Confirmed with Link: Frk re-claimed by the Wings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really haven't paid attention to when players were drafted and who was in charge of the draft. Who have been some of Tyler Wright's great draft picks who have panned out so far?

Let's start from Dylan Larkin. Then there's Mantha and Bertuzzi (Wright wasn't at organization when we picked them, he joined July 10th 2013, but Nill+McDonnell were already gone at April 2013 and not picking guys, them being gone was instantly enough to have a more successful draft). All drafted from North America, and NA drafting did suck totally for 18 seasons under Jim Nill and Joe McDonnel. Just check the results.

Obviously, when Wright has been our scouting director not more than 3 drafts, pretty much most of the guys are still in jurior leagues. But the results have been promising. Svechnikov, and this Hronek pickup also looks great. We need more time to analyze others any further. After 15 years, we know much better.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Guys need to calm down. We have role players a plenty. Realistically, hes not going to be better than a third liner regardless of how far he goes.

We dont need guys who can score 20-25 points. We need guys who can score 40+.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Let's start from Dylan Larkin. Then there's Mantha and Bertuzzi. All drafted from North America, and NA drafting did suck totally for 18 seasons under Jim Nill and Joe McDonnel. Just check the results.

Obviously, when Wright has been our scouting director not more than 3 drafts, pretty much most of the guys are still in jurior leagues. But the results have been promising.

This Hronek pickup also looks great.

mantha and bertuzzi were mcdonnell (but not nill) picks. wright was hired after that draft.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Guys need to calm down. We have role players a plenty. Realistically, hes not going to be better than a third liner regardless of how far he goes.

I think management is doing the team a disservice by not having a steady influx of young 4th liners added to the team. You need guys who can provide energy for 82+ games a year, guys like Miller and Ott slow down by the end of the year and are way overpaid (in Miller's case) for what this team needs. Frk may not be that guy, but there's plenty of guys who should have been given a look in that role instead of going with guys from Michigan.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
mantha and bertuzzi were mcdonnell (but not nill) picks. wright was hired after that draft.

So basically, outside of Larkin (who was one of our highest picks in a long time) none of the players Wright has drafted has done anything yet. Hopefully he knows what he's doing and we'll have some elite talent soon.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pretty much this.

Who would Frk outplay on the long run?

Our winger depth chart on short-term:
Zetterberg
Abdelkader
Nyquist
Tatar
Vanek
Athanasiou
Mantha

Sheahan
Svechnikov
Bertuzzi

Pulkkinen/Frk

how advantageously are you going to define "short term" when four guys on your short term chart aren't even on the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
how advantageously are you going to define "short term" when four guys on your short term chart aren't even on the team.

So, you count them off, and there still isn't a spot even near to play at TOP9 offensive role, when there's only 6 winger spots to complete that.

That was the point.

No spot for Frk, short-term or long-term.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

That's not the points being made, though. We're looking at a trend line with the Wings retaining bottom line veteran fodder and losing young, cheap, NHL talent for rentals and/or waivers. With a team crunched against the cap, this kind of thing adds up.

The second point is that these players often exceed what they accomplished in Detroit elsewhere, thus showing the Wings aren't maximizing value of their prospect pool.

So I think most of us are pretty calm.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The point isn't that the Wings should have kept Frk, it's that there was clearly interest in Frk and Holland got absolutely nothing for it. He shouldn't have had to give Frk away like he did.

This is the main point. As a good GM, you need to have a suspicion that a claim was coming, and therefore he should have been working the phones and at least got a 4th/5th/6th round pick for him. Asset management is key. Now we lost an asset for nothing. Although Frk may not had a future with Detroit, it is Holland's job as GM to manage his assets, and get something in return.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
This is the main point. As a good GM, you need to have a suspicion that a claim was coming, and therefore he should have been working the phones and at least got a 4th/5th/6th round pick for him. Asset management is key. Now we lost an asset for nothing. Although Frk may not had a future with Detroit, it is Holland's job as GM to manage his assets, and get something in return.

A good GM would wait to see if said player is put on waivers first before deciding whether or not to give up an asset.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So, you count them off, and there still isn't a spot even near to play at TOP9 offensive role, when there's only 6 winger spots to complete that.

That was the point.

No spot for Frk, short-term or long-term.

Pulkkinen's. Sheahan found himself on the fourth line last year. Helm should be on the fourth line except he picked himself one helluva fiance. Ditch Miller. Or just keep Frk as your 13th forward. Which might mean ditching Miller but that's not going to hurt the team any.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So basically, outside of Larkin (who was one of our highest picks in a long time) none of the players Wright has drafted has done anything yet. Hopefully he knows what he's doing and we'll have some elite talent soon.

And Jim Nill got a chance to pick him before the Red Wings. They had 14th overall and Red Wings had 15th overall.

What does that tell about Nill's abilities?

Now, if we redraft 2014, Larkin goes easily at TOP5 with Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennet.

And this 14th overall Nill-drafted Rh defenceman Julius Honka drops nearer end of the 1st round. This is exactly what happened year after year at Detroit during 1995-2012. Bad picks dropping at ranks after draft, if it wasn't Andersson-drafted miracle-European.

Nill has already lost his 2013 10th overall Nichuskin to KHL and this 12th overall Gurianov-reach at 2015 draft doesn't look more than failure either. 2014 he just missed Larkin when all this information about a Michigan native prospect from his childhood to draft day were on their hands. Nill without Andersson-information about European draftees is starting to be best draft-comedy maybe ever.

I'm just more than happy not seeing these reaches at our organization anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Where are the reports that KH refused trades for Frk? Maybe he could have traded him for Landon Farraro. If so what's the point?

Frk had no trade value. He'll do just fine helping the hurricanes tank
If 3 teams wanted Frk, he had trade value. Holland just didn't do his due diligence and find it. These teams didn't put in claims for Frk just for funsies. They did it because they'd actually scouted him and he had value to their organizations. It's Holland's job to realize that value and trade a player he doesn't have room for.

It's not that KH refused trades, it's that he knew there was no room for Frk, and he didn't make a move to address that fact. It's not like this move was decided on the ice; Frk outplayed Pulkkinen, and the organization decided to keep Pulkkinen regardless of actual on-ice play. They knew what they were going to do before they did it, and they did nothing to capitalize on the value they just gave away. That's mismanagement.

What's worse is the Wings are positioned to keep doing this. They have an entire development plan based on sneaking guys through waivers these days, and teams like Carolina are going to feast on it. Detroit is simply not doing enough to develop these guys within the timeframe they have, and it's starting to cost them bigtime. I think a part of that is not giving guys opportunities to play up a bit and get a look at how hard it is. There's just too much of a brick wall between GR and Detroit, and it's hurting the development process.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If 3 teams wanted Frk, he had trade value.

Because he was free. Teams aren't giving away draft picks for these guys, no matter how low they are.

Detroit is simply not doing enough to develop these guys within the timeframe they have, and it's starting to cost them bigtime.

Total overreaction. At some point you have to realize a lot of prospects never make it, and that a lot of these guys we're talking about simply aren't as good as they were hyped up to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Because he was free. Teams aren't giving away draft picks for these guys, no matter how low they are.
You don't think they'd pay a conditional 7th or swap AHLers? Something is better than nothing.

But even so, I doubt this. Maybe if it had been 1 team. But multiple teams were interested. A better GM could have shopped that a little bit and gotten something.

Remember, this isn't just teams taking a flyer or something only to stash him in the AHL. They have to keep Frk on their NHL roster. There were 3 teams who took a good look and decided that Frk could be a useful NHLer for them this year. If you can't turn that into a conditional late round pick, you are not much of a dealmaker.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You don't think they'd pay a conditional 7th or swap AHLers? Something is better than nothing.

But even so, I doubt this. Maybe if it had been 1 team. But multiple teams were interested. A better GM could have shopped that a little bit and gotten something.

Remember, this isn't just teams taking a flyer or something only to stash him in the AHL. They have to keep Frk on their NHL roster. There were 3 teams who took a good look and decided that Frk could be a useful NHLer for them this year. If you can't turn that into a conditional late round pick, you are not much of a dealmaker.

I think 2 of those other teams could have been Colorado and Tampa Bay.

Re-unite Frk with MacKinnon or Drouin and hope that old chemistry comes back.

Frk could just have been a spare part for Yzerman until Kucherov signs, and then dump him back on waivers. Also Callahan is injured at the start of the year, so they need extra helpers temporarily on RW.

Colorado had some spots open, so who knows if they claim somebody else.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Total overreaction. At some point you have to realize a lot of prospects never make it, and that a lot of these guys we're talking about simply aren't as good as they were hyped up to be.

This one just 'made it'. You might want to, you know, realize that. :rolleyes:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What player has KH lost with no return that prospered someplace else? Nestasil?

How's our return for Jarnkrok doing this year? What about what we got back from Janmark? We junked these guys for deadline pickups that gave us nothing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This one just 'made it'. You might want to, you know, realize that. :eyeroll:

He made it? So, how many minutes has he played in the NHL then? You have not seen Martin Frk play a single minute of regular season NHL hockey. How about we pump the brakes a little bit on proclaiming him a huge lost asset. Because guess what, Jurco made it... and everyone wants to throw him to the trash. Pulkkinen made it and everyone wants to throw him to the trash. Ferraro made it and Boston showed him the door after we did.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What's worse is the Wings are positioned to keep doing this. They have an entire development plan based on sneaking guys through waivers these days, and teams like Carolina are going to feast on it. Detroit is simply not doing enough to develop these guys within the timeframe they have, and it's starting to cost them bigtime. I think a part of that is not giving guys opportunities to play up a bit and get a look at how hard it is. There's just too much of a brick wall between GR and Detroit, and it's hurting the development process.

And we'll keep throwing $4m a year at third liners and talking about how indispensable they are to our mediocrity.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How's our return for Jarnkrok doing this year? What about what we got back from Janmark? We junked these guys for deadline pickups that gave us nothing.

I'd say Vili Saarijarvi is a great consolation prize, certainly higher upside and fits a need than those players.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I live in Nashville and get to watch Preds games at my leisure. He's a hockey player, but not a player I, or anyoen else, would probably ever make a thread about. He's less of a loss for Detroit than the late great Shawn Matthias ever was.

As for the return for Detroit, I think Mr I is very happy to keep his playoff streak alive. I am sure it lined his pockets with a few extra million in profit., not to mention the marketing ploy he gets to use.

I think fans forget that DRWs isn't just a game or hobby, it's a business. Losing Jarkrok to keep the streak alive was probably more than worth it to the people who cash checks.

To the fans, it's meh. Jarnkrok isn't anything special.

So the trade was 25th consecutive playoff appearance for an unremarkable player with probably no future on the team with the emergence of Sheahan. Streak > Plug tweener

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd say Vili Saarijarvi is a great consolation prize, certainly higher upside and fits a need than those players.

And Janmark has now career threatening genetic-based knee injury, a problem both GMs knew during that trade.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...anmark-knee-surgery-friday-minimum-5-6-months
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2016/1...ery-osteochondritis-cartilage-update-jim-nill

I think we overpaid at time of the trade, but when reading these articles, it was already known by both sides, and Nill took the long-shot risk and now it doesn't look very promising for Janmark.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad