Friedman: Hartnell agreed to waive No move clause

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-remembering-greatness/

3. There were some Scott Hartnell rumblings around the trade deadline, but nothing came to fruition. The ask was high. There is something going on now, though. According to sources, Hartnell, who has a no-move clause, has agreed to waive it for several teams. Kekalainen and agent Matt Oates would not comment, but word is it’s a decent-sized list.

Hartnell is 34, and I think potential trade partners are a little concerned about that third year remaining on his contract. If it was one or two, I’m not sure there’d be much worry. But, it’s clear he’s willing to move on, which will have him motivated to make an impact.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

3. There were some Scott Hartnell rumblings around the trade deadline, but nothing came to fruition. The ask was high. There is something going on now, though. According to sources, Hartnell, who has a no-move clause, has agreed to waive it for several teams. Kekalainen and agent Matt Oates would not comment, but word is it’s a decent-sized list.

Hartnell is 34, and I think potential trade partners are a little concerned about that third year remaining on his contract. If it was one or two, I’m not sure there’d be much worry. But, it’s clear he’s willing to move on, which will have him motivated to make an impact.

mehh. I love hartsy. Was hoping he's stick around one more year and prove he's not gonna drop off. On the other hand, it opens a spot for a young guy and clears cap so either way I will be fine. Send him out west though Jarmo.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
The only way this makes sense is if it brings a back proven, solid defenseman. Otherwise it's more wheels spinning and deck chair rearrangement on the Titanic.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The only way this makes sense is if it brings a back proven, solid defenseman. Otherwise it's more wheels spinning and deck chair rearrangement on the Titanic.
Err... it makes plenty of sense to trade him for picks/prospects. Puljujarvi will immediately take his place and we save ~4m in cap space. The team becomes better all around with a move like that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree Finn, i love Hartnell, but we HAVE to open spots up. Obviously id rather move Clarkson, but that's not happening. And if we can move him for a 1st or 2nd (wishful thinking maybe?) Than we do it. I mean if that happens he turned Umberger into a tangible asset.

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
Bruins fan here would something centered around Seidenberg work for Hartnell, one less year on his contract and you save 750k in cap.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

3. There were some Scott Hartnell rumblings around the trade deadline, but nothing came to fruition. The ask was high. There is something going on now, though. According to sources, Hartnell, who has a no-move clause, has agreed to waive it for several teams. Kekalainen and agent Matt Oates would not comment, but word is it’s a decent-sized list..

The bolded part is the annoying part. At no point did he actually say what the "something" was going on now that wasn't before. That is the kind of nonsense that has completely turned me off to Friedman.

"I'll just repeat an old rumor and try and make it fresh. There is a chance something will happen in the next month and a half so I can claim I knew something and if nothing happens I can blame it on the 3rd year.".

Such a rumor monger hack.

As far as Hartnell; old news.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Bruins fan here would something centered around Seidenberg work for Hartnell, one less year on his contract and you save 750k in cap.

Look over our team and consider that we'll probably leave a roster spot open for Werenski, then come back to us. We're probably looking at moving or buying out Tyutin and we still have to sign Jones with an uncertain cap ceiling. What do you think?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Err... it makes plenty of sense to trade him for picks/prospects. Puljujarvi will immediately take his place and we save ~4m in cap space. The team becomes better all around with a move like that.

Exactly. I don't get what the others are talking about. We need to clear cap and roster positions for our younger players who are ready. When I saw the title, I thought it had to do with the expansion draft. I was like :yo:, but this is good too. :)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

No. The point of trading Hartnell is to get rid of his contract and open up a roster spot for a young player.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree Finn, i love Hartnell, but we HAVE to open spots up.

I don't see why you think that this is necessary or even a conversation with Hartnell. There are a couple of other places to open up roster spots with less useful players. The issue with Hartnell is most like cap space, not opening up a roster spot.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
We have 3 or 4 forwards ready for the NHL, not counting Puljujärvi, so trading Hartnell is kind of a must, IMO. We would still need to move at least one other forward.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I don't see why you think that this is necessary or even a conversation with Hartnell. There are a couple of other places to open up roster spots with less useful players. The issue with Hartnell is most like cap space, not opening up a roster spot.

Who are those players?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Who are those players?

Boll and Campbell to start.

Also we aren't going to dump 3 or 4 forward prospects on to a team to start the season. You are looking at 2 at the most, but most likely one unless we are dealing with injuries.

The reality is that we have 12 forwards right now and if Boll stays around there is a real chance he's the #13 forward. We have enough center depth to dump Campbell if we need to.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Right. We need money to match possible offer sheet to Jones ( life is life, deep cap hell of retooling)

We would match, money isn't an issue there. They would just need to clear out some cap space. Teams do it all the time. You aren't likely to see an offer sheet unless it drags on and they want to force our hands. My guess is that you'll see a contract at or after the draft and probably before FA. Getting rid of Tyutin and/or Hartnell before FA might drive if we give him a bridge or go long term.

The offer sheet conversations make me laugh.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Also we aren't going to dump 3 or 4 forward prospects on to a team to start the season. You are looking at 2 at the most, but most likely one unless we are dealing with injuries.

The reality is that we have 12 forwards right now and if Boll stays around there is a real chance he's the #13 forward. We have enough center depth to dump Campbell if we need to.

Those 2 would give minimal cap savings though.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Who is going to trade for Boll or Campbell? Also, I never said we should add 3 or 4 forwards. In fact, I said two if you actually read my post. I said we have 3 or 4 who are ready.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam

He's 34. You're dreaming.

Swapping him for Umberger was such a coup. If Columbus can move him before the wheels fall off it would be equally perfect.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Because who wants Boll or Campbell? I bet that market is bone dry. By trading Hartnell we can get a useful asset back, before his value nose dives (its only a matter of time). Some players can keep it up, Hartnells game isn't one that allows him to play his game much longer. And we clear up 4M+, which gives us a nice cushion for Jones and Karlsson to get signed with leftover cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad