Speculation: Friedman: Blues not happy with Tarasenko?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-wonders-about-tarasenkos-future-blues/

Interesting article....

I have heard he has been playing well over playing weight, as the season has gone on. That is fine and all when you lose out in the first round and he tears it up. However, if he is not hurt you can really tell he has ran out of gas.

Not to mention vladdy needs to figure out how to score besides using this wrist shot. Said it last night look at Pavelski:

Tips pucks

One timers

Slap shots

Goes to the hard areas to score

All of these are traits vladdy really doesn't do, which amazes me that he scores 40 without doing these often.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Copied from other thread

It's absolutely insane that were having this conversation. Tarasenko is literally the last player thought I would think this would happen to. Never before did I question him. Always found an excuse to make for him..... but they need him now, and he's paid to be the player they want/need. No excuses unless he has a broken ****ing wrist.

Tarasenko does have a bigger bag of tricks but it's just not his game. The only one that's an issue now is not going to the hard areas and he's being too stationary. He can absolutely tip pucks, his one timer isn't amazing but when he gets it off, it's an laser. As for slap shots...doesn't need one when his wrist shot is almost as fast

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Copied from other thread

It's absolutely insane that were having this conversation. Tarasenko is literally the last player thought I would think this would happen to. Never before did I question him. Always found an excuse to make for him..... but they need him now, and he's paid to be the player they want/need. No excuses unless he has a broken ****ing wrist.

Tarasenko does have a bigger bag of tricks but it's just not his game. The only one that's an issue now is not going to the hard areas and he's being too stationary. He can absolutely tip pucks, his one timer isn't amazing but when he gets it off, it's an laser. As for slap shots...doesn't need one when his wrist shot is almost as fast

Guess I meant his one-time slap shot is pretty piss poor

Feel like the guy you're paying this much should be able to do it.

Kucherov, OVI, stammer etc

Are all scoring at least 10 plus goals a year of those type of shots alone

Last edited:

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I'm frustrated with him right now. Big time. It's concerning.

However, it's equally concerning that "very quietly all year, there have been rumblings that they haven’t been satisfied with him."

Not satisfied with the skater that kept the team afloat during the first half of the season? I suppose this could be in regard to his lack of engagement on the defensive side of the puck, but if it's true, this organization really needs to check themselves. Sometimes you have to take what you're given. And when you're given 40 goals (the bulk of which are 5 on 5 and timely) you shouldn't act terribly sour about not getting 100% of what you're asking.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I love conjecture and hyperbole. Those guys in Calgary are bored these days.

Half this team hasn't shown up this series. Goaltending has been suspect. End of story.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I love conjecture and hyperbole. Those guys in Calgary are bored these days.

Half this team hasn't shown up this series. Goaltending has been suspect. End of story.

Actually it was Elliotte Friedman who said it. He's not from Calgary. He's one of the best in the biz when it comes to breaking stories etc

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He keeps putting on weight and muscle every offseason and it's obviously hurting his conditioning and evasiveness.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Actually it was Elliotte Friedman who said it. He's not from Calgary. He's one of the best in the biz when it comes to breaking stories etc

I meant Toronto. Apologies.

Friedman loves to dig up dirt about all teams except Edmonton and Toronto. Those are his teams.

Just read his archives, podcasts. He's a rumor guy.

McKenzie and Dreger are best in the biz. Friedman is one of dozens of hockey hacks.

This is pure conjecture. Nothing less. Nothing more.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Friedman loves to dig up dirt about all teams except Edmonton and Toronto. Those are his teams.

McKenzie and Dreger are best in the biz. Friedman is one of dozens of hockey hacks.

Dreger is best in the business but Friedman is a hack? Dreger only has the inside scoop on Toronto cause he's related to Dave Nonis.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'm convinced he's hurting. Physically...not the team. ;)

Wouldn't surprise me to find out he's got an off-season surgery in his future.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Yes and he was with Toronto for most of his executive career.

My point is Dreger lost his connection with Nonis. The info that he puts out there is still reliable. Friedman does a lot of speculating, there have multiple instances where teams have called him to debunk his "rumours", most recently with Phoenix and Vancouver.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013

Friedman has a job to do, he doesn't have his own team, there's no secret conspiracy theory against certain teams or against your Blues.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I don't know who comes up with these ridiculous articles, but my God you'd think they'd do their research before stupid crap like this:
Has been good? No, but anyone remember that hit Hjalmarsson laid on him? Hasn't been the same since. I'd assume hes hurt, but even hurt I'll agree he should be better.

Hes obviously part of our future, otherwise as a 23 year old, we wouldn't sign him for 8 years. He had a career high in goals and points, and our team was better, considering the injuries. Since 2014 he leads the league in 5v5 pts/60, yes the NHL. He hit 40 goals, without a #1 center, those who did had one. Take him out and were probably not even a playoff team. And when he mentioned "3rd round and he hasn't played a role" yea so what if he was playing like Tarasenko does? Doubt we'd be in the 3rd round, we'd be waiting for Pittsburgh vs Tampa to end, beating Hawks in 5, Stars in 6 and Sharks in 6-7.

Trading him doesn't benefit us at all. Maybe we get the 1C, but who'd that 1C play with?

Tarasenko is being traded? Kiss my ass. Cause Edmonton ain't trading McDavid.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
My point is Dreger lost his connection with Nonis. The info that he puts out there is still reliable. Friedman does a lot of speculating, there have multiple instances where teams have called him to debunk his "rumours", most recently with Phoenix and Vancouver.

I've seen teams and players "debunk" plenty of rumors which end up being proven true like when Ryan Kesler denied asking to be traded from Vancouver, but of course he was traded a few months later thus proving he wasn't being honest. Generally on this board what I've seen over the years is that fans of a certain team want to believe rumors that make them feel good while automatically opposing rumors which make them feel bad. So in this case Blues fans don't want to believe there's tension between the Blues and Tarasenko so they attack Friedman's character.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol at calling Friedman a hack.

People just believe what they want to believe. Unless it's McKenzie, they will trash the guy unless the rumor favors his or her team/player. Yawn.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How does trading Tarasenko benefit us? In any regard?

You could make an argument for trading Tarasenko to Toronto for the #1OA, receiving payroll flexibility for the next 3 years, and receiving a potential PPG, franchise-center. Might not help immediately, but could be an improvement long-term, trading a 40-30-70 winger for a 30-50-80 center.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
What a bunch of crap. I'm a little perturbed with Tarasenko but to speculate that perhaps the Blues should trade him is absolute crap.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Tarasenko's problem is easy to figure out: He just became a dad and has been trying to spend time with his newborn and play playoff hockey. In short, he's fatigued and it really shows.

I'd be less concerned with his performance and more concerned with this team's sense of resolve. It comes and goes so much the team should be tested for bipolar disorder.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Why do people act like Tarasenko has only been bad in the playoffs? He's been awful since December of last year, so all these excuses about having a baby or taking hits from Chicago don't mean anything when he's been playing like crap for 6 months now.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Why do people act like Tarasenko has only been bad in the playoffs? He's been awful since December of last year, so all these excuses about having a baby or taking hits from Chicago don't mean anything when he's been playing like crap for 6 months now.

That can be said for pretty much every player on this team, with exception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad