Speculation: Free-Agents Who Are Likely To Re-Sign After The Expansion Draft

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
So.Much.Wrong.

Hamilton currently makes $5.75M. He’s producing at an elite rate offensively, and you think he’s possibly going to sign for $5.5M?

It’s already been reported that the ask from Hamilton has been comparable to what Pietrangelo got, so he’s looking for $8M+. If you think he’s going to take significantly less than that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Every time someone bring us up the “Dougie has found a home” narrative, he shoots it down. Does he like it in Raleigh? Probably. Will he leave if CAR won’t pay him? Absolutely.
Will he take less to stay in Raleigh rather than go to a new team? Possibly.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If he wants $8M, he’s gone. He does not have a history of taking discounts, hence the trade out of Boston. He will want to get paid, as he should be.

I mean, Dougie likely gets way more than $8M/year on the open market, at least IMO. Personally, I see the Canes and Hamilton settling somewhere around the 7x7.8M mark.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Hamonic probably returns to Vancouver too, rumor is that he wants to be on the west coast, hence why he took the discount with an NMC. He's also looked good as Quinn Hughes' partner and I for one would gladly welcome him back.

Edler, probably returns too? His footspeed has dropped significantly but unless Juolevi or Rathbone (or Nikita Tryamkin?) really kick down the door (or the cap situation messes them up) he'll probably come back albeit at a discounted rate.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Landeskog didnt want to leave Colorado when he was captain of the worst team "point wise" so I doubt he will leave when we are at our best. He knows he has chemistry with Mack and Rants. He wasnt a PPG player till he moved up to that line. Mack already said he will take less on his next contract to keep a stronger team together. So I believe the Captain will do the same and take a hometown discount. Landy and Mack are about winning cups not getting the best contract. Rants on the other hand I think when his deal is up will go to the highest bidder. I think he will sign for 6 years / AAV 7.5 million

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Unless you're his agent, you don't know. Everyone thinks we're all in this together until someone goes all Beyonce and breaks up the group.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They may try like crazy, but it'll cost them a 1st to get out of Compher's deal.

Can't see Grubauer signing for less than what Markstrom got, and Landy for elss than 9.5M /

Compher can be bought out at like 1/3 of his salary. I'd rather go that route than use a first. Grubs should aboslutely get Markstrom's 6M. Landy won't get 9.5; thats pretty crazy. I'm happy to beat anyone real money that is the case.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Flat cap or not, young star players like Labdeskog will get paid no matter. He's a much better playet than Hayed who got 7.1 (he has no rrason to sign for 7), and similar # to Skinner who's got 9. Now, factor in leadership, physical attributes and stuff, and Landeskog has no reason taking less than 8.5

Agreed he's amazing. He has no reason for taking less than 8.5, but he probably will. We'll see how it shakes out.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So.Much.Wrong.

Hamilton currently makes $5.75M. He’s producing at an elite rate offensively, and you think he’s possibly going to sign for $5.5M?

It’s already been reported that the ask from Hamilton has been comparable to what Pietrangelo got, so he’s looking for $8M+. If you think he’s going to take significantly less than that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Every time someone bring us up the “Dougie has found a home” narrative, he shoots it down. Does he like it in Raleigh? Probably. Will he leave if CAR won’t pay him? Absolutely.

I think his age and "calibre" will help alleviate that potential issue wherever he goes.

In Boston, it was Big Z's team; with Krug playing a big offensive role. In Calgary, it was Giordano's team, and he had Brodie as his running-mate.

In Carolina, yes, it was Slavin's team; but Slavin is literally the perfect compliment for Dougie Hamilton's game. If Hamilton is leaving Carolina, he's going to a place where he's almost certainly going to be the highest paid and best defenceman on the team. That team is going to build their D around him, ensuring that he does have success.

Personally, I think the Canes are dumb for potentially letting him walk. They've got one of the best, if not the best, defensive groups in the league. Slavin has 4 years left on his deal and Pesce & Skjei 3 years so it's not like Hamilton's contract is going to become an immediate benchmark for re-calibrating the internal wage scale.

Even with Svechnikov coming up for a new deal, they should be able to clear the space to keep him at $8.5m without too harshly affecting the team.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
why ? It’s not like he needs protecting or would be taken

He probably would retire rather than go to Seattle but no reason to do something ugly. Truth is that were he available to be picked he would be outstanding to lead a first year defense corp, he would sell tickets as a hall of fame legend, and he is good still were he willing to play out there

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So.Much.Wrong.

The discount that Carolina can get will be that 8th year they could offer to bring the AAV down. 28 so doing 8 years takes him to 36. Is Hamilton good enough to warrant that 8th season? Anders Lee actually hit ufa and the Isles signed him for 7 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad