G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
No need to be laughing sarcastically, I was't aware of what he said concerning the AHL. So it'll be a case of Buchnevich, as in he'll only make the move to NA id f he's got a guaranteed spot with the Isles?

Certainly. Why the hell a million+ keeper would play in AHL for 70k?

:help:

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Interesting. Do you guys know any top-goalies who made the jump straight from a Euro League to the NHL? Not asking to prove any point, but idk, in my head goalies take time to develop, and refining their game in the AHL with some kind of contract clauses is never a bad thing, is it?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Interesting. Do you guys know any top-goalies who made the jump straight from a Euro League to the NHL? Not asking to prove any point, but idk, in my head goalies take time to develop, and refining their game in the AHL with some kind of contract clauses is never a bad thing, is it?
Bobrovsky?

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
So basically...

Sorokin/his agent:

1. Either truly believes he can have the kind of impact these two ELITE (we're not talking about above average goalies here..) goalies had right of the bat when they moved to NA
2. or he/his agent is just.. really cocky?

..all in all, is Sorokin going to have such a strong first impression in the NHL?

Also, how would you guys compare Sorokin to, say, Ville Husso, who made the move this season from Finland to the AHL? Husso's been fairly good for a goalie who has the exact same age as Sorokin, and who's got technically the upside and the skill Sorokin has.. Now I know this is Sorokin's thread and you will probably all bash on Husso since you follow one more than the other one, but try to get my point here.

Just trying to figure out how not to hop-on the hype train too fast..

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
isn't there rumors that NYI could buy out the last year of his contract after this year??

I wouldn't say there are rumors.

What we've heard from NYI's beat writer is that NYI wants him in North America as soon as possible.

I'd imagine in a perfect world, they want to transition him into a starting role in the NHL over the duration of Thomas Greiss' three year contract extension.

Vasilevsky is currently in his third year and will likely be taking over the starting role for Tampa Bay full time next season. That'd be a good comparable for a transition in my opinion.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
How much of Sorokin have you seen and what feats of NA hockey do you want him to be learning for an entire year?

I have seen little of him, but followed what i could. I think he has great lateral movement and rarely gives up on a play. His positional play could suffer from a change to NA, which is why I would think it would be a good idea to see how he does in the ahl first, barring any overwhelming play in training camp.

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
On the TSN list just released Craig Button has Shestyorkin (3rd) one ahead of Sorokin (4th). I'm pretty sure it's a concenus at this point that Samsonov (1st) is the best NHL goalie prospect. But the Shesterykin/Sorokin comparison intrigues me. I'd love to know more about how their games are different and how they may be similar. Seems like splitting hairs and the NYC area NHL teams both have a stellar goalie prospect developing nicely in Russia.

EDIT: Button had Tyler Parsons ranked 2nd, just FYI

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
On the TSN list just released Craig Button has Shestyorkin (3rd) one ahead of Sorokin (4th). I'm pretty sure it's a concenus at this point that Samsonov (1st) is the best NHL goalie prospect. But the Shesterykin/Sorokin comparison intrigues me. I'd love to know more about how their games are different and how they may be similar. Seems like splitting hairs and the NYC area NHL teams both have a stellar goalie prospect developing nicely in Russia.

EDIT: Button had Tyler Parsons ranked 2nd, just FYI

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Samsonov ahead of Sorokin and Shesterkin?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I hope he will play in the NHL soon :) this kid is a beast in net !

Yup, can't wait to see a Sorokin-Shestyorkin rivalry. They appear to be good friends too so that should be fun. Both top 3 goalie prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad