Friedman: Hartnell agreed to waive No move clause

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hartnell is on pace for 20+ goals despite only playing 12 minutes per game-hardly indicative of any decline going on. He's second on the CBJ behind Saad in goals per 60 minutes 5v5, plus he's a physical presence who isn't taking penalties.

He's second on the team in points per 60 minutes at 3.01/60 5v5. He's almost 50% more productive than the 3rd ranked ES CBJ per 60 minutes- Foligno at 2.10. He's ranked 3rd in the league in this stat. Saad is first-by a wide margin.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ards&minutes=300&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=8&type=individual&sort=igoals60&sortdir=DESC

I'm going to guess he's a huge locker room presence as well.

Trading Hartnell this season would be, to put it mildly, idiotic. His cap hit is well in line with his productivity. If he dramatically declines next season-which doesn't seem highly likely- then buy his final year out.

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Lets be honest, Hartnell would not be nearly as productive if he was playing against teams top lines, he's been decent for us, good for a 4th line and leadership presence. I agree that he shouldnt be traded right now. Personally, I dont think we should make any trades right now, keep the depth.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Lets be honest, Hartnell would not be nearly as productive if he was playing against teams top lines, he's been decent for us, good for a 4th line and leadership presence.

Previously he was a top line support player so that is quite the change to accept. Perhaps Hartnell could not be that any more under Tortorella's playbook but is again bit imminent to say he would have lost it. The opportunity at higher lines could represent itself. It is a long season.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I'm fine with him staying; I'd just like him to waive NMC in order to protect Anderson or Karlson. Don't see Vegas picking him up

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I tend to look down the line. We've got Wennberg this offseason with Cam, Jenner, Karlsson, Calver, and Murray the next. All we really have rolling off is Johnson. We probably aren't going to see much in the way of cap increases, we're lucky to get one at all this season. We haven't even bothered to discuss Gagne.

It's about to get uncomfortable all up in here.

I'm content with where we are now and happy we are doing well. I can do that an look toward the future as well..

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I'm fine with him staying; I'd just like him to waive NMC in order to protect Anderson or Karlson. Don't see Vegas picking him up

I thought about this earlier today.

What if the CBJ make a deal with Las Vegas and offer them a 5th round pick (or a 4th) not to select Hartnell? Then Hartnell waives his no movement clause knowing he is not moving. Columbus protects Anderson. Golden Knights still get a good Columbus player and an additional pick.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I thought about this earlier today.

What if the CBJ make a deal with Las Vegas and offer them a 5th round pick (or a 4th) not to select Hartnell? Then Hartnell waives his no movement clause knowing he is not moving. Columbus protects Anderson. Golden Knights still get a good Columbus player and an additional pick.

There was talk of not allowing this type of thing to circumvent the draft rules. The big question is Clarkson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Lets be honest, Hartnell would not be nearly as productive if he was playing against teams top lines, he's been decent for us, good for a 4th line and leadership presence. I agree that he shouldnt be traded right now. Personally, I dont think we should make any trades right now, keep the depth.

Let's be honest, a 3.0 P/60 is really damn good (not decent). Harder competition can reduce that somewhat but only to an extent. Think about it this way: Hartnell could have his scoring rate drop by a third and still be at a first line scoring rate. That's insane. There's only a few players in the league (Saad included) who that can be said for.

He's playing mentally and physically better than I've ever seen him.

He's the only one on our abysmal second PP unit who knows what he's doing. Now that he's in the key down-low position they're starting to look better.

If you want to win in the next few years, you want him in this lineup.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The number of players who have had a 3.0 points/60 minutes 5v5 since 2013-14:

2016-17: Saad 3.49/Crosby 3.02/Hartnell 3.01
2015-16: None
2014-15: Tyler Johnson 3.00
2013-14: Getzlaf 3.13/Perry 3.04

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Hartnell is the kind of guy you really, really want on your roster if you make the playoffs. Not just the experience, but his game is perfect for series play. Worry about offseason when we get there imho.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Hartnell is the kind of guy you really, really want on your roster if you make the playoffs. Not just the experience, but his game is perfect for series play. Worry about offseason when we get there imho.

No.... You really, really, really, really, really, really want him.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Hartnell was a great rescue of a terrible contract given to Umberger... they have him 2 years longer but he's leagues better than Umberger and his production isn't out of whack with his deal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hartnell was a great rescue of a terrible contract given to Umberger... they have him 2 years longer but he's leagues better than Umberger and his production isn't out of whack with his deal.

Yeah it is. 3.0 P/60 is way out of line for only $4.5m per. We're getting huge value.

And I know you meant the opposite - but still you're not giving enough credit to Hartnell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad