WJC: Future World Jr Locations

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Grand Forks, ND could pull it off, Minneapolis/St Paul could as well.
I'd love to see a tournament split between Winnipeg and Grand Forks. Both locations work great as a primary host but neither have a real appropriate 2nd location. They're only 2ish hours apart and both have main event type arenas. Put Canada's pool in WPG, USA's in GF and you'd have both barns packed. Can decide on medal round later.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Grand Forks' attendance was propped up by Canadians invading, as they do in Buffalo when World Junior is there. My question is more, will the average Wild fan, Gophers fan, or HS hockey fan want to go, for the States games, but for the other games as well?
I'd imagine Canadians will invade MSP as well. It may not be a "day trip" like Buffalo or GF were but it's still a doable drive

Reactions: TaLoN

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I'd imagine Canadians will invade MSP as well. It may not be a "day trip" like Buffalo or GF were but it's still a doable drive
Yes but can be a real bitch in the winter. MSP airport is also very accessible and centrally located. Most Canadian cities have direct flights that are 3 hours or less.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Games in 2026 will be played at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, which hosts Minnesota Wild home games, and Mariucci Arena, which hosts the University of Minnesota men’s hockey team’s games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Minnesota hosted this event in 1982, and attendance was very low. Of course, that was very early in the history of the tourney, which started in 1977, well before Canadian TV coverage made it into a much bigger event (starting in the late 1980s).

I expect Minnesota will do much better this time, but I would still not count on full arenas of 10,000 or more for those games not involving Team Canada or Team USA.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Minnesota hosted this event in 1982, and attendance was very low. Of course, that was very early in the history of the tourney, which started in 1977, well before Canadian TV coverage made it into a much bigger event (starting in the late 1980s).

I expect Minnesota will do much better this time, but I would still not count on full arenas of 10,000 or more for those games not involving Team Canada or Team USA.
Is that typically the case in Canada?

I think you'll see decent crowds for all US and CAN games and the elimination games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Grand Forks' attendance was propped up by Canadians invading, as they do in Buffalo when World Junior is there. My question is more, will the average Wild fan, Gophers fan, or HS hockey fan want to go, for the States games, but for the other games as well?
Winnipeg fans always choose to come to MN for the double up usually around Christmas/New Years that seems to always happen, with the Minnesota Vikings playing at home, while the Jets are coming to St.Paul.
Seems to happen every year because you know these franchises are aware it happens, and Jets fans tend to be Vikings fans.
You now add in the WJC, and the invasion just lasts a bit longer so they can catch WJC games too.

There will be plenty of fans from MN wanting to go, and there will be a lot of influx of fans at the same time.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Detroit/Windsor would be fun. Both close to Plymouth (USA Hockey) and Ann Arbor as well.
My question is will the average USNDT, Red Wings and Wolverine fan attend not only the US & Canada games but for the other games as well. Or will the #s be propped up by Canadian fans?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I think Tampa, Seattle and Vegas would all be great hosts someday
I've been to a game at Amalie, and it is a very good time, passionate fans and clearly a supported NHL team.

Honest question though. Would it support junior hockey? There is a big difference between the NHL product and world juniors.

I think most of the fans would be snowbirds from Canada.

Same kind of applies to Vegas, but with a bit of a circus atmosphere. I am trying to be as polite as possible here, this isn't a condemnation on either locations fanbase, just curious about junior hockey support.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canadians like hockey, and like visiting the twin cities. They will drive from the prairies, and it's an easy direct flight from virtually every major CAN city. I will be curious to see how many Americans show up to games like Finland v. Germany, though.

The venues mentioned are both very nice. I think that some of the "lesser" games at Mariucci might be fleshed by student attendance if there is some tie in between the WJC and the U of MN, keeping ticket prices low. Adding another 1000 students/faculty/workers per game would make a difference.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
NY/NJ would be cool but would never happen. There’s 3 NHL arenas within about an hour of eachother plus both the Islanders and Devils practice facilities.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been to a game at Amalie, and it is a very good time, passionate fans and clearly a supported NHL team.

Honest question though. Would it support junior hockey? There is a big difference between the NHL product and world juniors.

I think most of the fans would be snowbirds from Canada.

Same kind of applies to Vegas, but with a bit of a circus atmosphere. I am trying to be as polite as possible here, this isn't a condemnation on either locations fanbase, just curious about junior hockey support.

They've had Frozen Four games there at Amalie and had a decent local turnout. The issue is always the pricing for the entire U20 tournament though. If it's too high, it won't draw.

Valeson81

Aug 11, 2019
Suisse
Hoping to go to my first tournament in 2028 in Finland. (non-Finn)
I assume getting tickets will be realistic, although im not that optimistic about it. maybe anyone has experience from Sweden this year?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Good luck with that, Canadian prices ate awful, but the IIHF likes that.
If you remember the tournament in Buffalo the attendance was a major disappointed. The organizers charged too much for tickets and overestimated the amount of Canadians who would attend. They were lucky Canada was in the Gold medal game as that was the only game that was near capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad