News Article: Friesen on Sawyer and the hazing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I don’t think Sawyer should be crucified for this particular incident (yet), when for all we know, Spurgeon could have been completely ok with it. Maybe even encouraged it. Some guys like to do anything for a laugh. I do realize that isn’t likely the case mind you.
The bragging about it on TV... just stupid. I know I shook my head.
You have to assume that he would not be going the route of “no comment” if that were the case.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
You have to assume that he would not be going the route of “no comment” if that were the case.

Maybe. But it’s not fair to assume things that can cost someone a career, the same as it’s not fair to assume someone is ok with being hazed.
A police officer could assume I was driving while I was on my phone because it appeared so. And it would go against my license, which my employer reviews, which is zero tolerance and I’d lose my job. Can’t assume the worst always without consequences.

Reactions: Channelcat

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Does Ferraro doing color commentary on recent Jets games have anything to do with this controversy or was this always the plan?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems like that had been planned, but the timing is interesting. I really like Ray as a colour commentator and catch myself waiting for the play to end just to hear Ray’s insight on the game.
Ray would be great to have full time. Wasn’t he doing Leafs feed with Cuthbert?

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
If you are waiting for TNSE to come down on the right side of this, don't hold your breathe. The have a wife beater's number retired, Zinger celebrates the fighting that likely contributed to Rypien's suicide in his public comments about the man and they happily employed a rapist on the blueline. They are every bit the knuckle draggers responsible for this behaviour in the first place.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If you are waiting for TNSE to come down on the right side of this, don't hold your breathe. The have a wife beater's number retired, Zinger celebrates the fighting that likely contributed to Rypien's suicide in his public comments about the man and they happily employed a rapist on the blueline. They are every bit the knuckle draggers responsible for this behaviour in the first place.
I just hope you are never in a position to determine the "right side"

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Seems like that had been planned, but the timing is interesting. I really like Ray as a colour commentator and catch myself waiting for the play to end just to hear Ray’s insight on the game.
Really? I had been starting to get the impression there was some punative action going on here.

Nov 24, 2006
I kind of cringed when he said it, and I'm surprised that TSN doesn't seem to care.

I understand that Sawyer was a player and coach during a "different time" but to be so tone deaf in 2020 that you're laughing about an incident like that on the air. That's the cringy part.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
You know schools are still doing this today, Even teachers and Principals are being duct-taped to walls.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Totally different scenario.
Yes but it's a horrible example to set for kids. We don't want you to haze anymore but we will show you examples of what hazing looks like by still having activities like this.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sawyer is not in a position of authority. He is a color commentator. Dismissing him on account of this? Asinine and short sighted.

Asinine and short-sighted? I think that is a bit of an overstatement. His little colour story was thoughtless and insensitive. Most of us are guilty of those things from time to time.

I don't much like his work but he seems like a decent enough guy. I have no ill will towards him. He should publicly apologize and move on. Firing him seems like a bit of an overreaction.

For those anxious to see him replaced, think back to all the auditions we saw after Hnidy left. Most of them made Sawyer look good.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Tsn don't care cuz the only ppl who care he said it is commenting on this thread. Some of you need to accept that this site is a vocal minority of fans and the avg fan doesn't give 2 craps what a commentator says

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

First I'm hearing of this. Do you have a link to a reputable source to back this up?

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Tsn don't care cuz the only ppl who care he said it is commenting on this thread. Some of you need to accept that this site is a vocal minority of fans and the avg fan doesn't give 2 craps what a commentator says
Your right, no one here mentioned it until the Sun article appeared yet it happened a couple of weeks back.

Reactions: Stumbledore

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

A wildfire can start from the smallest of embers. It just needs to be fed. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He absolutely WAS in a position of authority that the decade old accusation happened. And as we've established by precedent, that's still recent enough to destroy a career.

If you don't? Well, Jarret Spurgeon is a white male who is by all accounts 100% non-diverse in every other demographic category. You want to chum the waters in the "I TOLD you it's 'no bad tactics, only bad targets'!" pool? Cause that's how chum those waters.

The NHL has made clear what the rules are. Apply them consistently or get ready for **** to get worse before it gets better.

I just posted that firing him would be an overreaction. Firing him for his little story would be. But others have been fired for actions of 10 years ago and firing him for his part in the original incident might be another story. It would at least be somewhat consistent.

I have a little trouble with raking up incidents from years ago, especially to a time when they were generally accepted. In this case, telling that story would seem to indicate that he has not learned or changed his attitude so maybe firing is appropriate.

Does his role in that incident mean he is never to be allowed to work again? Does the punishment fit the crime? I'm not sure of the right place to draw the lines. He was in a position of authority at the time but he is not now. But he is now a public figure who might be considered to have some influence, however small.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't see anything wrong with this.

Even in the article it states it as so.

"Hazing incidents, once commonplace, are no longer tolerated. We take them seriously now, as abuses of authority."

Just a reporter trying to make up a story. Trying to tie it to another story on racism is pretty low though.
Not that I'm a Sawyer fan, but I see no value in making someone in to a villain because of ignorance instead of intent. Back then, hazing was indeed commonplace. Now, it is recognized for the ridiculous practice it is. It should not surprise anyone that along the way, there are old-timers who missed the memo. I heard Sawyer's story, and he sounded like someone who really did miss the memo. He sounded like someone reliving a fun, humorous moment, totally oblivious to how pro and amateur teams have evolved since then. This was his wake-up call (or it better be).

I'm sick of the "cancel" mentality simply because it's so knee-jerk. Hazing is wrong, Sawyer was wrong to glorify it. This is a teachable moment.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really? I had been starting to get the impression there was some punative action going on here.

How many games in a row have we had Ferraro? 3? I don't think that was planned, 1 maybe. Then there is the timing.

I don't recall exactly all of what Ferraro does but apparently he was not available for the Jets job when Sawyer got it. Fully occupied elsewhere.

My guess is that sawyer is suspended ATM, awaiting a decision on his future employment.

I would like to get Ferraro as the permanent colour man. I PVR the games and usually skip over 90% of what Sawyer says. I actually listen to Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad