Speculation: Free-Agents Who Are Likely To Re-Sign After The Expansion Draft

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Up until a few weeks ago I found it curious that Hamilton hadn't signed an extension with Carolina, nor had we heard anything about the two sides having had discussions...

Then it occurred to me that if he intends to re-sign with the Canes, it would be in the best interest of the team if it was done after the expansion draft so he's not taking up a spot on their protected list...

Are there any key players in a similar situation who may go this route?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think David Poile basically stated in his post trade-deadline press conference that the Preds would pursue this route with Mikael Granlund.

That one is a little new. We already always expected that Rinne would sign afterwards similarly in the veteran backup/mentor role for us. (Probably not so much of a "key" player or a guy who Seattle would have looked at anyway, though).

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Probably one of Nuge, Larsson, Mike Smith... probably Mike Smith. Larsson is fine but the modern NHL requires D-men to be able to make good breakout passes.

I would also like to re-sign Barrie and Haas but who knows what they will ask for.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Up until a few weeks ago I found it curious that Hamilton hadn't signed an extension with Carolina, nor had we heard anything about the two sides having had discussions...

Then it occurred to me that if he intends to re-sign with the Canes, it would be in the best interest of the team if it was done after the expansion draft so he's not taking up a spot on their protected list...

Are there any key players in a similar situation who may go this route?

TSN pulled the video from its website, but on the March 2nd Insider Trading segment, LeBrun had the two sides decently far apart to the tune of Pietrangelo-ish (Hamilton ask) vs. Krug-ish (Carolina offer).

I doubt that Hamilton cares about the team protecting Bean. Major injury could happen at any time. He would know. The Canes may be saving the best offer for the very end (might as well now with talks broken of), but if he would have been amicable to that number, he'd be under contract right now.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
TSN pulled the video from its website, but on the March 2nd Insider Trading segment, LeBrun had the two sides decently far apart to the tune of Pietrangelo-ish (Hamilton ask) vs. Krug-ish (Carolina offer).

I doubt that Hamilton cares about the team protecting Bean. Major injury could happen at any time. He would know. The Canes may be saving the best offer for the very end (might as well now with talks broken of), but if he would have been amicable to that number, he'd be under contract right now.

If that's the case, it's odd that Carolina would play hardball with Hamilton since he's almost certainly going to get 8+ million if he hits the open market...

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If that's the case, it's odd that Carolina would play hardball with Hamilton since he's almost certainly going to get 8+ million if he hits the open market...

To play the other side of this...

The Canes’ front office may not think paying Hamilton $8Mx 8yr is the best use cap space and money. Hamilton is an excellent fit now and likely to keep up his current level of play for the next 2-3 years, but that contract may look really bad when he starts to decline.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope they end up keeping Hamilton, however I don’t think it’s very likely. I also think they’ll leave him unprotected and end up protecting Bean or Skjei from Francis.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think teams will risk it this way with core stars (ex: Landeskog and Hamilton listed above) although I suppose it depends on how much they trust their players.

Seattle is going to have a boat load of money to play with, and they could overpay select free agents to be their faces of the franchise.

A couple contracts that are $2m over market won't hinder Seattle if they are not projecting themselves on being a win now team like Vegas turned into withing 4 years.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There seems to be reasonable confidence in Dallas that Oleksiak is going to re-sign after the expansion draft.

Reactions: sportswastaken

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Alex Edler in Vancouver is almost certain - or it was before the covid outbreak. Who knows what he thinks of the management and ownership group now - rumour has it the players are pretty upset with managements complete lack of support.

Can't blame them for that. But that's another thread. So, Alex Edler (probably).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I think this tactic will create a massive FA season. I mean, many teams and players might have handshake-deals going, but those are not binding. And would a team honor it if a player had an ugly injury in the last months now? I have always assumed the big advantage for a player signing early, is getting insurance if that happens: they would still be paid. Why honor a handshake-agreement if it's one-sided? So I think this will be a wild FA race this year. Perhaps some teams will feel in retrospect it would have been better to just give out those contracts. You lose one good player in the ED. That's how they work nowadays.

Reactions: Chet Manley

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think Hamilton is totally justified in that ask. I wouldn't pay it, but someone will.

Reactions: Jakey53

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
For Montreal

Might re-sign before the draft and be protected: Danault
Should re-sign after the draft: Tatar
Slight chance of re-signing in the summer: Armia, Perry

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think Hamilton is totally justified in that ask. I wouldn't pay it, but someone will.

The way he’s playing he’s worth $8M for sure, but I think most Canes’ fans, if they’re honest, don’t think it will be CAR that gives that to him on a long term deal. We’ll see...

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Krejci, Rask and possibly Hall and Reilly in Boston.
If I'm Reilly no way I do that. He's having his best year and should explore the market. Sure, if Boston wows him fine, but a smart play would be to put himself on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad