Speculation: Friedman: Blues not happy with Tarasenko?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Captain of a team doesn't deserve any props for facing the media after a loss. That's part of the job description.

We can speculate all we want but the fact is that they lost to a much better team. Plain and simple.
Congrats on adding nothing new to the discussion.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The Captain of a team doesn't deserve any props for facing the media after a loss. That's part of the job description.

We can speculate all we want but the fact is that they lost to a much better team. Plain and simple.

I hope Backes signs with the Habs.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
While would have preferred to see Tarasenko give an interview, Fredrickson's article was garbage and came off as a bunch of sour grapes that he didn't get the chance to crap on Tarasenko in the interview.

That's what I don't get. Stop acting so high and mighty that you had a couple of really dumb questions you knew the answers to and just wanted a quote so you can say you're good at your job. It's a 23 year old man who has to speak through a language barrier at times. There's plenty of reasons to not want to have a camera in your face and some guy hassling you to do his job for him. Now he's gonna sit on his ass all summer instead of trying to make a phone call to Tarasenko and keep blaming him. Get over yourself.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

Cool, maybe go look up some Habs interviews from 2 months ago about how they have no excuse for being so bad. Ooo you can even watch them in two languages. :popcorn:

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
The whole exit interview apparent controversy doesn't even show up on my radar. I've been a huge hockey fan for over two decades and I didn't even remember they were a thing.

To me, hockey players (especially stars) are already so available to the public for the great majority of the year that something like this is far less about fans and mostly comes down to media/reporters. Maybe this is old fashioned, but I don't think the media has any kind of right to access a player. I also don't think it speaks better of a player for them to be more open with the media. I just...don't care, and it's honestly a little creepy to me that some people do.

I really wonder what he could have said that would have made anybody feel differently from how they already do. As far as I'm concerned, good on Tarasenko for deciding when he does and doesn't want to give interviews. We've even seen this plenty from him before when he didn't feel comfortable with his English. I think the situation he's in with having just lost a heartbreaking series, being a brand new (rather young) father, and being the focal point of criticism that should be aimed a lot more elsewhere, are easily just as good of a reason to avoid an interview. Call me a bleeding heart, but I respect someone for taking care of their own needs.

From Ben Frederickson's garbage article:

See, he even goes out of his way to defend that his criticism of Tarasenko is just ol' Mr. Reporter lookin' out for the faaaaaans. If you respect your audience, you'll let them make that judgment for themselves rather than going the extra step and framing how specifically they should believe this snub is about them.
The reality is that the media didn't even need to mention the fact that Tarasenko declined to comment. But because they didn't get the soundbite they wanted, they had to make a story out of something that isn't a story.

Very well put and exactly my feelings on this subject.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
His 12min presser is well worth watching. He's still the same Vladi we know and love. Hearing him also speak the words adds context that gets lost in twitter.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I really liked that interview. He handled himself really well. Particularly like the fact that he basically laughed when he was asked about the supposed tension with the organization. That was pretty clear to me that there isn't any problem.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really liked that interview. He handled himself really well. Particularly like the fact that he basically laughed when he was asked about the supposed tension with the organization. That was pretty clear to me that there isn't any problem.

My thoughts too. He seemed genuine. Even considering the language barrier, he takes his time to come up with his replies.

The response to if he liked hitch being back was somewhat telling though lol.... not thrilled but the man knows hockey

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Not to go around the bend again on the negativity, but JR was reporting on 101ESPN that several of his teammates were angry at him for not addressing the media. The rationale given was that they had to stay around longer and answer questions about him. I can't blame them, but I do wonder "how" upset they really were vs. using some minor frustration as armor for that Ben Fredrickson article.

Also not sure who asked the question in the presser, but the question of "do you realize what you mean to this team/community?" is a question I wish was framed a bit differently. You could tell Vladdy didn't grasp the question to the fullest extent and it's unfortunate, because I am curious to know if he realizes how important he is to the team/community moving forward (particularly with Backes likely moving on). Petro is probably the heir apparent, but he's the face of the franchise and will be the first person the local and national media turns to when covering the Blues.

Hopefully all of the hatchets have been buried. Still love his overall attitude, but he's either got some maturing to do, or there's still a bit of a cultural hump for him to overcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad