Rumor: Friedman says there have been rumblings of the Flyers trading Nolan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Thats kind of the crux of it for us though. Flyers dont need futures. If we're moving Patrick, it has to be for an immediate upgrade (and obviously wed add, dependent upon the upgrade). I dont think anyone thinks he actually holds enough value to bring that player back. But if we arent getting something back that significantly improves the team now, theres really no point in trading him.

That's fair. The Oilers don't really want futures either.. they need NHL players, good ones, who can help the team right now and grow with the core.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Whether Jets/Flyers want to agree or not, there really seems to be a match made in heaven with a deal surrounding Trouba & Patrick.

Jets fans won't like the risk were inheriting and the inability of filling a hole on the back end. Flyers fans feel theyre giving up a top tier prospect and their centre depth. I guess it's all dependant on if Hayes signs. A 6x6 contract for Hayes to me would signal an available Patrick, IMO. 3Cs can be picked up fair easily if needing to fill a hole.

Odd scenario as Flyers org seems to be in a "We're done losing, let's kick start this thing" which could make the Patrick trade plausible. Fills both organizations needs.

Flyers fans will cite that he is off the table, but according to Friedman, there are rumblings that he may be available. Just seems to make a ton of sense for both teams

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Whether Jets/Flyers want to agree or not, there really seems to be a match made in heaven with a deal surrounding Trouba & Patrick.

Jets fans won't like the risk were inheriting and the inability of filling a hole on the back end. Flyers fans feel theyre giving up a top tier prospect and their centre depth. I guess it's all dependant on if Hayes signs. A 6x6 contract for Hayes to me would signal an available Patrick, IMO. 3Cs can be picked up fair easily if needing to fill a hole.

Odd scenario as Flyers org seems to be in a "We're done losing, let's kick start this thing" which could make the Patrick trade plausible. Fills both organizations needs.

Flyers fans will cite that he is off the table, but according to Friedman, there are rumblings that he may be available. Just seems to make a ton of sense for both teams

This I find somewhat illogical. They're making a move for Hayes because their center depth is bad. That doesn't mean they'd move out another center, particularly with the upside that Patrick has, once they've addressed that problem.

Like, "haha, we've got our stopgap! time to open that hole right back up!"

Whileee

May 29, 2010

My concern is that I'm not sure whether Patrick will progress into a good #2C, which is the minimum he needs to become in exchange for a young top-pairing RD like Trouba. If the Flyers are even considering trading Patrick at this point, two years after drafting him at #2, they must have identified some serious concerns.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Jets fans are going to be real disappointed if they think someone like Patrick isnt enough for Trouba. He's a one year rental. Those go for an often underwhelming package of futures. Not bonafide NHLers under team control for another 6 years

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If the Flyers are even considering trading Patrick at this point, two years after drafting him at #2, they must have identified some serious concerns.

They aren't.

And according to a more recent report by Bob MacKenzie, Patrick IS NOT available.

But let's all keep ignoring that.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Fletch looks at C depth.

Couts: #1C
Patrick #3C
Laughton:#4C ideally

"We need a C, let's look into Hayes". Makes a trade for Hayes rights.

HF: With Hayes not even signed, "Patrick must be available"

OR, Maybe Fletch just wants 4 centers so we don't have to ice players like Weal, Varone and Knight again this year at C. Naw...can't be that.

How about we close every "Flyers trade center..." thread until AT LEAST Hayes is actually signed???? Christ, right now the Flyers still NEED a C. They are not trading one away and then needing 2 centers.

Common sense people!

Reactions: mercury

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Philly would be better served trading giroux ( have gotten nowhere with him as captain) and vorachek and rolling with a core of drafted talent. Couturier, provorov, ghost, hart and Nolan are a damn good start. That's a num 1 center at 4 mil, a num2 that could be a num 1 in Nolan, a num 1 D in Prov and a num 2 in ghost. Not to mention a stud goalie.

If I were Philly, I'd slap the C on coutts an A on Prov and let them be the new group.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
They aren't.

And according to a more recent report by Bob MacKenzie, Patrick IS NOT available.

But let's all keep ignoring that.

What's the title of this thread? Not ignoring anything because both sides have been mentioned. Unless anyone has insider knowledge of which likely no one does, we can't say forsure if he's on or off the table. These forums are the highest state of hyperbolic speculation for the fun of discussing trades that could/couldn't happen.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This I find somewhat illogical. They're making a move for Hayes because their center depth is bad. That doesn't mean they'd move out another center, particularly with the upside that Patrick has, once they've addressed that problem.

Like, "haha, we've got our stopgap! time to open that hole right back up!"

If the deal was expanded and the Jets included Lowry or Copp (both capable 3C's) and philly added a d prospect or their first rounder, your centre depth is kept intact. Frost is on his way up as well.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If the deal was expanded and the Jets included Lowry or Copp (both capable 3C's) and philly added a d prospect or their first rounder, your centre depth is kept intact. Frost is on his way up as well.

Ah so if the Flyers traded out Nolan Patrick and their 11th overall pick they could get an RFA defenseman and a 4th line center? Sick, ya don't say. Oh, sorry, a "capable 3C" that has never topped 30 points, and unlike Patrick doesn't have any development curve left to chart.

Either way, yeah, sick. Sign me up.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What's the title of this thread? Not ignoring anything because both sides have been mentioned. Unless anyone has insider knowledge of which likely no one does, we can't say forsure if he's on or off the table. These forums are the highest state of hyperbolic speculation for the fun of discussing trades that could/couldn't happen.
That's my point. This thread was made with the "oh boy Patrick's available".

Where is the thread made about Patrick being an untouchable like Bob said? "cricketts"

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Why does Philly want to trade him?

They don't want to. Trading Patrick is stupid.

People forget that 2 years ago our biggest problem was a future Top 6C in the org. We were gifted one via the lottery and a few dopes want to trade him for something we have a ton of: top-end D talent.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
They don't want to. Trading Patrick is stupid.

People forget that 2 years ago our biggest problem was a future Top 6C in the org. We were gifted one via the lottery and a few dopes want to trade him for something we have a ton of: top-end D talent.

Exactly, I agree it would be stupid so was just wondering if I was missing something.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Except, he isn't being shopped. This entire thread has ignored that AFTER EF tweeted out his opinion, Bobby Mac listed Patrick as the guys that won't be moved for sure.

Completely ignored it, and still do.

Fletch wants to ADD a C because Patrick has not proved he is a #2 C yet AND because Frost has not proved he is even an NHLer yet. If Frost isn't ready, and regardless of what Patrivk does, the Flyers are short a C. Adding a C makes sense since Frost can start in the AHL of needed, then at wing in the NHL.

so again, Patrick is not available...unless of course it was a deal that blew them away. And that's not Kadri.

Interesting, maybe a Kadri move for a different package makes sense then. Thoughts?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Philly would be better served trading giroux ( have gotten nowhere with him as captain) and vorachek and rolling with a core of drafted talent. Couturier, provorov, ghost, hart and Nolan are a damn good start. That's a num 1 center at 4 mil, a num2 that could be a num 1 in Nolan, a num 1 D in Prov and a num 2 in ghost. Not to mention a stud goalie.

If I were Philly, I'd slap the C on coutts an A on Prov and let them be the new group.
Yeah, because that's Giroux fault, what kind of logic is this?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Why would the Flamers trade their best forward who is on a great contract?
A couple of reasons I can think of:

- rumors around town that Johnny is a bit of a party animal.
- worries that he has been unable to turn it on in the post season at this level
- his father had a health incident last year mid way through. Luckily he seems ok, but this may provide impetus for Johnny to ask about plying out east

It would take a lot for us to trade him but I have a feeling it's not that far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad