Fully Healthy Who Sits? Where do you play Kane

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I do not think there is enough discussion around this. If the team is fully healthy who sits?

Where does Evander Kane play? Our top 6 looks pretty set in stone

How to you play him on line 3 and break up Holloway Mcleod Perry? Holloway has been up and down, but this line has showed so much more than with Kane. Holloway seems to be making great adjustments and listening to Perry. I also feel like Kane is too slow of a winger for Perry.

What do we do with Kane?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Who sits?

Holloway? He was a gamer vs the Sharks and we could sure use his speed.
Kane? He's been bad lately but how do you do this.
Janmark? He seems to frequently play and is a key Pker
Brown? I can’t see this and he has been much better lately.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If Mcdrai are split I’d go

Henrique Mcdavid Hyman
Nuge Drai Foegele
Holloway Mcleod Perry
Kane ???? Brown

Tough to scratch Janmark, but I would. Move Kane up for the odd shift and give Henrique a break

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Who sits?

Holloway? He was a gamer vs the Sharks and we could sure use his speed.

Kane? He's been bad lately but how do you do this.
Janmark? He seems to frequently play and is a key Pker
Brown? I can’t see this and he has been much better lately.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If Mcdrai are split I’d go

Henrique Mcdavid Hyman
Nuge Drai Foegele
Holloway Mcleod Perry
Kane ???? Brown

Tough to scratch Janmark, but I would. Move Kane up for the odd shift and give Henrique a break
Actually...Kane ahs been good lately.
Ever since Perry's little chat he has been a much better player.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its a good question but I don’t have the answers.

I personally like Holloways speed in the bottom 6.

For all the line blending we did, maybe we should of tried Janmark as a 4C more. Holloway should probably be in the lineup over Carrick/Ryan but then we don’t have a center.

Team has a bottom 6 problem though. Guys go there and fade away. Having guys like Kane or Foegele on the third line should really make this teams depth better but in reality, it doesn’t seem to happen.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The best answer is on the third line with McLeod and Perry to create a veteran identity line that will crash, bang, agitate and score goals. Dylan Holloway should be an option on the 4th line should size/speed/physicality be an issue there, but not on the third. The Sharks game was fun, but against actual NHL competition he was a primary culprit on rush goals against two games in a row. He is not prepared to play any sort of key role in the playoffs yet, especially for a team like ours that struggles with rush defense and puck management in the neutral zone.

Was listening to Got Yer Back this afternoon and it was near the point of banging my head against the wall. "Evander Kane HAS to be in the top 6!" Why? I wish one person could explain why. If he's the scoring element on a disruptive 3rd line that is more valuable by far than him being a tag along in the top 6.

Almost all Stanley Cup Champions have a third line that is an impact line. Kane gives that line an opportunity to be impact, I don't see anyone else who does.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I would like to see the following...

McDavid, Hyman and Kane together.
Slide RNH down to Draisaitls line with Foegele on the other wing.

Mix and match on the bottom 2 lines.
I like something similar to this. Nuge should help Drai as they have been struggling BAD to find him wingers that work.

I personally think Henrique and his strong hockey IQ is a better fit with McDavid than Kane. Kane looks cooked.

Also if you move Henrique off the top line where does he go and who sits????

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like something similar to this. Nuge should help Drai as they have been struggling BAD to find him wingers that work.

I personally think with Henrique and his strong hockey IQ is a better fit with McDavid than Kane. Kane looks cooked.

Also if you move Henrique off the top line where does he go and who sits????
Henrique is essentially RNH with slower boots. Both are smart players.

I think though that Kane needs to play in the playoffs and he just wont get enough minutes to be effective if he plays in the bottom 6.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Henrique is essentially RNH with slower boots. Both are smart players.

I think though that Kane needs to play in the playoffs and he just wont get enough minutes to be effective if he plays in the bottom 6.
Yup very similar players. Henrique is smarter and Nuge is faster.

Henrique is bigger and better in front of the net, overall Nuge is the better player tho

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Kane is a guy you want for the post season. You play him wherever you can and make adjustments after. Him and Henrique can easily flip flop. I don't think anything is set in stone come post season.
I will agree with this, but my god has he been bad. If he really is cooked how on earth can we risk breaking up the top 9

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I will agree with this, but my god has he been bad. If he really is cooked how on earth can we risk breaking up the top 9

Have you been watching the last couple of weeks? He's been far from "cooked" or even "bad." Also the top 9 looked fantastic in multiple games with him there, on the third line, making an impact. Like he's done literally every time the Kane - McLeod - Perry line has played together outside of the hiccup in Calgary.

Reactions: Bobieque and Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thats fair. Thats an element in Henriques game that RNH doesnt really have.
Henrique is definitely a net front scorer looking at his scoring results. Maybe more natural in his game but also a product of a top line lead veteran guy on a flatlined team in Anaheim. I think it's maybe moreso that Nugent Hopkins adapts to the line and role needed. With McDavid's slashing, penetrating disruptive game and Hyman's elite net front presence, Nuge is the defensive consciousness who provides high cover support for two heavy forecheck players. Can't get three guys caught behind the play when pucks go the other way. Similar support as wing on Draisaitl's line with forward support work often defensive zone help with net front backtrack.

The strong puck control, low turnover play is a good complement to McDavid and Draisaitl. Unfortunately, Nugent Hopkins can drift abit too much in the 'safety zone' sacrificing offence to mitigate defending help. His shot though has regressed this year in terms of effectiveness but also according to NHLEdge critical velocity on the average shooting speed (like 12 MPH below last season).

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Henrique - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisitl - Foegle
Kane - Mcleod - Perry
Janmark - D.Ryan - Brown

Carrick - If you need a physical boost.
Holloway - If you're desperate for speed. Fun to watch but I noticed he struggles against quality competition defensively. Would be nice to see him pop though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Henrique is definitely a net front scorer looking at his scoring results. Maybe more natural in his game but also a product of a top line lead veteran guy on a flatlined team in Anaheim. I think it's maybe moreso that Nugent Hopkins adapts to the line and role needed. With McDavid's slashing, penetrating disruptive game and Hyman's elite net front presence, Nuge is the defensive consciousness who provides high cover support for two heavy forecheck players. Can't get three guys caught behind the play when pucks go the other way. Similar support as wing on Draisaitl's line with forward support work often defensive zone help with net front backtrack.

The strong puck control, low turnover play is a good complement to McDavid and Draisaitl. Unfortunately, Nugent Hopkins can drift abit too much in the 'safety zone' sacrificing offence to mitigate defending help. His shot though has regressed this year in terms of effectiveness but also according to NHLEdge critical velocity on the average shooting speed (like 12 MPH below last season).
Strong take.
I dont disagree with any of this.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Playoff Kane is very different from regular season Kane. You play him in the top6 come Game 1.
Funny thing is you don't

Have you been watching the last couple of weeks? He's been far from "cooked" or even "bad." Also the top 9 looked fantastic in multiple games with him there, on the third line, making an impact. Like he's done literally every time the Kane - McLeod - Perry line has played together outside of the hiccup in Calgary.

He's been ok. Definitely has not been playing well enough to take a top 6 spot.

I will agree that line 3 to start will be:

Kane Mcleod Perry. It will be Kane's spot until he loses it.

I do not agree with this tho. Mainly for the reason that we are a slow team and this is a slow line

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not sure Holloway slapping around one of the worst lineups I have ever seen convinces me he should play higher in the lineup than Kane.

His speed is refreshing though.
Holloway was winning battles all over the ice. His compete level was high. He provides much needed speed to a slow line up and surely he can make this playoff roster over someone.

This is why the thread was started

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I do not think there is enough discussion around this. If the team is fully healthy who sits?

Where does Evander Kane play? Our top 6 looks pretty set in stone

How to you play him on line 3 and break up Holloway Mcleod Perry? Holloway has been up and down, but this line has showed so much more than with Kane. Holloway seems to be making great adjustments and listening to Perry. I also feel like Kane is too slow of a winger for Perry.

What do we do with Kane?
Sit Draisaitl, he sucks.:D

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: oobga and Duke74

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Yup very similar players. Henrique is smarter and Nuge is faster.

Henrique is bigger and better in front of the net, overall Nuge is the better player tho

Yeah that's my take as well.

Truth be told, that "go to the net and good things will happen" mentality works better as a McWinger than Nuge does. And although Hyman super works well there, I don't think Kane would be out of place next to McRico (trademarking that!). More good news: RNH has a long history of also working well with Drai.

I think the starting duos for the top 6 are...

Henrique-McDavid-______
RNH-Drai-_______

... And you see which pair Kane and Hyman click better with. Though we all know at the first sign of trouble, they're going to go to McDrai.

As for the bottom 6. Yes Holloway-McLeod-Perry has looked good, but so has Foegele-McLeod-Perry whenever they're together. Those 3 will be the starting combo. That leaves the 4th line. Janmark and Brown are locks, so whom do you like most to round out the forwards:
  • The gritty, but limited Carrick?
  • The smart, but undersized Ryan?
  • Or the high-energy rookie?
The heart says Ryan, but I feel like he's starting to show his age. I really want to say Holloway, but I think Carrick will be the game 1 options.

Personally though, I wouldn't mind specializing each line in the bottom 6:
McLeod is your best defensive bottom 6 centre? Great, then play him with Janmark and Brown and get a trustworthy defensive line.
Perry's an amazing pest and can drive the offence, while Holloway and Foegele bring a ton of energy? Sounds like a fantastic energy line to me.

Janmark-McLeod-Brown
Foegele-Holloway-Perry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad