a weird situation.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe he wants to be a free agent for NHL. That means, he could sign as a 27 years old guy for massive amount of money. Not Entry Level amount.

I doubt, he'll get big money in the KHL in 3 years. The league is going to decrease the cap drastically.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Nobody is going to give a guy who hasn't proved anything in the NHL a huge contract, especially a goalie. Hypothetically say if he remains a top goalie in Russia then becomes a UFA, I could see a team offering him like a 2 years 4M a season show me contract

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So, Sorokin may not even have wished to sign a 3 year extension? Am I reading that right?

If I understand correctly from what I've read, he was fine with 3 years, btu didn't care about the financial details too much, so that part was left to his father and agent. So it's pretty possible that his father signed the final deal it if he had the power of attorney.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If I understand correctly from what I've read, he was fine with 3 years, btu didn't care about the financial details too much, so that part was left to his father and agent. So it's pretty possible that his father signed the final deal it if he had the power of attorney.

So not really a big deal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Interesting that a 21 year old would leave all of his decisions up to his father.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Interesting that a 21 year old would leave all of his decisions up to his father.

Russians tend to be very family-oriented. Family is always a factor.

Since the Russian economy rebounded from the 1990s crisis, there has been less of an incentive to abandon one's country and family for the NHL.

It is a good thing, because it reveals a healthier and better functioning society. On the other hand, this is bad for the NHL because it is in their interest to see an economically destitute Russia and players eager to flee at every chance.

Although I am very curious to see how Kirill Kaprizov performs in the NHL, a decision to stay home would leave me smiling. I am certainly pleased that Sorokin has signed.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Russians tend to be very family-oriented. Family is always a factor.

Since the Russian economy rebounded from the 1990s crisis, there has been less of an incentive to abandon one's country and family for the NHL.

It is a good thing, because it reveals a healthier and better functioning society. On the other hand, this is bad for the NHL because it is in their interest to see an economically destitute Russia and players eager to flee at every chance.

Although I am very curious to see how Kirill Kaprizov performs in the NHL, a decision to stay home would leave me smiling. I am certainly pleased that Sorokin has signed.

I think it has more to do with them wanted to play in the best league in the world. KHL will always be second fiddle to the NHL because it can't attract top players from anywhere other than Russia and likely never will. So yeah you can stay and maybe win the Gagarin Cup but it is no Stanley Cup and never will be. You will always just have won the second best league cup in the world. And never know if you were ever good enough to beat the actual best players in the world. Sure Sorokin could stay and likely play on the Olympic roster. But with no NHLers competing it's such a loser win. Yeah they likely win Gold but against probably AHL or less level competition. Be proud Russia, be proud.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think it has more to do with them wanted to play in the best league in the world.

Playing in the best league in the world is a true factor to be considered, but it is not the only one. Moving from Moscow to Long Island or Minnesota is not a great tradeoff, especially for a Russian. Moving away from family is another problem. You can take your family with you, but you will leave a lot behind.

KHL will always be second fiddle to the NHL because it can't attract top players from anywhere other than Russia and likely never will. So yeah you can stay and maybe win the Gagarin Cup but it is no Stanley Cup and never will be. You will always just have won the second best league cup in the world. And never know if you were ever good enough to beat the actual best players in the world. Sure Sorokin could stay and likely play on the Olympic roster. But with no NHLers competing it's such a loser win. Yeah they likely win Gold but against probably AHL or less level competition. Be proud Russia, be proud.

But Sorkin has not said that he will never come to the NHL. Rather he is postponing his decision, which makes sense. Looking at things historically, goalies tend to not fully mature until their mid-20s. Sorokin is not there yet. If he leaves now, he will very likely ride the buses in the AHL which is no great reward.

He can still experience the best league in the world, and maybe even win the Stanley Cup. But he does not owe anything to you, or anyone else.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But Sorkin has not said that he will never come to the NHL. Rather he is postponing his decision, which makes sense. Looking at things historically, goalies tend to not fully mature until their mid-20s. Sorokin is not there yet. If he leaves now, he will very likely ride the buses in the AHL which is no great reward.

He can still experience the best league in the world, and maybe even win the Stanley Cup. But he does not owe anything to you, or anyone else.

It's been said he is postponing the decision to play for Russia at the Olympics, at the behest of his father. He owes it to himself to play against the best possible competition he can and prove he is one of the best goalies in the world. He won't do that at an NHL-less Olympics nor in the KHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think it has more to do with them wanted to play in the best league in the world. KHL will always be second fiddle to the NHL because it can't attract top players from anywhere other than Russia and likely never will. So yeah you can stay and maybe win the Gagarin Cup but it is no Stanley Cup and never will be. You will always just have won the second best league cup in the world. And never know if you were ever good enough to beat the actual best players in the world. Sure Sorokin could stay and likely play on the Olympic roster. But with no NHLers competing it's such a loser win. Yeah they likely win Gold but against probably AHL or less level competition. Be proud Russia, be proud.

Stanley Cup means nothing for Russians, literally NOTHING. Olympics or even IIHF WCH has bilion times bigger prestige/value.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stanley Cup means nothing for Russians, literally NOTHING. Olympics or even IIHF WCH has bilion times bigger prestige/value.

Oh you speak for every single Russian do you? Sure Olympics is huge, when the best players are there. Not sure why anyone would put the IIHF WC on a pedestal since it never has the best players in the world. It's fun to watch but it's not top level competition since a good chunk of the best players are in the SC playoffs.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Some folks want to portray Russia's economic slavery to the West as some kind of virtue. It is the opposite.

Sorokin staying is a good thing. Hoping for more of the same.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Some folks want to portray Russia's economic slavery to the West as some kind of virtue. It is the opposite.

Sorokin staying is a good thing. Hoping for more of the same.

I don't see it as economic slavery. I see it as Russians coming to play in the hardest league to play in, in the world. Testing their abilities and mental toughness to travel half way around the world and still be one of the best in the world. Something that will always be in doubt if they don't try it. Some will run back to Russia with their tails between their legs but the one's that have any sort of success stay because they know they are proving themselves amongst the best the world has to offer each and every night. Not in a league where even Nigel Dawes can put up points.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fantomas, he'd likely live in Manhattan. The Isles no longer play on Long Island, although I think they still practice there.

Also, can you give me a good reason why players should stay in Russia even if they are NHL ready? I don't get how it actually helps Russia's National Team in big competitions. You want your best players not challenging themselves to be the best they can every day against the best in the world? Don't you think they'd struggle with the jump in competition? And in these short tournaments, there aren't many games. Talented players can usually adjust, but it also usually takes a few games. These adjustments usually don't happen in a few games. Remember how Shipachyov played at the WCH? He was awful.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Also, can you give me a good reason why players should stay in Russia even if they are NHL ready?

As an Islanders fan I really hope Sorokin comes over because hopefully one of him or Soderstrom becomes "the goalie" of our future. But I don't hold it against a player if he rather play closer to home, especially if he can make just as much money playing there. I know if I was a player location of where I play would factor big time into my choice of where I play

I am guessing their is many Swedish and Finnish players that if they could make as much playing in their home countries as they do in the NHL they might take the offer to play at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad