Friedman: Hartnell agreed to waive No move clause

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So Hartsy revokes the waive. Good, bad or meh?

Good.

If the team is good we want Hartsy, if the team is awful we will want to move him and he will be glad to accommodate. In the meantime he can focus and not have to worry about being blindsided by a trade.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Good.

If the team is good we want Hartsy, if the team is awful we will want to move him and he will be glad to accommodate. In the meantime he can focus and not have to worry about being blindsided by a trade.

Valid.. as its not like he can't be asked again down the road to waive it.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
My question for Hartnell would be: why would you want to stay? Doesn't it get old having to explain why you lost every other night? (By the way, the answer to the last question is because you took a stupid penalty that cost us a goal)

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
My question for Hartnell would be: why would you want to stay? Doesn't it get old having to explain why you lost every other night? (By the way, the answer to the last question is because you took a stupid penalty that cost us a goal)

Do people even have to ask the question anymore?

:laugh:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Believe he got engaged over the summer.. could be one reason.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with his turn around on this team.
He used to take so many dumb penalties, and now he's playing so well, very disciplined.

Very happy he decided to stick with CBJ.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with his turn around on this team.
He used to take so many dumb penalties, and now he's playing so well, very disciplined.

Very happy he decided to stick with CBJ.

He's part of a 4th line that is +23 with 2 potential 20/30 goal scorers.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
As much as the Foligno-Wennberg-Saad line put points on the board last night against Winnipeg, I was still struck by the 4th line reference above.

I truly have gotten to the point of not seeing a first, second, third or fourth line.
For me, the lines are identified by who is on them (and that has remained almost constant, so that helps)... Sure the minutes end up being slanted toward certain players/lines, but most of that difference is special teams play, not 5x5 minutes. And for speed reasons, Hartnell is not usually going to be on a PK --- unless the jets he showed the other night are for real! :laugh::):amazed: It used to be that he was not on the PK because he was the CBJ player in the box more often than not!

I actually looked forward to seeing the next line change every 30 seconds last night, without much thought as to which line it may be coming over the boards. Quite a difference to expect scoring opportunities from each line, as opposed to a 4th line that you hoped would get some hits, agitate and call it great shift if the puck stayed out of our net.

And yes, I like that Hartnell is here. His managing to stay out of the box has been an amazing transformation. I would not move him this year, period. He fits. FWIW, unless an injury bug hits, I would be reluctant to make any moves at the TDL - while I am concerned that we could use a little backup depth at F if there are injuries, I'd rather bring up Zaar and Bjorkstrand in that case - they are the depth, we just don't know/trust it yet. But they both went through a playoff run last year (yes, it was AHL, but it still was playoffs at high level), and look at what Sedlak, Anderson and Nuti have done so far.

Dance with the one you came with - including old maid Scott Hartnell.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As much as the Foligno-Wennberg-Saad line put points on the board last night against Winnipeg, I was still struck by the 4th line reference above.

I truly have gotten to the point of not seeing a first, second, third or fourth line.
For me, the lines are identified by who is on them (and that has remained almost constant, so that helps)... Sure the minutes end up being slanted toward certain players/lines, but most of that difference is special teams play, not 5x5 minutes. And for speed reasons, Hartnell is not usually going to be on a PK --- unless the jets he showed the other night are for real! :laugh::):amazed: It used to be that he was not on the PK because he was the CBJ player in the box more often than not!

I actually looked forward to seeing the next line change every 30 seconds last night, without much thought as to which line it may be coming over the boards. Quite a difference to expect scoring opportunities from each line, as opposed to a 4th line that you hoped would get some hits, agitate and call it great shift if the puck stayed out of our net.

And yes, I like that Hartnell is here. His managing to stay out of the box has been an amazing transformation. I would not move him this year, period. He fits. FWIW, unless an injury bug hits, I would be reluctant to make any moves at the TDL - while I am concerned that we could use a little backup depth at F if there are injuries, but I'd rather bring up Zaar and Bjorkstrand in that case - they are the depth, we just don't know/trust it yet. But they both went through a playoff run last year (yes, it was AHL, but it still was playoffs at high level), and look at what Sedlak, Anderson and Nuti have done so far.

Dance with the one you came with - including old maid Scott Hartnell.

I really enjoyed the post and agree with your sentiments on Hartnell.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't necessarily agree with standing pat at the trade deadline if there turns out to be a move that would really help us, also wouldn't give up the farm for a piece that might ruin the existing chemistry that seems almost magical at times.

My love for Hartzy has been evident from the beginning - I have always thought from the moment the trade was announced that Hartzy would help the Jackets grow up, and help himself extend his career. I knew that he wasn't the fleetest of foot, or the guy with the best skill - but Hartzy is a hockey players - best teammate. The guy that will have your back to the nth degree. Now he is using his head to pick his battles, and as the hatty shows.. can score with style when the opportunity presents. Love this hockey player - his worth cannot be quantified to our team

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I don't necessarily agree with standing pat at the trade deadline if there turns out to be a move that would really help us, also wouldn't give up the farm for a piece that might ruin the existing chemistry that seems almost magical at times.

My love for Hartzy has been evident from the beginning - I have always thought from the moment the trade was announced that Hartzy would help the Jackets grow up, and help himself extend his career. I knew that he wasn't the fleetest of foot, or the guy with the best skill - but Hartzy is a hockey players - best teammate. The guy that will have your back to the nth degree. Now he is using his head to pick his battles, and as the hatty shows.. can score with style when the opportunity presents. Love this hockey player - his worth cannot be quantified to our team

Agree with you on Hartnell.

I agree with you in concept that CBJ should make a move if there is one "that would really help us" - but I'm not seeing that move - at the moment - unless there are significant injuries. I would not want to see any kind of rental - that's what may get you in playoffs, but those rental moves hardly ever win a Cup. If it is a player who can help us both now and later, it would still need to be an obvious fit both in terms of talent and character, but those kinds of players would in fact cost "the farm." From my view, overcoming a loss of a player due to injury won't change the karma/chemistry CBJ has found much- next man up (including Monsters). But if we trade away or sit any current roster player for an upgrade, that could have a huge impact on team chemistry that for now is right where you want it - at least IMO. Saad's article yesterday was insightful - he talked about chemistry, not about Kane, Toews, Seabrook or other stars, in talking about the 'Hawks SC runs.

This team was perceived as years away just 10 weeks ago. It may nor may not have truly arrived yet - but sure am enjoying the ride and anxious to see where it goes. If it hasn't truly arrived yet (I'm stuck - they are good, no doubt, but not THIS good - are they?), then now is not the right time to make a move for immediate impact, imo. Better deals to be made at draft/expansion draft. If this team has truly arrived early, my heart still says dance with those who brought us this early present. My head understands your point, I just don't see who we would sit (or trade) at this point. Even those who have struggled or are struggling bring a piece of the chemistry to the table. As much as Dubi and Boone are frustrating me, part of their struggle and part of their character in showing others how they handle their struggles, are why this team is 25-5-4. I don't want to seek guys moved to different lines in the lineup, because I think guys like Sedlack and Karlson and Anderson are part of the reason we are good - I don't want them as healthy scratches with Boone or Calvert or whomever playing in their spot. The continuity of the 4 lines, not just in terms of play but in terms of spirit, has been amazing to watch this year. I am not saying you don't make the right move for a Cup run if its there - just that at the moment, with this team and its history and its current hutzpah (we are going to win no matter who we play or how we play), the move to make a run for the Cup is no move.

I'm sure JK is and will be looking at all options - including just a depth move, a major move and standing pat. Not saying I am right - but personally in favor of standing pat unless there are unforeseen developments (i.e. injuries).

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If things continue as they are the type of move(s) I think we should make at the deadline are inexpensive ones that add a depth D or possibly a depth C. No telling how the kids will handle SC pressure and it would be nice to have a couple of grizzled vets on standby.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
If things continue as they are the type of move(s) I think we should make at the deadline are inexpensive ones that add a depth D or possibly a depth C. No telling how the kids will handle SC pressure and it would be nice to have a couple of grizzled vets on standby.

I agree with this - part of me has interest in Duschene part of me says don't do it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He's part of a 4th line that is +23 with 2 potential 20/30 goal scorers.

He's also a guy that we'll owe almost 10 million too after this season.

He's Hartnell. I'm happy we're winning. I'm also aware of his contract.

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
He's Hartnell. I'm happy we're winning. I'm also aware of his contract.

Mama don't like business talk with supper on the table. Do you ride horses? All you need is a good teacher.

It stops right now blahbah! Hartnell is a Blue Jacket and you are gonna treat him with respect. You can stop that contract nonsense too because that stops from here on in. If you ever try to force me to choose... there is not a chance in hell that I would ever choose you or any poster above Hartnell. He is a Blue Jacket, blah. And he is gonna stay that way.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Mama don't like business talk with supper on the table. Do you ride horses? All you need is a good teacher.

It stops right now blahbah! Hartnell is a Blue Jacket and you are gonna treat him with respect. You can stop that contract nonsense too because that stops from here on in. If you ever try to force me to choose... there is not a chance in hell that I would ever choose you or any poster above Hartnell. He is a Blue Jacket, blah. And he is gonna stay that way.

wtf%20(2).gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad