Speculation: Friedman: Blues not happy with Tarasenko?

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
I don't get it, boys. Tarasenko's failure to score proves that Hitch is a "hack coach?"

When Tarasenko was tearing it up the first half of the season, was Hitch a smart coach, but he got dumb as the season went on?

Hitch proves that Hitch is a bad coach. Him blaming Tarasenko for not "buying in" is his classic ******** line. If people could just read my mind they'd be better hockey players. God forbid I implement some set plays to create scoring chances or use a single stretch pass after April. No no no just dump, tip, and run like hell like a bottom feeder who's using AHL players in their bottom six and only had one player crack 60 pts.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I don't get it, boys. Tarasenko's failure to score proves that Hitch is a "hack coach?"

When Tarasenko was tearing it up the first half of the season, was Hitch a smart coach, but he got dumb as the season went on?

No, he's talking about our offensive system. Which, I still think, is pretty abysmal given our talent mixed with our complete lack of speed. The dump in 80% of the time it seems is just a really fun way of saying voluntary turnover. The tip-in especially, it's such a prayer of a play with no real rhyme or reason to it. When our forecheck is working, it can create some pretty good scoring chances. But when we have the puck and try to gain the zone and set-up our "offense", it usually goes.....not good. Especially compared to the 3 teams we played. San Jose ran their offense through their elite forwards and good speed and fantastic passing. We ran our offense through the defense, consistently failed to gain the zone, our passing was atrocious throughout the series. Same with Minny last year, why turn so many plays voluntarily into puck races when we aren't even close to as fast?

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Hitch proves that Hitch is a bad coach. Him blaming Tarasenko for not "buying in" is his classic ******** line. If people could just read my mind they'd be better hockey players. God forbid I implement some set plays to create scoring chances or use a single stretch pass after April. No no no just dump, tip, and run like hell like a bottom feeder who's using AHL players in their bottom six and only had one player crack 60 pts.

Never ever does he put blame on himself. You tell me when he has ever said, "it's on me. I need to be a better coach. I need to make adjustments. I need to.."

Never.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
Never ever does he put blame on himself. You tell me when he has ever said, "it's on me. I need to be a better coach. I need to make adjustments. I need to.."

Never.

I actually remember hitch saying that several times in his time here. I think he shouldered the loss in game 3 entirely. Saying something like; my system isn't as effective against SJ.

I love vlad but he really didn't seem hurt to me last night. This is some mental ********. You can see it in his body language and facial expressions. I would guess he shed no tears after last night's loss.

Hitch's system and mentality are outdated I agree. I wouldn't be too upset if we moved on from him. I just hope that when we do Vlad becomes more consistently motivated during the most intense and most important part of the season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Never.
Well that's manifestly false. There have been several times when asked about a player playing well and he's said, "If he had a smarter coach, he'd figure out how to get him more minutes." or something to that effect. I can recall specifically with Fabbri this year almost that exact exchange. But I've heard him answer a question that way on many occasions.

If he's stepping down now anyway, what's the point of trying to tear down his legacy right now? I don't understand this crusade you seem to be on.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I actually remember hitch saying that several times in his time here. I think he shouldered the loss in game 3 entirely. Saying something like; my system isn't as effective against SJ.

I love vlad but he really didn't seem hurt to me last night. This is some mental ********. You can see it in his body language and facial expressions. I would guess he shed no tears after last night's loss.

Hitch's system and mentality are outdated I agree. I wouldn't be too upset if we moved on from him. I just hope that when we do Vlad becomes more consistently motivated during the most intense and most important part of the season.

I think Tarasenko has a more traditional Russian demeanor, and that he doesn't show his emotions much. Watching him walk down the tunnel after the game, he looked heart-broken, but by the time he faced the media he'd gathered himself. I thought he gave it everything he had at the end of the game.

He's also young, and maybe next time his team gets this close he'll feel more desperation sooner to get to that kitchen sink mentality before there are 5 minutes left.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well that's manifestly false. There have been several times when asked about a player playing well and he's said, "If he had a smarter coach, he'd figure out how to get him more minutes." or something to that effect. I can recall specifically with Fabbri this year almost that exact exchange. But I've heard him answer a question that way on many occasions.

If he's stepping down now anyway, what's the point of trying to tear down his legacy right now? I don't understand this crusade you seem to be on.

I agree with you that saying Hitch never takes the blame is false. I think he really shouldered the blame last year. I didn't buy a word of the "Hitch is back" press conference this past off-season. However, Hitch said all the right things. He admitted he doesn't listen to others, is too stuck in his way, too hard on his players and that his way needs to be improved. I scoffed then. Standing here a year later, I am absolutely sure he meant it. I still think it's too little too late, and we need a new coach. He tried very hard to change, and did change. And it showed in how we did this year. But he is also stuck in his ways, and seemed to go back to the old Hitch often. However, as much as I want Hitch gone, I don't dislike him. He is a fantastic regular season coach. He is a great hockey mind. He really did try to change this year. But we need a coach for modern day hockey if we are going to continually threaten in the post-season.

Despite acknowledging that he does take the blame, I do think those "If we had a smarter coach" comments are a bad example. They always came across as facetious to me. "Well, if we had a smarter coach...nudge, nudge, wink, wink, LOL...<whispers> It's funny because there are no smarter coaches....." Maybe I am reading too much into it. Just the way he says it, seems he is joking a bit, and Hitch does like to play with the media.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Well, I suggest you look at Hitchcock's professional resume. He has coached at every level of hockey, achieved great success at all of them, and is widely respected in throughout the hockey world. Your opinion of him as a "hack coach" is uninformed.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Does anyone know what available coaches there are out there? Several people saying fire hitch but not offering any other options. I myself don't know of anyone. Curious who's out there.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Vlasic dominated him back to the Dallas series too? Sorry but Tarasenko didn't look like Tarasenko before he matched up against Vlasic. Doesn't mean Vlasic didn't do a terrific though...

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Vlasic dominated him back to the Dallas series too? Sorry but Tarasenko didn't look like Tarasenko before he matched up against Vlasic. Doesn't mean Vlasic didn't do a terrific though...

Yeah, that's true to an extent, but he was still an effective player. 3G, 7pts, 21 shots. Even his advanced stat numbers were almost identical to Benn's in that series.

I mean, it's obvious he got frustrated and that impacted his drive. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that I think the narrative has been skewed based on how ridiculous he had been in every other playoff series.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Vlasic was on the ice for 47:11 of Tarasenko's 82:29 ES minutes (57%) during the series.

Even if we give Vlasic 100% of the credit for shutting Tarasenko down those minutes, that's still a ton of minutes (43%) where Tarasenko didn't make a difference that had nothing at all to do with Vlasic.

Vlasic played great, but the narrative being created that he basically erased Tarasenko from the series single-handed just doesn't make sense.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Kelly Chase speaking about Tarasenko on the The Morning After yesterday, "He's a young guy who didn't realize just how hard it was gonna be..just how much tougher it was gonna get every round." Chase followed up saying, "a conversation about conditioning and about how hard you have to compete in this league this time of year is gonna be had by the coaching staff and Vladi."

I think that's your answer about why Tarasenko went MIA for a while. His conditioning needs to be elevated and he probably lost confidence when he wasn't making plays that he's normally able to make.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jr also echoed this. Conditioning became a factor. Since he doesn't truck people...Wouldn't mind to see him lose some weight. He has deceptive "elite" speed.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Jr also echoed this. Conditioning became a factor. Since he doesn't truck people...Wouldn't mind to see him lose some weight. He has deceptive "elite" speed.

I'm guessing he bulked up because he didn't quite know the toll a long season takes on the body. He's a very dedicated man, so I have complete trust that he's going to work on conditioning hard.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Yeah, that's true to an extent, but he was still an effective player. 3G, 7pts, 21 shots. Even his advanced stat numbers were almost identical to Benn's in that series.

I mean, it's obvious he got frustrated and that impacted his drive. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that I think the narrative has been skewed based on how ridiculous he had been in every other playoff series.

He was ineffective against Dallas in probably 3, maybe 4 of the 7 games though. He had a couple multi point efforts which was awesome, no doubt, but his overall body of work this post season was wildly inconsistent. I hated Hitch's rationale of Tarasenko's TOI against Chicago but he didn't do much with the time he did get from that point onward.

I sort of agree with the perception based on past performances, but let's call it what it was. It was dog ****. I'll entertain a variety of reasons WHY it happened, but it happened. He was terrible in the WCF. And in turn, our top PP was terrible, and we had more than enough opportunities to put ourselves ahead with the man advantage.

He'll be better, but this kind of "lazy" looking play wasn't exclusive to these playoffs.....this has been a trend in 2016, imo.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm on my phone so I can't do the Twitter deal but JR just tweeted that Tarasenko declined to speak with the media today.

Probably nothing but it is a little odd.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I'm upset he didn't speak with the media. Concerns me.

But at the same time if I were him I wouldn't want to answer the kind of questions he would be asked.

However it does concern me with this article and other talks of effort and conditioning. Whatever is going on they need to get their **** straight and get going towards a really productive offseason.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I understand totally Vlad's. Give him time, I f hate hypocrite interviews. If he isn't ready for meet media he isn't. If he needs to sort out things and grief first away this season dissapointment let him do it. Everybody are invidual.

Jesus Christ let the boy be, he knows.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I understand totally Vlad's. Give him time, I f hate hypocrite interviews. If he isn't ready for meet media he isn't. If he needs to sort out things and grief first away this season dissapointment let him do it. Everybody are invidual.

Jesus Christ let the boy be, he knows.

If it was right after the game, I would agree with you. At this point I would expect him to be taking part. It's part of the job, ultimately the media play a significant role in how he can get paid $7.5m a year for playing hockey.

Still, declining once is meaningless, there could be a number of reasons for it.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Using Tarasenko doesn't help much to support your argument.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
If it was right after the game, I would agree with you. At this point I would expect him to be taking part. It's part of the job, ultimately the media play a significant role in how he can get paid $7.5m a year for playing hockey.

Still, declining once is meaningless, there could be a number of reasons for it.

This. No one on the team was ready to speak to the media but they did it because it's in the job description. I'm not ready to make a big deal out of it either but I would have much preferred to hear his perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad