Tennis: French Open 2022

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
As a Rafa fan I'm really happy he was able to go through, but I'm also proud to see a Canadian be the one to challenge Rafa like very few have ever challenged him at this event.

Felix is on the doorstep of winning a slam imo. He lost to the eventual finalist at Wimbledon, eventual champ at USO, eventual finalist at Australian Open, and 13x champ at Roland Garros. In 2022 alone, each of his slam losses have been five sets to Rafa and Medvedev. I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing FAA lifting the biggest trophies.

I would agree, and definitely wasn't as confident in the past. He's shown well recently in those big matches in slams, he got over the hump in Rotterdam, and the investments on the mental side are paying off. I was impressed yesterday with his decision-making yesterday, even if it was uneven at times. But in the fourth and fifth sets especially, he was showing more variety and ability to expand the court than in years past (his drops in particular were often well timed, if not always very well executed), which coupled with a serve that is increasingly big and clutch, and his overall high level of fitness, will help him in those big matches going forward.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Finally a top eight seed is eliminated on the men's side (only one of the top ten seeds on the women's side made it out of the third round). In an Alcaraz-like performance, Rune beats Tsitispas at his own game in four sets, increasingly dominating the Greek as the match progressed.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
As a swede i’m pretty jealous of our Scandinavian neighbors having young promising players competing against the very best in this sport while we are happy to even have one player who makes it to a GS. We used to be great at tennis. Those were the days.

Reactions: kihei

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
As a swede i’m pretty jealous of our Scandinavian neighbors having young promising players competing against the very best in this sport while we are happy to even have one player who makes it to a GS. We used to be great at tennis. Those were the days.

I miss those days, when Sweden had players like Edberg, Wilander, Järryd, Nyström and Pernfors and the Davis Cup still meant something.
Then came Björkman, Söderling, Enqvist, Kulti and Norman, and if I am not mistaken almost nobody since.
That decline is even worse than Germany.

It's a shame. Back when I was playing a little bit myself in the early 90s I tried to emulate the style of Edberg who was by far my favorite player. And I sucked at it.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I miss those days, when Sweden had players like Edberg, Wilander, Järryd, Nyström and Pernfors and the Davis Cup still meant something.
Then came Björkman, Söderling, Enqvist, Kulti and Norman, and if I am not mistaken almost nobody since.

It's a shame. Back when I was playing a little bit myself in the early 90s I tried to emulate the style of Edberg who was by far my favorite player. And I sucked at it.

We’ll never get back to those days for sure. If i’m not mistaking there are literally none activity at the tennisclubs nowadays. People are all about that padelshit.

Can’t say that i remember most parts of Swedens glory days since i was in diapers but i have watched a lot of tapes. Yeah you guys still have Zverev at least.

Haha, great story! Also Federer have said he was inspired by Edbergs style of play. I guess he did it a little better than you did ;)

So a norwegian or a dane in a GS-semifinal. Mad times.

Reactions: Maverick41

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Henrik Sundstrom deserves a mention, too. He was the fifth guy in the top ten at the same time if memory serves, along with Wilander, Edberg, Jarrryd, and Nystrom (I think). I remember a poster of Sundstrom stretching out wide for a volley. Thought it was a cool shot and wanted it for my wall.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cilic turns back the clock and defeats Medvedev 2, 3, and 2 in a surprisingly one-sided match even on clay. Marin gave up no break point opportunities and never seemed in anything but total control of the match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tomorrow's quarters:

Zverev over Alcaraz: I said I didn't think Carlos would get past the quarterfinals. Zverev is a pretty tough match up, so sticking with my hunch.

Djokovic over Nadal: Nole is the fitter player as well as the more in-form player and Rafa doesn't like to play on clay at night.

Fernandez over Trevisan: Leylah has been utterly clutch all tournament and Trevisan is not the Martina who comes to mind. She's not the second one who comes to mind either.

Gauff over Stephens: Gauff finally comes of age.

Last edited:

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
One side of the bracket is so much better than the other. Now that Medvedev is out, all of Nadal, Djokovic, Zverev and Alcaraz are better than the 4 quarter finalists on the other side of the bracket. Might be one of the most lopsided Finals in recent memory.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One side of the bracket is so much better than the other. Now that Medvedev is out, all of Nadal, Djokovic, Zverev and Alcaraz are better than the 4 quarter finalists on the other side of the bracket. Might be one of the most lopsided Finals in recent memory.
Given his monstrous draw, I wonder if this makes it a little easier on Rafa, knowing that if he gets through the next two matches, he should have a relatively easy go of it on Sunday. Might make the task appear just a little less daunting.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Think Zverev is a bit overrated to be honest, or IMO I should say - Played an atrocious game against Rune in Munich - No this is not the only game I am basing this off. IMO, Both Rune and Ruud could take him in a QF.
I think Carlito will take him no problems at all.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Fernandez takes the second set tiebreak and forces a second set.

Trevisan had a match point at 5-4 but Leylah saved it and eventually got to a tiebreak.

Leylah dealing with some kind of foot injury. She definitely doesn't look the same.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gauff exploits Stephen's backhand mercilessly, constructs some beautiful points, but also shows some nerves at the end of a well-earned straight set victory. She reachers her first GS semifinal.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I notice with interest that Zverev has been deleted from the Rolex commercials.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Djokokvic-Nadal in a QF is just stupid. This is a case where reseeding should come into play for the better of the tournament. I know that's unrealistic but it's just my personal feeling on it.

Regardless, I don't think I've ever said this before at The French but Nadal is a pretty clear underdog here I think. Djokovic is still in peak condition and Nadal is just a touch below his peak self (age, injury etc.) and anything less than absolute peak won't get it done against Djokovic.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev in four sets as the kid waits a little too long for the magic to appear. It was a near thing, though, as Zverev failed to serve out the match at 5-4 in the fourth set and then blew his first match point on serve in the subsequent breaker.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Edberg's backhand is still the most beautiful shot ever in tennis. Clearly it was a model for Feds but nothing tops the original.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Now for Ali versus Frazier.

Not a bad pick at all. I'd go with McEnroe's volleys (either side) which he didn't strike so much as redirect.
McEnroe was a great watch on all of his strokes, volley included. Not to emulate I don’t think but visually they were compelling and beautiful.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Going with Beethover Piano Concerto 5 for this. Seems appropriate.

McEnroe was a great watch on all of his strokes, volley included. Not to emulate I don’t think but visually they were compelling and beautiful.
His almost dainty shove of a backhand would get killed today, though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Going with Beethover Piano Concerto 5 for this. Seems appropriate.

His almost dainty shove of a backhand would get killed today, though.
It got killed by Sampras/Agassi/Courier, so yeah for sure.

I follow and watch the game because I love it but I am one of those oldsters who loves the game of my youth/young adulthood. I wish I was a more appreciative fan of the modern game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad