Free Agent/Trade Thread 15-16 Off-Season: UFA Courting Starts 6-25, Cap Set at 71.4M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I cant wait for trades to start happening and for draft day to come. Ive virtually stopped posting because these threads are just rehashing the same stuff that's been talked about for months and months, with virtually no new information.

It's actually mind numbing. I could see us keeping Kessel for at least half the season, which scares me to think about how these boards would continue to have these threads for that long. The "any day now" mentality for 180 days straight.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
If Dallas is looking to move Lehtonen and improve in goal.

Would anyone do

To Dallas
Bernier, 2015 3rd(65th)

To Leafs
Lehtonen, Ritchie, A.Peters, 2015 2nd(49th)

I would in a heartbeat. We upgrade our pick and get a legit powerforward in Ritchie?
But I don't see why Dallas would.
I don't see that much upside b/w Bernier and Lehtonen.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
It's actually mind numbing. I could see us keeping Kessel for at least half the season, which scares me to think about how these boards would continue to have these threads for that long. The "any day now" mentality for 180 days straight.

The more the talks go on, the more I'm thinking this is the likely scenario.
If he really wants to go to one of those 10 teams, he'll have to show everybody he can regain his PPG form and at least be visible on defense.

Much higher chance of Lupul/Bozak traded than Phaneuf/Kessel.

I'm also worried that come deadline time, there will be all this "$8M is too much to move in-season, we gotta wait till the summer where there's more cap flexibility" talk.

Never ending story.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I would in a heartbeat. We upgrade our pick and get a legit powerforward in Ritchie?
But I don't see why Dallas would.
I don't see that much upside b/w Bernier and Lehtonen.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Brett Ritchie plays quite the same power game that his brother Nick does, though he's got the size for it. He's still young, but hasn't proven all that much yet.

As for Lehtonen, he's on the wrong side of 30 (though not too old for a goaltender), and just had his worst season in a while, if not ever, and is signed to a fat contract ($5.9M for the next 2 or 3 years). Dallas might not necessarily be looking to give him away for nothing, but getting a controllable asset like Bernier, who is younger and fits their core of Benn and Seguin better, is something that they could definitely be interested in.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

That's doubtful. Both Kessel and Phaneuf are said to be very much available (#2 and #3 trade bait as per TSN). Sure they could be kept if interest is low but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The UFA market is pretty bad this season. That works beautifully in our favour.

My only problem is that while I like our current management team, we don't have someone like Burke, or someone very aggressive, that can find great trades and pull out some interesting ones. Burke failed miserably here but if there's one thing he could do is pull some pretty good trades overall.

I'm just not sure how good Dubas will be at pursuing trades and perhaps being able to really outsmart very experienced GMs. We all know that some trades happen very quickly sometimes and if you don't have a lot of ears on the ground, you can miss out on opportunities . With that said, Dubas is the one receiving the calls, so he doesn't have to chase around too much.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That's doubtful. Both Kessel and Phaneuf are said to be very much available (#2 and #3 trade bait as per TSN). Sure they could be kept if interest is low but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The UFA market is pretty bad this season. That works beautifully in our favour.

My only problem is that while I like our current management team, we don't have someone like Burke, or someone very aggressive, that can find great trades and pull out some interesting ones. Burke failed miserably here but if there's one thing he could do is pull some pretty good trades overall.

I'm just not sure how good Dubas will be at pursuing trades and perhaps being able to really outsmart very experienced GMs. We all know that some trades happen very quickly sometimes and if you don't have a lot of ears on the ground, you can miss out on opportunities . With that said, Dubas is the one receiving the calls, so he doesn't have to chase around too much.

I agree, with only a few days brfore the draft, if Kessel isn't traded on or before the draft, I would think that, it's possible Kessel may not be dealt this year and only when the Leafs hire a new GM, mostly to maximise a really good return.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I could be mistaken, but I don't think Brett Ritchie plays quite the same power game that his brother Nick does, though he's got the size for it. He's still young, but hasn't proven all that much yet.

As for Lehtonen, he's on the wrong side of 30 (though not too old for a goaltender), and just had his worst season in a while, if not ever, and is signed to a fat contract ($5.9M for the next 2 or 3 years). Dallas might not necessarily be looking to give him away for nothing, but getting a controllable asset like Bernier, who is younger and fits their core of Benn and Seguin better, is something that they could definitely be interested in.
Not that Brett is like Lucic or anything, but he's a big guy on the ice and is pretty damn strong along the boards and in front. I watch a lot of Dallas games and loved watching him when he was playing with Seguin and Benn. He's not going to put up like 80 points or anything, but he'd be a nice addition for sure.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Not that Brett is like Lucic or anything, but he's a big guy on the ice and is pretty damn strong along the boards and in front. I watch a lot of Dallas games and loved watching him when he was playing with Seguin and Benn. He's not going to put up like 80 points or anything, but he'd be a nice addition for sure.

For sure. I was just clarifying that he's not the big bruiser his brother is supposed to be. I'd be happy to get him in a deal, wasn't trying to knock him in any way.

Thanks for the input, I don't see much of the Stars.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Would anyone do

To Dallas
Bernier, 2015 3rd(65th)

To Leafs

Not At All.

Would rather keep Bernier through the rebuild than trade him for a lackluster return. A bit of an upgrade in the draft and a guy that will be a 3rd liner. I'd quite honestly rather Reimer in net than Lehtonen.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I agree, with only a few days brfore the draft, if Kessel isn't traded on or before the draft, I would think that, it's possible Kessel may not be dealt this year and only when the Leafs hire a new GM, mostly to maximise a really good return.

Kessel will likely be moved first week of July after his bonus is paid.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Pretty much my thinking. Dallas gets a younger, more cost effective #1 goalie heading into his prime, while moving an aging, possibly declining goalie on a huge contract. They save likely about $2ml in cap instead of having to take on a bad contract in order to get something back. They also get to keep their 1st rounder while addressing a need.

Leafs get two project prospects and slightly move up in the draft, but have to take on a bad contract for 3 years.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I really don't think any major trades are going to happen before the draft.

Draft picks are at their lowest value at the Trade Deadline and they're at their highest value at the draft - when everyone is looking as possible picks.

Teams are going to be stingy with their picks and it's going to make more sense to trade guys like Kessel & Co. for picks in next year's draft.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I really don't think any major trades are going to happen before the draft.

Draft picks are at their lowest value at the Trade Deadline and they're at their highest value at the draft - when everyone is looking as possible picks.

Teams are going to be stingy with their picks and it's going to make more sense to trade guys like Kessel & Co. for picks in next year's draft.

That depends. The conversations at Draft usually hinge on a certain player being in position. The fundamentals can be laid out prior and if one team blows us away with an offer which nobody compares with, well, it would make sense to see what the ripple effect is.

In some cases making big trades to other teams will break open the market. Ie. Kessel ends up in Anahheim or Dion. The main competitors in that division must evaluate their chances. If they suddenly feel they can't compete with that then another move is provoked. At this point that teams competitors start sensing the need to upgrade.

Essentially what I am saying is tactically it may even make sense to make a big trade now in order to open the market to other trades which could in turn help us to move more assets.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Not At All.

Would rather keep Bernier through the rebuild than trade him for a lackluster return. A bit of an upgrade in the draft and a guy that will be a 3rd liner. I'd quite honestly rather Reimer in net than Lehtonen.

Fair enough. Doesn't mean Lehtonen has to be the starter though. Alex Peters could develop into a second pair, physical defensive d-man as well and we should be able to draft Vladar or Booth with the up-grade in pick.
Lehtonen gives us a chance to develop our goalies more in the minors and even move Reimer at next years TDL, especially if he has had a good year and we can get a good return. As much as I like Bernier, I am not against moving him to stock the shelves with prospects and picks, but I understand why you would want to keep him.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Would anyone do

To Dallas
Bernier, 2015 3rd(65th)

To Leafs

No thanks. We could do better if we were moving Bernier

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think people often forget that there is strategy to trades. They see only players being moved but miss the subsequent moves that happen as a direct result to that. Strategically the best place to trade a star player is to the tightest conference or division. If you can hand one team an advantage the other teams will look to counter.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
That depends. The conversations at Draft usually hinge on a certain player being in position. The fundamentals can be laid out prior and if one team blows us away with an offer which nobody compares with, well, it would make sense to see what the ripple effect is.

In some cases making big trades to other teams will break open the market. Ie. Kessel ends up in Anahheim or Dion. The main competitors in that division must evaluate their chances. If they suddenly feel they can't compete with that then another move is provoked. At this point that teams competitors start sensing the need to upgrade.

Essentially what I am saying is tactically it may even make sense to make a big trade now in order to open the market to other trades which could in turn help us to move more assets.

Making a trade, to make a trade, in hopes that it might help you make more trades seems like a really poor strategy.

They want to maximize assets. It makes more sense that the best offers will include next year's draft picks - not this year's.

Plus teams are likely going to be desperate after the top UFA's are gone.

A team that needs a top LD and sees Sekera sign elsewhere will be motivated to make a good offer for Phanuef.

A team that needs to improve their C position and sees Vermette take a different offer, might have no choice but to make an offer for Bozak.

Trades getting done before the draft is pretty unlikely, IMO.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Kessel will likely be moved first week of July after his bonus is paid.

Is it possible to make a draft day trade that would be for Kessel only he would be for a player to be named later. Then after his bonus is paid the trade is finished. I don't think this is cup circumvention as it is "real" dollars and would make sense from a financial point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia