Speculation: Free-Agents Who Are Likely To Re-Sign After The Expansion Draft

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Obviously yes, that's the risk all GM will have to take.

BUT, if you're name is Danault, and you have a "Handshake deal" on a 6X5.5M/ witht he Habs, SEA will need to overpay to beat that offer. 6X6 woN't cut it. we're talking 6X7 / 7X7 kind of offer... At that point, if Danault leaves, Habs fans wouldn't even be mad, as it would handicp SEA big time int he future

I am confused why this line of thought applies to Danault and Montreal and not Colorado and Landeskog (for example - although the same point applied to all other Non-Montreal teams).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Probably one of Nuge, Larsson, Mike Smith... probably Mike Smith. Larsson is fine but the modern NHL requires D-men to be able to make good breakout passes.

I would also like to re-sign Barrie and Haas but who knows what they will ask for.
I agree with this, but Haas isn't the type of player you need to protect if you re-sign him. He works hard and skates like the wind, but has no finish, and no spot on an NHL roster above the 4th line.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I take Suzuki before Girard, any day of the week. #1C > undersized d-man.
Suzuki is not a 1C and Girard is a legit first pairing D. Not close at all.

In a league where Makar and Fox will be Norris finalists you're still using the size argument? Get with the time it's not 1999 anymore.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
You have got to think their will be heavy scrutiny by the league over "handhake deals" to skirt the protection requirements for the expansion draft.
My opinion is Seattle also has plenty of options to take advantage of this system the same way Vegas did.

League set the rules, let the lawyers figure out how to skirt around them legally.

If players have handshake deals in place, that's all within the system.

Not that I agree with it, it's just part of the system, that mostly isn't that much of a problem.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The same Tanner Pearson that re-signed with the Canucks a few weeks ago?

I thought he resigned....
Guess i should have posted:

Tanner Pearson..... but....

upload_2021-4-19_9-15-51.png

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You don't mess around with Landeskog if you're Colorado. Seattle goes to him and offer him 10Mx7 and be the captain and face of the new franchise, it'll be hard for anyone to turn that down.

Reactions: AslanRH

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don’t see them signing UFAs . The UFAs who are younger look at this as their only UFA chance. Unless Seattle blew their doors off they aren’t signing there.

seattledoesnt really have a ton of money.

in the draft they take 8-10 players teamed dangle picks/ prospects to take that are $5M+. This might take up $54M in space. They draft some RFAs or younger making around $2M . Say 8 for $16M. That’s around 15-26 players making up $70M in space,

I agree with you and think it will depend on their approach.
I could build a reasonably decent team on paper, without taking on multiyear cap dumps, just using the Cap Friendly tool. Seattle could focus more on immediately flipping their expansion picks than Vegas did to build their futures capital. They also could plan on flipping rentals at the 2022 TDL (which I think Vegas planned until they had their surprise success that first season). I also think there are going to be fewer GMs paying to protect players this time.

I'm pretty excited to see if the Seattle approach mirrors Vegas or not. I don't think if I'm Seattle I would expect similar on ice results as Vegas, but it would be hard not to think it was possible.

Or they just offer him something in between league minimum and $10mm AAV. I know it’s hard for the mouth breathers here but players and teams can compromise. Happens all the time actually. Is Point making his maximum? Is MacKinnon? Is Girard? Is Stamkos? Not all players chase every last dollar. Some prioritize their goals differently than you would.

Well this mouth breather thinks Landeskog will sign a 6 x $7.5m deal before the expansion draft.

I'm sure if it happens the non-mouth breathers will tell us it wasn't out of any concern Landeskog would get a better offer in free agency and just a good showing by Sakic to get his business taken care of and out of the way.

Reactions: BKarchitect

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I agree with you and think it will depend on their approach.
I could build a reasonably decent team on paper, without taking on multiyear cap dumps, just using the Cap Friendly tool. Seattle could focus more on immediately flipping their expansion picks than Vegas did to build their futures capital. They also could plan on flipping rentals at the 2022 TDL (which I think Vegas planned until they had their surprise success that first season). I also think there are going to be fewer GMs paying to protect players this time.

I'm pretty excited to see if the Seattle approach mirrors Vegas or not. I don't think if I'm Seattle I would expect similar on ice results as Vegas, but it would be hard not to think it was possible.

Well this mouth breather thinks Landeskog will sign a 6 x $7.5m deal before the expansion draft.

I'm sure if it happens the non-mouth breathers will tell us it wasn't out of any concern Landeskog would get a better offer in free agency and just a good showing by Sakic to get his business taken care of and out of the way.
Sportsnet said $7mm x 5 years. A little team friendly IMO, but also just a stones throw from your $7.5mm x 6 years. Another deal I think the Avs would ink.

I don’t think Landy gets anywhere near $9mm aav and certainly no where near that on an 8 year deal. It will be both less term and less AAV.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Suzuki is not a 1C and Girard is a legit first pairing D. Not close at all.

In a league where Makar and Fox will be Norris finalists you're still using the size argument? Get with the time it's not 1999 anymore.
I like Suzuki. I enjoy watching him play. He’s going to be a very good NHL player. I don’t mean to belittle him at all. Great trade with Vegas to get him.

but certain Habs fans display a substantial lack of hockey understanding when they discuss Girard in context to their roster. The fact is, Girard would be the Habs single best player.

I don’t think Sakic would take Suzuki + Caufield for Girard. I don’t think it would be offered either (it’s an unrealistic trade scenario) but Girard is more valuable than any single player the Habs have under contract. There isn’t even a close player I could pick for a one for one trade around Sam.

Statistically (Corsi, puck possession, shot suppression) Girard and Toews are the best pair in the NHL. Girard will rightly get considered for spot on team Canada for the next few Olympics. Toews won’t, but if he played for Finland, USSR, USA or a Sweden, he probably makes their roster. Girard makes any of those teams easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I like Suzuki. I enjoy watching him play. He’s going to be a very good NHL player. I don’t mean to belittle him at all. Great trade with Vegas to get him.

but certain Habs fans display a substantial lack of hockey understanding when they discuss Girard in context to their roster. The fact is, Girard would be the Habs single best player.

I don’t think Sakic would take Suzuki + Caufield for Girard. I don’t think it would be offered either (it’s an unrealistic trade scenario) but Girard is more valuable than any single player the Habs have under contract. There isn’t even a close player I could pick for a one for one trade around Sam.

Statistically (Corsi, puck possession, shot suppression) Girard and Toews are the best pair in the NHL. Girard will rightly get considered for spot on team Canada for the next few Olympics. Toews won’t, but if he played for Finland, USSR, USA or a Sweden, he probably makes their roster. Girard makes any of those teams easy.
I don't think Girard is a lock by any means, it depends how in love with the veterans they are.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don’t think Landy gets anywhere near $9mm aav and certainly no where near that on an 8 year deal. It will be both less term and less AAV.

Yeah, you already made that abundantly clear. Those figures were mostly just [edit nvmd] a scenario where it would be a risk to let him hit UFA discussions.

If Seattle wants Landeskog to be their fan base's MAF, that is how they could do it.
8x$9m is not an unreasonable figure considering Kevin Hays secured $7.1 and Skinner secured $9, flat cap or not. The revenue impact on Seattle due to Covid is minimal as well unless it extends to next season.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You have got to think their will be heavy scrutiny by the league over "handhake deals" to skirt the protection requirements for the expansion draft.

I doubt the league want to pick fights with half the teams in the league right now when trying to weather the covid impact.

They'll just want everything to get back to normal as soon as possible

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I doubt the league want to pick fights with half the teams in the league right now when trying to weather the covid impact.

They'll just want everything to get back to normal as soon as possible
The league board of governors is the team Presidents. There won't be any fight picking at all if half of the teams are doing this, they'll just carry on. It is if only a handful of teams do this that the board might look at things and say, "next time, we better do the expansion draft after free agency starts".

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Personally, I think Landeskog and Hamilton both extend with their current clubs after the draft. Expansion drafts tend to be considerably more conservative than fans expect as far as the UFA market is concerned.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah, you already made that abundantly clear. Those figures were mostly just [edit nvmd] a scenario where it would be a risk to let him hit UFA discussions.

If Seattle wants Landeskog to be their fan base's MAF, that is how they could do it.
8x$9m is not an unreasonable figure considering Kevin Hays secured $7.1 and Skinner secured $9, flat cap or not. The revenue impact on Seattle due to Covid is minimal as well unless it extends to next season.
Remember. Pitt didn’t want MAF. They had a young Murray and he had two cups. Totally different scenarios. Cant compare them.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

They are talking about years, plural, of a flat cap. It could be 3 or 4 years before the cap goes up. The NHL is hemorrhaging cash since C19. Per Bettman, they are losing billions.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
They are talking about years, plural, of a flat cap. It could be 3 or 4 years before the cap goes up. The NHL is hemorrhaging cash since C19. Per Bettman, they are losing billions.
Flat cap or not, young star players like Labdeskog will get paid no matter. He's a much better playet than Hayed who got 7.1 (he has no rrason to sign for 7), and similar # to Skinner who's got 9. Now, factor in leadership, physical attributes and stuff, and Landeskog has no reason taking less than 8.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad