WJC: Future World Jr Locations

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Always wondered why Michigan doesn't get more consideration to host a World Junior.

1 NHL rink, 1 AHL, several NCAA rinks, 2 OHL, 1 USHL, USA Hockey. Plenty of hockey fans, borders Ontario so Canadians would help fill it like they do in Buffalo.

Reactions: Kleefeld

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can't wait for it to come back to NA. Such a joke you have quarterfinal games in an almost empty arena.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I wonder if Thunder Bay could host. Big enough city I think but it’s kind of a bad location. As far as I know it’s a huge hockey town.
Surprised no OHL team.

Or bring it to Saskatchewan. Saskatoon or Regina would be great places to host. Wonder if they’ve ever hosted?
I lived in TB for 15 years, and there are a couple of major drawbacks. One, it's really in the middle of nowhere, TBH. 7-8 hours to Winnipeg to the west, The Sault to the east, and Minneapolis to the south. That's kind of why there's no Junior Team. The University team draws well, but its too far for most OHL teams and way too far for WHL. Secondly, the arena is over 70 years old and woefully inadequate to host a tourney of this magnitude. Plus, as mentioned above, there's nothing else of comparable size even close for hosting secondary games. Maybe Duluth but even that's
almost 4 hours south, and across the border. Big hassle. Its a great hockey town but you're right...its just in a bad location.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Always wondered why Michigan doesn't get more consideration to host a World Junior.

1 NHL rink, 1 AHL, several NCAA rinks, 2 OHL, 1 USHL, USA Hockey. Plenty of hockey fans, borders Ontario so Canadians would help fill it like they do in Buffalo.

I had a wonderful Detroit sports trip in 2014. Caught NHL/MLB/NCAAF/USHL/OHL over a long weekend. I wonder if arena availability is tougher since the Wings share with the Pistons as well?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I had a wonderful Detroit sports trip in 2014. Caught NHL/MLB/NCAAF/USHL/OHL over a long weekend. I wonder if arena availability is tougher since the Wings share with the Pistons as well?
I guess if you had round robin in Grand Rapids, and then East Lansing or Ann Arbor, then you could have the elimination round games at Little Caesar's. You'd just have to book the arena years in advance to force the Red Wings and Pistons to go on extended road trips at that time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Bummer if not Vegas, although I was curious about hotel availability around NYE possibly being an issue. If it's Seattle, I can use the tournament as a crutch to visit college friends. Seattle Thunderbirds arena is ~30 minutes south of downtown Seattle. The Everett Silvertips are a little further north, but traffic isn't as bad going in that direction.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Minnesota is the logical pick. Has everything you need to host this tourney. Games would be well-attended

Reactions: Kleefeld

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Minnesota is the logical pick. Has everything you need to host this tourney. Games would be well-attended

Would Minnesotans care that much? Thought most were HS/NCAA focused with some Wild first types. The perception is that Minnesotans don't care much about junior hockey.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Would Minnesotans care that much? Thought most were HS/NCAA focused with some Wild first types. The perception is that Minnesotans don't care much about junior hockey.
Yes, this tourney has a major following here, we routinely populate the US team and also love our amateur hockey. It’s been a dream of my father and I to go for most of my life, I get to add my daughter into that mix too. Extremely excited to say the least!

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Still the heartbeat of American hockey. Produce more NHLers than any other metro and it’s not even close

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Minnesotans may not care about CHL hockey as much as Canadians do, but definitely more so than places like Seattle, Vegas and Tampa Bay. If you broaden out "junior" hockey to U-20 hockey, then yes because that also covers USHL and NCAA. Also, there is a large population within Minnesota with Scandinavian backgrounds, so there would also be interest in watching the Swedes, Norwegians and Finns come over.

Minnesotans like to follow all levels of hockey, from youth to high school to junior to NCAA to NHL. On top of that, they are also interested to see the next group of future NHLers. They also have the infrastructure and corporate dollars to host this tournament.

If Grand Forks, ND could pull it off, Minneapolis/St Paul could as well.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Minnesotans may not care about CHL hockey as much as Canadians do, but definitely more so than places like Seattle, Vegas and Tampa Bay. If you broaden out "junior" hockey to U-20 hockey, then yes because that also covers USHL and NCAA. Also, there is a large population within Minnesota with Scandinavian backgrounds, so there would also be interest in watching the Swedes, Norwegians and Finns come over.

Minnesotans like to follow all levels of hockey, from youth to high school to junior to NCAA to NHL. They also have the infrastructure and corporate dollars to host this tournament.

If Grand Forks, ND could pull it off, Minneapolis/St Paul could as well.
Grand Forks' attendance was propped up by Canadians invading, as they do in Buffalo when World Junior is there. My question is more, will the average Wild fan, Gophers fan, or HS hockey fan want to go, for the States games, but for the other games as well?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Bummer if not Vegas, although I was curious about hotel availability around NYE possibly being an issue. If it's Seattle, I can use the tournament as a crutch to visit college friends. Seattle Thunderbirds arena is ~30 minutes south of downtown Seattle. The Everett Silvertips are a little further north, but traffic isn't as bad going in that direction.

Vegas would have been terrible. Empty arenas.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If London ever gets one, it will be as a secondary site to Toronto, with probably no Canadian games and certainly not the medal games.

We will take it though!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Grand Forks' attendance was propped up by Canadians invading, as they do in Buffalo when World Junior is there. My question is more, will the average Wild fan, Gophers fan, or HS hockey fan want to go, for the States games, but for the other games as well?

Yes, i think so. Definitely more so than Seattle, Tampa Bay, Vegas, and even countries like Sweden when it come to foreign attendance.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad