Free Agent/Trade Thread 15-16 Off-Season: UFA Courting Starts 6-25, Cap Set at 71.4M

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Making a trade, to make a trade, in hopes that it might help you make more trades seems like a really poor strategy.

They want to maximize assets. It makes more sense that the best offers will include next year's draft picks - not this year's.

Plus teams are likely going to be desperate after the top UFA's are gone.

A team that needs a top LD and sees Sekera sign elsewhere will be motivated to make a good offer for Phanuef.

A team that needs to improve their C position and sees Vermette take a different offer, might have no choice but to make an offer for Bozak.

Trades getting done before the draft is pretty unlikely, IMO.

It's not poor strategy. It's a call. I believe this group will strike first and watch the market shift. They did it with Franson already.

I see Shanahan as an INTJ type personality. A mastermind, really quite sharp and shifty. Ready to plot and plan and connect the dots when the time is right in rapid succession. It's all he has done so far.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
If Dallas is looking to move Lehtonen and improve in goal.

Would anyone do

To Dallas
Bernier, 2015 3rd(65th)

To Leafs
Lehtonen, Ritchie, A.Peters, 2015 2nd(49th)

Many would, but Dallas wouldn't.

Also Lehtonen will never be able to win the Cup. He is not fit, injures a lot, always has and always will. He doesn't have that warrior type of attitude crawford and others have. Goalies aren't even that important in todays nhl. Offense and Defense wins cups. It doesn't matter who plays in goal if he wants to win enough like crawwfy crawford etc did.

We need better hockey players, goalies don't matter jack.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
It's not poor strategy. It's a call. I believe this group will strike first and watch the market shift. They did it with Franson already.

I see Shanahan as an INTJ type personality. A mastermind, really quite sharp and shifty. Ready to plot and plan and connect the dots when the time is right in rapid succession. It's all he has done so far.
Me too. Also see the film "Draft Day". You can really see shanahan doing same type of action with us in real life.

We love real life. We can do whatever we want because we are rich!

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Berger is a hack. Don't listen to a thing he says.

Like him or not, Berger still has insider connections within the Leafs organization. The guy has been following the team for almost 30 yrs.

People just like to bring up the Jason Blake/Sean Avery incident whenever he's mentioned as a credible source.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Like him or not, Berger still has insider connections within the Leafs organization. The guy has been following the team for almost 30 yrs.

People just like to bring up the Jason Blake/Sean Avery incident whenever he's mentioned as a credible source.

How many connections does he have with the leafs current group though? Most of these guys are all new hires, and so far, seem to be tight lipped about leaks.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kessel will likely be moved first week of July after his bonus is paid.

If the $4M bonus was really that much of an issue, I would think the Leafs could just agree to retain $750,000/year in any trade scenario to even that out. Maybe a little bit more because of time value of money, but I think there are ways to make the $4M bonus a non-issue.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If the $4M bonus was really that much of an issue, I would think the Leafs could just agree to retain $750,000 in any trade scenario to even that out. Maybe a little bit more because of time value of money, but I think there are ways to make the $4M bonus a non-issue.

Actually retaining is much, much worse than waiting and paying the 4m bonus before trading Kessel. Leafs won't retain a dollar. Maybe they could take back a bad contract or two instead.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Despite all this rumor buld up, i dion't think we'll see many trades at the draft.
After free agency day where everyone gets signed in 1 day, then teams that missed out will venture into the trade market
For example, Kessel might not get traded til that time, the key draft pick being a 2016 pick

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Man, Tim Erixon blows.

Too bad Granberg got hurt, I think he would have made the team out of camp. Will have to start the year with the Marlies now to get up to speed.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
That's doubtful. Both Kessel and Phaneuf are said to be very much available (#2 and #3 trade bait as per TSN). Sure they could be kept if interest is low but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The UFA market is pretty bad this season. That works beautifully in our favour.

My only problem is that while I like our current management team, we don't have someone like Burke, or someone very aggressive, that can find great trades and pull out some interesting ones. Burke failed miserably here but if there's one thing he could do is pull some pretty good trades overall.

I'm just not sure how good Dubas will be at pursuing trades and perhaps being able to really outsmart very experienced GMs. We all know that some trades happen very quickly sometimes and if you don't have a lot of ears on the ground, you can miss out on opportunities . With that said, Dubas is the one receiving the calls, so he doesn't have to chase around too much.

Everyone knows they are available. The management team obviously wants a kings ransom for them from earlier reports. There is no harm in waiting it out until you get what you want.

I don't want another Burke. What you're saying is he wasn't afraid to shake it up and make good trades but he failed miserably. How do you pull off good trades and fail miserably? He made bad trades because he rushed them along and got fired. I think Shanny, Hunter, Dubas, and maybe Babcock will sit down with each individual offer made and discuss their thoughts, opinions and options to make sure the organization will benefit from the outcome. Much more sufficient I hope!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Jason Mackey @Mackey_Trib
NHL announces salary cap ceiling will be $71.4 million. Floor is $52.8 million.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Man, Tim Erixon blows.

Too bad Granberg got hurt, I think he would have made the team out of camp. Will have to start the year with the Marlies now to get up to speed.

Re: Erixon...I wouldn't give up on a 24 year old former first round pick just yet. Though at this point I wouldn't give much term either.

Granberg's injury could wipe out most of his season when you take into account how long it will take him to get back to 100%

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
one makes sense, the other is "eh?"

Also - knowing where the cap is, now i bet we'll see some action.

Figured Granberg would be back. Didn't really like Erixon's game all that much though. His fancy stats were good though apparently.

HI DAISY!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Actually retaining is much, much worse than waiting and paying the 4m bonus before trading Kessel. Leafs won't retain a dollar. Maybe they could take back a bad contract or two instead.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was only trying to say that if the Leafs wanted a deal before the draft so it could include a draft pick (not saying they do), there are multiple ways around the $4M bonus if that's an issue.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Yeah, that makes sense. I was only trying to say that if the Leafs wanted a deal before the draft so it could include a draft pick (not saying they do), there are multiple ways around the $4M bonus if that's an issue.

Yeah for sure. They could even tell the team with the pick to draft a certain player and then make the trade after paying the bonus. You're right that the 4 million won't be that big of a deal.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Figured Granberg would be back. Didn't really like Erixon's game all that much though. His fancy stats were good though apparently.

HI DAISY!

HI HARRY! :towel: :)

Well, I guess Erixon can be for depth or something? I dunno. it was just... eh? why?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It's worth nothing that Anton Stralman, at age 25, didn't even have a contract. The NJ Devils signed him to a PTO during training camp and let him walk.

Defensemen take a little longer to hit their stride. By no means am I saying the two are comparable, but I think you gotta give Erixon another 1-2 years before totally writing him off.

Being in the midst of a rebuild, it isn't like we have a shortage of roster spots available.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's worth nothing that Anton Stralman, at age 25, didn't even have a contract. The NJ Devils signed him to a PTO during training camp and let him walk.

Defensemen take a little longer to hit their stride. By no means am I saying the two are comparable, but I think you gotta give Erixon another 1-2 years before totally writing him off.

Being in the midst of a rebuild, it isn't like we have a shortage of roster spots available.

that's fair.
is Erixon the one who kept moving around?

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
HI HARRY! :towel: :)

Well, I guess Erixon can be for depth or something? I dunno. it was just... eh? why?

Lol everyone defends Gardiner because he's 24 but no one is willing to give Tim Erixon a chance.

I think he's going to develop here, especially under Babcock.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014

I'm forgetting my old school hockey writers reclamation stories. Would this be a Scott Young comeback story, or a Leslie McFarlane comeback story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad