Rumor: Friedman on Domi - "The Coyotes are prepared to give him a fresh start"

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They better not trade Domi.
I agree. I don't think they will because his value has to be low now, so the return would not be worth it. Tocc has a hand in Domi's performance I suspect. Moving him to C, a position with way more responsibility didn't help him either. Max needs to simplify not complicate his game now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's having an identity crisis. They told him not to fight and he dull the requisite edge to his game down far too much, making him much less effective. Then there was the season's start which was demoralizing to everyone. Then there's this new leadership group and where does he fit there? New staff and new system to adjust to. Then he's horrifically snake bit to start with a 2% shooting percentage. Then before he gets any of the above figured out they stuck him at C and now he has to figure out how to be a responsible center with way more responsibilities. He's in his head. Just wrote the season off and start with a clean slate on camp next year. At left wing.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's having an identity crisis. They told him not to fight and he dull the requisite edge to his game down far too much, making him much less effective. Then there was the season's start which was demoralizing to everyone. Then there's this new leadership group and where does he fit there? New staff and new system to adjust to. Then he's horrifically snake bit to start with a 2% shooting percentage. Then before he gets any of the above figured out they stuck him at C and now he has to figure out how to be a responsible center with way more responsibilities. He's in his head. Just wrote the season off and start with a clean slate on camp next year. At left wing.
This is my take although I'm looking at upcoming lottery and our roster makeup (Perlini, Keller, Fischer) and I'm of the opinion that I wouldn't be opposed of a move that addressed other needs. Not sure what that means other than I don't consider Domi as untouchable as others.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is my take although I'm looking at upcoming lottery and our roster makeup (Perlini, Keller, Fischer) and I'm of the opinion that I wouldn't be opposed of a move that addressed other needs. Not sure what that means other than I don't consider Domi as untouchable as others.

What need does selling way, way low on Domi address?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What need does selling way, way low on Domi address?
I'm not advocating selling low. I'm saying that at some point if an opportunity presents itself where you can use Domi as part of a package to address an organizational weakness I would explore it. I'm not saying we must trade him now/after this season.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not advocating selling low. I'm saying that at some point if an opportunity presents itself where you can use Domi as part of a package to address an organizational weakness I would explore it. I'm not saying we must trade him now/after this season.
We should be willing to trade any winger to address needs other than Keller who could be a superstar. 1C/2C/Top4D are more important then any winger and wingers are easy to replace.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why the hell are they playing him at center if they are testing his value? His value goes down every game. I mean, I know he should shine with Rinaldo and Rieder...
They have no one else to center and too many Left Wings.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The only reason to entertain trading Domi is if he wants out. There is no other reason for the team to move a skilled 22 yr old in the middle of his worst campaign to date. He looks like he's completely emotionally disengaged.
We just traded his bff because he gave up and wanted out after being jerked around on a team that is a disaster on and off ice. That same guy mentioned it being a tough situation for himself "and a couple other guys".
Do the math.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The only reason to entertain trading Domi is if he wants out. There is no other reason for the team to move a skilled 22 yr old in the middle of his worst campaign to date. He looks like he's completely emotionally disengaged.
We just traded his bff because he gave up and wanted out after being jerked around on a team that is a disaster on and off ice. That same guy mentioned it being a tough situation for himself "and a couple other guys".
Do the math.

They can't trade everyone. See, this is another problem with having a kid GM. We need a seasoned professional to step in and fix this mess. Get everyone on the same page. Maybe they can hire a team president to manage our coach and GM. This franchise lacks a leader on and off the ice. Shane Doan assistant gm/VP? I don't know if there is one person that can fix this but they need someone to rally around bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They can't trade everyone. See, this is another problem with having a kid GM. We need a seasoned professional to step in and fix this mess. Get everyone on the same page. Maybe they can hire a team president to manage our coach and GM. This franchise lacks a leader on and off the ice. Shane Doan assistant gm/VP? I don't know if there is one person that can fix this but they need someone to rally around bad.

They should have hired a team president last year and Doan at some capacity this year. When dealing with a bunch of millionaire babies that have to be coddled takes experience.:) I think Doan would command much respect even if he isn't playing, and much more than Chayka is getting.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This franchise has had an albatross around it's neck for years with ownership and relocation drama. Perhaps the anxiety has impact on the guys wearing the sweater. Duclair had setbacks and OEL is out of sorts.

Domi's goal production is lacking but he does have a fair amount of assists.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't mind Doan learning elsewhere before taking some sort of role with the Coyotes. Right now, he has no idea what he's doing and there's no one to teach him in AZ either.

I'm very much in favor of taking the Pres of Hockey Ops title from Chayka and giving it to someone else this offseason. Lombardi, Gillis, Laurence Gilman. Maybe Ken Holland once he's canned by the Red Wings and if he's willing to come to AZ.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't mind Doan learning elsewhere before taking some sort of role with the Coyotes. Right now, he has no idea what he's doing and there's no one to teach him in AZ either.

I'm very much in favor of taking the Pres of Hockey Ops title from Chayka and giving it to someone else this offseason. Lombardi, Gillis, Laurence Gilman. Maybe Ken Holland once he's canned by the Red Wings and if he's willing to come to AZ.
"Right now, he has no idea what he's doing..." Baseless drivel. Doan has said that he is enjoying being there for his family. He's already set them up financially for life. That he doesn't know what he will do in the future does not mean that he has no idea what he's doing. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a position with the Knights which lets him stay close to his family.

If it were me, I could never go back to the Coyotes, but that's just me. Gonzo returned to the DBacks, as did RJ.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

How do you Doan has no idea? I wouldn't give Doan the keys to the organization, but I would love for him to be the Assistant of Hockey Ops or something like that. Just to have him associated with this franchise is a step in the right direction.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Let him work his way up like Yzerman, Blake, Hextall, etc. He has no experience right now.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How do you Doan has no idea? I wouldn't give Doan the keys to the organization, but I would love for him to be the Assistant of Hockey Ops or something like that. Just to have him associated with this franchise is a step in the right direction.

Didn't work for Gretzky.

I'm not sure if Shane Doan is better served as an ambassador or in a hockey ops role.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Given how absolutely dumbfounded Doan always seemed anytime we traded any of the "good guys" on expiring contracts during a 56 or 70 point season, I don't want him anywhere near hockey ops for this team.
Make him the goodwill ambassador and let it be.

Reactions: Murf, Muppet and rt

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
think he need a change, but where ever he goes he will get back on track and develop into the player we know he can be and make us look stupid, so either trade him for a similar young prospect or resign him to a 2 year rfa deal and hope hen snaps out of it.

personally i think he defiantly worth the risk and keep him and wait and see and if he is stil not doing it next year then trade him, but his ttade value will be much lower so risky what ever happens

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Given how absolutely dumbfounded Doan always seemed anytime we traded any of the "good guys" on expiring contracts during a 56 or 70 point season, I don't want him anywhere near hockey ops for this team.
Make him the goodwill ambassador and let it be.
Doan watched a Western Conference Finals team get slowly dismantled and never properly built up again. As a player who's career end was quickly approaching I found his reactions quite expected. It doesn't mean that if he was in a management role he would have the same views. I'm not advocating for Doan as a big decision maker either way, I'm just saying his frustration as he watched what the team became is completely understandable and made perfect sense given the context.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan watched a Western Conference Finals team get slowly dismantled and never properly built up again. As a player who's career end was quickly approaching I found his reactions quite expected. It doesn't mean that if he was in a management role he would have the same views. I'm not advocating for Doan as a big decision maker either way, I'm just saying his frustration as he watched what the team became is completely understandable and made perfect sense given the context.

Exactly. Even TGO said as much when he was discussing his trade from Edmonton. I expect you would get the same answer from any ex player now in management of a hockey franchise. You look at things totally different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad