Fully Healthy Who Sits? Where do you play Kane

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If we found out today the Kane was injured and is a no-go in round one... we probably won't last that long in the postseason.
Kane at 100% has never been capable of playing defense-first hockey.

Kane was pretty bad last year in the playoffs.
He was physical at least. He drove Vegas crazy. But also couldn't score or defend. Gonna need him to at least do the former this time around.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

He was physical at least. He drove Vegas crazy. But also couldn't score or defend. Gonna need him to at least do the former this time around.
Kane is good at getting under teams' skin. We've seen that pay off for us. He was made for playoffs. He did get some points as well, and usually doesn't get top PP time

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Kane has outstanding offensive zone fundamentals going for him when his game is on, including this season... and it gets better in the playoffs.

Look at the Vegas blue line. We are 100% f***ed without Kane. I don't care what anyone says to the contrary.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Draisaitl and Kane together is suicide. Unless McDavid also happens to be there.
Think we’re going to see McD and Drai together…at least to start Round 1. There’s no better offensive pressure when it’s going.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Then swap Kane and Henrique.
Could also go
Kane - McDavid - Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Foegele
Holloway - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Nuge - Brown

That’s potentially insane depth.
Optimally I'd like to find a way to have McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Henrique, and Kane in the top 6, but that makes things harder further down the lineup.

Think we’re going to see McD and Drai together…at least to start Round 1. There’s no better offensive pressure when it’s going.
I'm sure we will at times, but it'll be Hyman out there with them, and I'm not sure it'll happen until there's an emergency.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Optimally I'd like to find a way to have McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Henrique, and Kane in the top 6, but that makes things harder further down the lineup.
Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Nuge - Henrique
Foegele - Carrick - Brown

But that’s a slow second line. I think you spread out as much as possible and you can always shorten the bench later in games.

Multiple cup teams recently won not from one line, but being able to roll lines to wear you down, the top 6 does most of the scoring but you need to be able to sustain pressure.

Reactions: Porkleaker

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Nuge - Henrique
Foegele - Carrick - Brown
Knob can run this configuration in short spurts and certain situations, and it’s a good one imo. But sadly RNH just can’t handle that responsibility for a full game and certainly not for a whole series. He absolutely withers every time he’s expected to be the main puck carrier on any line. Kane looks the worst when he’s trying to carry the puck too much, and Henrique hasn’t shown much in that regard either from what I’ve seen. That second line would have big problems through the NZ and with their zone entries imo. Probably have to switch Draisaitl and RNH in most situations.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Knob can run this configuration in short spurts and certain situations, and it’s a good one imo. But sadly RNH just can’t handle that responsibility for a full game and certainly not for a whole series. He absolutely withers every time he’s expected to be the main puck carrier on any line. Kane looks the worst when he’s trying to carry the puck too much, and Henrique hasn’t shown much in that regard either from what I’ve seen. That second line would have big problems through the NZ and with their zone entries imo. Probably have to switch Draisaitl and RNH in most situations.
No matter what else happens in the top six, I think Kane has to be on McDavid's wing. Our top offensive attacking threat with the physical Kane who is an option for the pass off of every rush. That big defense of Vegas is going to target McDavid every rush. We need someone to wreck that Vegas defense and be the passing option that can shoot. Flesh it out from there.

Big strong Draisaitl centering the second line. I think you probably want Hyman on that second line as the player who will drive the net waiting for Draisaitl to feed him the puck.

You can always fall back to loading up the top line during crucial moments.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No matter what else happens in the top six, I think Kane has to be on McDavid's wing. Our top offensive attacking threat with the physical Kane who is an option for the pass off of every rush. That big defense of Vegas is going to target McDavid every rush. We need someone to wreck that Vegas defense and be the passing option that can shoot. Flesh it out from there.

Big strong Draisaitl centering the second line. I think you probably want Hyman on that second line as the player who will drive the net waiting for Draisaitl to feed him the puck.

You can always fall back to loading up the top line during crucial moments.
Except McDavid and Hyman should be stapled together as their chemistry this year is crazy.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Except McDavid and Hyman should be stapled together as their chemistry this year is crazy.
It might not work against the Golden Knight's zone defence. The first line could get shut down without a power forward and shooter willing to beeline in the offensive zone accentuating McDavid's speed game.

There might not be enough depth left over on the second line willing to pay the price going to the front of the net on Draisaitl's line without Hyman.

I think you have to start every game with the duos I just mentioned. Draisaitl will be fine with Hyman. I believe McDavid needs the power game of Kane. There isn't going to be a whole lot of leeway against Vegas.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It might not work against the Golden Knight's zone defence. The first line could get shut down without a power forward and shooter willing to beeline in the offensive zone accentuating McDavid's speed game.

There might not be enough depth left over on the second line willing to pay the price going to the front of the net on Draisaitl's line without Hyman.

I think you have to start every game with the duos I just mentioned. Draisaitl will be fine with Hyman. I believe McDavid needs the power game of Kane. There isn't going to be a whole lot of leeway against Vegas.
You don’t break Hyman and McDavid up under any circumstances. Come on, man.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Kane sucks and has next to no chemistry with anybody. Dude can't make plays and can barely handle a pass without fumbling it.

Team without him is addition by subtraction.

• Love
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I agree with what a few others have said, playoff Kane is different then regular season Kane. I would also like to see Carrick in as well. Vegas is a big greasy team.
Henrique McDavid Hyman
Nuge Drai Foegele
Holloway McLeod Perry
Kane Carrick Brown Janmark
I like Ryan and he is valuable but I dont think his speed is comparable to the other fellas. Speed and size are needed against Vegas

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I think we have the foundations for three solid forward pairings:
Hyman-McDavid
RNH-Draisaitl
Kane-McLeod

Then, we can build around those with other players. Something like:
Hyman-McDavid-Henrique
RNH-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kane-McLeod-Perry/Holloway

And the bottom line a rotation of Holloway/Perry/Carrick/Brown/Ryan/Janmark

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Then swap Kane and Henrique.
Could also go
Kane - McDavid - Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Foegele
Janmark - Nuge - Brown

That’s potentially insane depth.
A lot of balance in those lines but the problem becomes how to distribute minutes.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If the Oil lose the first two games do you reconsider the lines or do you go with "who took you to the dance" to the bitter end?

Depends how you lose those games. If they are completely shut down, maybe you consider it, but if they score 2-3 goals a game and the other lines cough up 3 or 4 goals against, then you tweak other lines instead of that one.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
If the Oil lose the first two games do you reconsider the lines or do you go with "who took you to the dance" to the bitter end?
You suggested tearing apart one of the potent outscoring duos in the NHL this season to start the series. It’s utterly ridiculous and would be an asinine move on Knoblauch’s part.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You go with what works to start and change it if it doesn’t. You don’t break up the best duo in the NHL cause Kane used to be good. If the line goes stale change it up but like. Kane had 3 goals last year in the playoffs. And he is worse this year.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You suggested tearing apart one of the potent outscoring duos in the NHL this season to start the series. It’s utterly ridiculous and would be an asinine move on Knoblauch’s part.
No. That sounds like Jay Woodcroft talk.

Like someone about to get out coached.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Henrique - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisitl - Foegle
Kane - Mcleod - Perry
Janmark - D.Ryan - Brown

Carrick - If you need a physical boost.
Holloway - If you're desperate for speed. Fun to watch but I noticed he struggles against quality competition defensively. Would be nice to see him pop though.

Exactly this is how we start game 1.
Getting under VGK skin with agitators like Perry and Kane are how we beat them. Also need our PK to be top notch b/c for every blatant penalty the VGK get, the Oilers will get 2 meh called against.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We could try something really fun to see if we can better balance all three of our scoring lines.

Hyman - McDavid - Nuge
Foegele - Draisaitl - Holloway
Henrique - Mcleod - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

I think Holloway sits until we need to make a shuffle, and then he might come out for Ryan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad