Rumor: Friedman says there have been rumblings of the Flyers trading Nolan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Interesting, maybe a Kadri move for a different package makes sense then. Thoughts?
As you already know, Kadri is a polarizing player. I like him and would rather him than Hayes, honestly. Other Flyer fans can't stand him and would expect his suspensions to just keep continuing if he ever wore a Flyers jersey. Also one could be free to acquire except cap space, the other not so much.

I personally view Kadri as having similar value to Schenn when traded. And like it or not, that was a 1st(#27)+2nd...with it becoming a 2nd 1st to take Lehtera for 2 years. So to me, that would put Kadri in the 17ish-23 range in value if it was just him, no cap dump.(essentially the 2nd moves the 1st fro #27 up to that 17-23 range).

Problem becomes, Leaf fans will want #11. Some will say Philly add more. Some might even add to Kadri. But Philly just isn't in such a "win now" position to trade a high pick, for 3 years of someone. It would need to be for someone controlled longer to match their window more.

Personally, I think the Leafs should be keeping Kadri and run with 3 scoring lines and more importantly, have a 4th line that can defend against top 2 lines. No mor Ennis types on that line.

Oh, and to add, as much as I like Kadri, he had 31 ES points. Scott Laughton had 30 playing mostly #3 and #4C last year. So that plays into things too. Also Hayes has played the wing before so being able to slide him over when FROST is finally NHL C ready IN A FEW YEARS, would be nice to have.

Note: CAPS not directed at you ;)

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Was just hoping for a quick answer instead of reading 24 pages, but thanks.

Friedman "speculated" in 21 thoughts that Patrick might be in play and the thread was launched then Bobby Mac seemed to "speculate" Patrick" would not be in play.

Reactions: Mallard

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Friedman "speculated" in 21 thoughts that Patrick might be in play and the thread was launched then Bobby Mac seemed to "speculate" Patrick" would not be in play.
You are missing 10 thoughts! Maybe most important ones are towards the end. lol. Its the Fletcher answer that keeps the thread going: Not trading him but if a deal is done you will know why we did it. Kind of yada yada yada nada.

Reactions: ps241

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
That's my point. This thread was made with the "oh boy Patrick's available".

Where is the thread made about Patrick being an untouchable like Bob said? "cricketts"

Given this section of the forum is dubbed trade rumors, wouldn't make sense to have a thread about someone being unavailable. What a ridiculous counter argument.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A couple of reasons I can think of:

- rumors around town that Johnny is a bit of a party animal.
- worries that he has been unable to turn it on in the post season at this level
- his father had a health incident last year mid way through. Luckily he seems ok, but this may provide impetus for Johnny to ask about plying out east

It would take a lot for us to trade him but I have a feeling it's not that far fetched.

That seems like a massive overreaction to one flat series in the playoffs when the entire team stunk. Perhaps Johnny is a bit of a fun Bobby but how much did it really impact him if he came up 1 point shy of 100 points this season? Johnny is dynamic super star franchise player that is 25 years old and your GM would be drawn and quartered for trading him IMO.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Given this section of the forum is dubbed trade rumors, wouldn't make sense to have a thread about someone being unavailable. What a ridiculous counter argument.

Its also ridiculous to continue to discuss trade rumors on a player that a more reputable source has confirmed isnt true. Especially since the original source wasnt even a rumor, just a 'musing' by someone known to throw muck against the wall.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Then it's time to shut down the thread.
That time passed a while back....lol. But yes.
You know, you are right. that is silly.

Maybe what should have happened is someone post a more recent report from Bobby Mac refuting Freidman's "musings". Hmmmm...oh wait, that happened in this thread and here we are with the thread still open.

Hell...look what Fletch himself said about kids.....and please note, Frost is a just turned 20 year old prospect.

“It's a tough league for 20- and 21-year-old kids. “I think the odds would be against them making our team coming out of camp,” Fletcher said of the prospects in the system. For 20-year-old kids, in [Joel] Farabee's case 19, to get some playing time in the AHL is always a preferable option.

Does that sound like a GM that is going to run with Patrick, Frost and Laughton as their #2-4 centers? No. He is looking to add Hayes so Frost can start in the AHL and Frost's play will dictate what happens next. Maybe Frost shines and only needs half a year then could start on the wing like Giroux. Maybe Frost needs a full year. Maybe Frost gets hurt like Rubstov did 14 games into his AHL career and looses a whole season of development.

the entire point is Hayes is being looked at, because the Flyers NEED a C...not to swap one out. And here we are today, and Hayes has not signed. So we have not even gotten to having the C depth we need, and people assume it's to trade Patrick...once again leaving the Flyers needing a C.

It's dumb logic.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
That time passed a while back....lol. But yes.
You know, you are right. that is silly.

Maybe what should have happened is someone post a more recent report from Bobby Mac refuting Freidman's "musings". Hmmmm...oh wait, that happened in this thread and here we are with the thread still open.

Hell...look what Fletch himself said about kids.....and please note, Frost is a just turned 20 year old prospect.

“It's a tough league for 20- and 21-year-old kids. “I think the odds would be against them making our team coming out of camp,” Fletcher said of the prospects in the system. For 20-year-old kids, in [Joel] Farabee's case 19, to get some playing time in the AHL is always a preferable option.

Does that sound like a GM that is going to run with Patrick, Frost and Laughton as their #2-4 centers? No. He is looking to add Hayes so Frost can start in the AHL and Frost's play will dictate what happens next. Maybe Frost shines and only needs half a year then could start on the wing like Giroux. Maybe Frost needs a full year. Maybe Frost gets hurt like Rubstov did 14 games into his AHL career and looses a whole season of development.

the entire point is Hayes is being looked at, because the Flyers NEED a C...not to swap one out. And here we are today, and Hayes has not signed. So we have not even gotten to having the C depth we need, and people assume it's to trade Patrick...once again leaving the Flyers needing a C.

It's dumb logic.
Nolan was drafted at the top for a reason, you take his contract into consideration + his potential... cap space is so crucial... it really doesn't make sense to give up on Nolan... have patience and he'll probably turn into a special player like Couturier

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Signed Briere
Traded 2nd(TJ Brennan) for Biron
Traded a 1st for Timonen and Hartnell
Traded Carter for Voracek, 1st(Couturier) and 3rd(Cousins)
Traded Richards for Schenn and Simmonds + 2nd
Traded Ole-Kristian Tollefsen +5th for Leino...then was smart NOT to re-sign Leino(sorry Sabre fans)
Signed Bobrovsky when no one else had him on their radar. Unfortunately old owner would not wait to full development.
Traded Lupul, Sbisa, 2 1sts(Moore and Etem-what a waste...lol) for Pronger. Unfortunate eye injury ended thing early
Traded Versteeg for 2nd and 3rd...picked Gostisbehere
Traded 4th rounder for Streit...gave them 3 good years

Holmgren certainly made some bad moves, but also made some very good ones.

I also wonder why people ignore that Bobby Mac said Patrick won't be moved, AFTER Friedman posted his tweet.
I'll give you much of that, most of his good came early, but things went south as he tried to keep a sinking ship afloat
1st and a 3rd for 27 games of Versteeg
contracts of Jody Shelley, Vinnie Lecavalier
Gagne for Matt Walker, his contract and a 4th
JVR for Luke Schenn
salary cap hell
one of the worst prospect pools in the league by the end
and worst of all...our 1st for Steve Eminger

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I'll give you much of that, most of his good came early, but things went south as he tried to keep a sinking ship afloat
1st and a 3rd for 27 games of Versteeg
contracts of Jody Shelley, Vinnie Lecavalier
Gagne for Matt Walker, his contract and a 4th
JVR for Luke Schenn
salary cap hell
one of the worst prospect pools in the league by the end
and worst of all...our 1st for Steve Eminger

John Carlson. :help:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think this one has been beaten to death. Closed unless we hear something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad