Speculation: Friedman: "At the deadline I heard that several Jets players asked to be traded"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed, if fans only knew the number of players and their names around the NHL each year who have requested trades they would be shocked. We've seen former players and insiders all say this happens on a yearly basis on most teams........just now for the Jets its bigger news due to bad season.

Some fans get very upset by players asking for trades, but not me. When Trouba wanted to play in the USA, I had no issues with it. I see it as part of building a winning team is getting the right players & mix of skill and guys who want to win in a city.
Agreed, I think we know of three that want to be part of the solution here in JoMo, Conner and Ehlers based on their comments. We need to figure out who else wants to be and move out the ones that don't.

There may be a bit of exodus.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This is a CAP team in the smallest market in the league (disregarding the Coyotes playing at a college). Lack of success, team trending the wrong way, rumours of a fractured locker room, openly disgruntled players, fragile makeup...Chevy HAS to BLOW IT UP.

I get waiting to the offseason. Sounds like there may be too many moving parts to start fixing this at the deadline.

Key is what Dubois wants to do. He has to be onboard for a complete team makeover. Maybe not Dillon's "10 guys" but I can see 5 or 6 faces out easily, including top players.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This is basically the state of pro sports. It's the same situation everywhere. Less so on contending teams, but even there we see players on top teams wanting out. I might just be getting too old and wise 😉, but amateur sports is looking more attractive to me now.
As player salaries increased the incentive to give 100% decreased, players across all sports are detached from reality and most have a me over team attitude!

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
As player salaries increased the incentive to give 100% decreased, players across all sports are detached from reality and most have a me over team attitude!
yup, inexplicably the salary cap continues to go up in a league where no rink is ever full anymore because ticket prices are outrageous. Mark S. makes $10 million canadian for 8 months of "work" and is STILL unhappy. Another lockout can't come soon enough.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I would actually bet money that Wheeler is NOT one of the players asking out. For all his faults, he is not a whiner or a quitter... he is more of a silent and stoic type at this stage in his life who when unhappy would rather stew in silence than whine or quit on the team.

Edit: The only 3 guys I am 100% confident wouldn't ask for a trade are: Wheeler, Morrisey and Lowry. Don't have the same level of confidence in any anyone else (maybe Connor too if I am pushing it)
Who is going to want to acquire a soon to be 37 year old puck fumbling vet making $8M per season….the Jets are now permanently stuck with Wheezer until his ridiculous contract expires!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The players are sick and tired of mediocrity, chevy threw away a season with lowry at head coach .. if fans can see how amateur the jets are the players must get sick of it too.

I don’t blame anyone for wanting out. This is a really bad look. These players do not want out Because of the location or covid. These players want out Becauee Chevy and Chipman are failing miserably at the only strength they have to keep players and that’s running this franchise successfully.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Agreed, I think we know of three that want to be part of the solution here in JoMo, Conner and Ehlers based on their comments. We need to figure out who else wants to be and move out the ones that don't.

There may be a bit of exodus.
Agreed

I mean the list of untouchable players on this team is shorter then the tradable players and after this huge down year why would any Jets fans be upset with trading away multi players? I mean my list of active roster players who I would not want to trade is:

KC
Ehlers
PLD
Josh
Helle (I'm 50/50 on, he's such a weird guy but a solid goalie who just had a bad year)

I mean who else would anyone consider untouchable on this team (not including prospects) after this crappy year?

If PLD, Mark and Helle all want out, well ok but that makes Chevy job very hard replacing both PLD & Mark and then finding a capable NHL starting goalie is hard. Might be able to find a capable replacement for Helle albeit a down grade, but it would be very hard to replace two top 6 centers at the same time, one is doable but two would be very hard.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I agree with the previous post - what happened for the team to get this soft?

It sounds like Maurice let the players run the locker room and it got completely out of control. I'm hoping whoever we bring in, can take control of the locker room again and re-establish identity and accountability. That's not going to be an easy task.

The good thing is we have some solid core pieces that seem to avoid drama. KC, Ehlers, PLD, Morrissey, Lowry.

I don't think Stastny or Wheeler are the problem. Based on Stastny's interview, they seem to be taking exception with the me-first players. Maybe they tried to fix the problem internally, but ruffled some feathers.

Scheifele likely wants out, possibly Hellebuyck. Beyond that, I would think Heinola wants a permanent lineup spot by now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed

I mean the list of untouchable players on this team is shorter then the tradable players and after this huge down year why would any Jets fans be upset with trading away multi players? I mean my list of active roster players who I would not want to trade is:

KC
Ehlers
PLD
Josh
Helle (I'm 50/50 on, he's such a weird guy but a solid goalie who just had a bad year)

I mean who else would anyone consider untouchable on this team (not including prospects) after this crappy year?

If PLD, Mark and Helle all want out, well ok but that makes Chevy job very hard replacing both PLD & Mark and then finding a capable NHL starting goalie is hard. Might be able to find a capable replacement for Helle albeit a down grade, but it would be very hard to replace two top 6 centers at the same time, one is doable but two would be very hard.

Agreed, I don't think Dubois wants out but I think he probably still wants some clarification on how things are going to unfold before he commits long term.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Agreed, I don't think Dubois wants out but I think he probably still wants some clarification on how things are going to unfold before he commits long term.

I hope that is all it is, I mean I would say the same thing if I was him. Its more then just about money & term as he said which is very true. I make a very good salary and have for many years......but money is likely about #4-5 on my priority list when evaluating job offers. I can say this from firsthand experience is money doesn't make you happy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hope that is all it is, I mean I would say the same thing if I was him. Its more then just about money & term as he said which is very true. I make a very good salary and have for many years......but money is likely about #4-5 on my priority list when evaluating job offers. I can say this from firsthand experience is money doesn't make you happy.

I agree, I would do the same as well if I were him.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I would actually bet money that Wheeler is NOT one of the players asking out. For all his faults, he is not a whiner or a quitter... he is more of a silent and stoic type at this stage in his life who when unhappy would rather stew in silence than whine or quit on the team.
Edit: The only 3 guys I am 100% confident wouldn't ask for a trade are: Wheeler, Morrisey and Lowry. Don't have the same level of confidence in any anyone else (maybe Connor too if I am pushing it)

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I really, really hope we keep PLD. Watching him and Connor this year have been some of the bright spots in an otherwise meh season. I gladly give up Mark if he doesn't want to be here or lose the attitude in order to keep watching those two gems play for years to come.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Looking at the way the season ended with 4 straight wins without Scheif in the lineup and how they lined up I think they will look to accommodate a move for Scheif if they right deal is there.

Connor/Dubois/Perfetti
Ehlers/XXX/Wheeler
Harkins/Lowry/Appleton
Barron/Toninato/Svech

Morrissey/Demelo
Samberg/Pionk
Dillon/Schmidt

Helly/Comrie

I think they look to move Scheif and likely one or both of Dillon/Schmidt(I am less certain both get moved but they are blocking guys that could do the same job on a bottom pairing for cheaper).

I think the Framework for a Scheif deal would be similar to Eichel's deal. 1 NHL player, 1 top prospect and 1 1st round pick. They would probably want to bring in a Center for that 2nd line in that trade. Maybe they look at Gus in that role too.

With the right trades and the right coaching staff I believe that lineup can be successful. Especially if Helly returns to form next year and you play him less. Connor/Ehlers have shown me a lot this year. I think a 20 year old Perfetti is primed for a big year and I actually like Wheeler and the role he could be willing to take on this team

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well they aren’t going to trade half the team so a few people need to relax in here. If guys like Svechnikov and Ves want out, who gives a crap really. Svech was brought in on a PTO ffs and Ves hasn’t done a single thing to prove he’s worthy of an NHL roster spot. Dillon, replaceable, Schmidt, replaceable. There might be a couple of big moves like Scheifele, but the rest are going to be the natural turnover you see in a lot of rosters, especially unsuccessful ones.

One thing this has proved, is Maurice was so completely full of shit when he repeatedly said how tight the room was. How many times did he say “the room is tight, it’s a tight group in there”.
Man that guy was a snake oil salesman of the highest order.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Well they aren’t going to trade half the team so a few people need to relax in here. If guys like Svechnikov and Ves want out, who gives a crap really. Svech was brought in on a PTO ffs and Ves hasn’t done a single thing to prove he’s worthy of an NHL roster spot. Dillon, replaceable, Schmidt, replaceable. There might be a couple of big moves like Scheifele, but the rest are going to be the natural turnover you see in a lot of rosters, especially unsuccessful ones.

One thing this has proved, is Maurice was so completely full of shit when he repeatedly said how tight the room was. How many times did he say “the room is tight, it’s a tight group in there”.

I think it was tight when Buff was around then well ya.

I was watching the Andre the Giant doc last night and Buff reminded me of him in the dressing rooms

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, his two tiered accountability system allowed the top to get complacent and the bottom to get resentful.

He stuck around two years two long and a lot of this has his stink on it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep. His snake oil was so good that he managed to quit on the team AND GET PAID OUT FOR IT!!! He snake oiled all the way to the bank.

Agree that the turnover should be modest, barring the departures of a key cog like an unhappy Helle.

- Dillon
- Svetch
- Harkins (maybe, he still has the tools to do well with a change of scenery)
- Sanford for sure
- Stats pretty much for sure
- Scheifele likely

I think Schmidt probably stays and can play a 3rd pairing/PP role while mentoring younger D and doing spot duty higher up the lineup. Chevy wanted him badly and he isn't going to give him away.

PLD will make his mind up as and when the team sells their "new vision" to him and KFC, Ehlers and JMo are clearly part of the solution.

My main concerns would be the talented youngsters like Heinola who have reason to want a real shot elsewhere. Samberg they'll be able to pitch, and Stanley IDK and don't really care at this point. The Summer of Chevy indeed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think it was tight when Buff was around then well ya.

I was watching the Andre the Giant doc last night and Buff reminded me of him in the dressing rooms

Buff could probably drink what Andre did as well :laugh:. That was a great documentary.

As for the Friedman comment, sure. I'm sure lots of players asked to be moved and I'm sure players on other non-playoff teams also asked to be moved at the deadline. I'm sure whatever they brought Sanford in for, maybe to get a head start on keeping him around, isn't going to happen.

The team is in a transition point and it will be tricky to get the most out of players that are here while also thinking long term. I don't think they entertain blowing it up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep. His snake oil was so good that he managed to quit on the team AND GET PAID OUT FOR IT!!! He snake oiled all the way to the bank.

Agree that the turnover should be modest, barring the departures of a key cog like an unhappy Helle.

- Dillon
- Svetch
- Harkins (maybe, he still has the tools to do well with a change of scenery)
- Sanford for sure
- Stats pretty much for sure
- Scheifele likely

I think Schmidt probably stays and can play a 3rd pairing/PP role while mentoring younger D and doing spot duty higher up the lineup. Chevy wanted him badly and he isn't going to give him away.

PLD will make his mind up as and when the team sells their "new vision" to him and KFC, Ehlers and JMo are clearly part of the solution.

My main concerns would be the talented youngsters like Heinola who have reason to want a real shot elsewhere. Samberg they'll be able to pitch, and Stanley IDK and don't really care at this point. The Summer of Chevy indeed.

Heinola is the one young player I'm concerned about on this front. Having said that a new coach that quickly integrates him and helps him grow would quickly remedy things on that front.

Samberg and Perfetti have already staked claim to key roles and as such I see them not at all being unhappy with their lot. Cole seems to know he has to continue to work to prove himself and get better.

Reactions: Mooche and None

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If I had to guess. (pure speculation) Players that may have asked for trade could be:

Mark S (obviously)
Dillon (seemed to piss off players off in practice -never got the feeling he was excited to be in WPG)
Schmidt (recent body language)
Heniola (lack of opportunity)
Svech (coaching friction)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad