Free Agent/Trade Thread 15-16 Off-Season: UFA Courting Starts 6-25, Cap Set at 71.4M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the old thread was full , let's start a new one.
Reminder that Free-Agent Courting begins next week (I think the same day as Draft (26th, June) but it might be a bit before that).

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
the old thread was full , let's start a new one.
Reminder that free-agent courting begins next week (i think the same day as draft (26th, june) but it might be a bit before that).

According to Pierre LeBrun, the interview period for free agents to talk with other teams begins on June 25, 2015. Free agents can't sign with other NHL teams until July 1, 2015.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
We should trade Kessel only if we get full value. Otherwise let him play a season under Babs. He will return to his ppg numbers. His value is at an all time low now.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Not many teams will be interested in giving up their 1st's for roster players, but they might be willing to move down. Also, getting a bucket of 1st's isn't realistic, but 2nd's might be.

Quality AND Quantity strategy: use roster players to move up in draft, picking up 2nd rounders to even up value.

Example:
Bernier + 24 <-------> 16 + 33 + 57

16 + Polak <--------> 13 + 43 + Richards + 3rd 2016

Getting into the top 10 is the trickiest part, but:
13 + JVR <---------> 6 + 36 + 41

would net (in terms of relevant assets)

24 + JVR + Bernier <--------> 6 + 33 + 36 + 41 + 43 + 57

Quality (6th overall) & Quantity (5 2nd's)

Some big assets leaving, but getting another early first rounder (and the chance to leave the draft with two potential franchise players) as well as five boom-or-bust 2nd rounders is worth it in IMO, especially since at least half of Bernier and JVR's remaining prime years could be wasted on rebuild seasons.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We should trade Kessel only if we get full value. Otherwise let him play a season under Babs. He will return to his ppg numbers. His value is at an all time low now.

Except teams that are getting him won't really take into account his poor second half. It was a poor second half for everyone, including Bernier for everyone losing trust in him. The only guys that improved were guys whom were grossly misused by Carlyle and sucked the first half, so pretty much the only way was up (aka Gardiner). Teams wanting Kessel are going to be paying full price + for him. His value has remained constant, if not increased, from when we acquired him, and shouldn't have decreased at all over the past years.

We aren't underselling anyone here. Why should we? The guys we are moving are worth 100% of their contracts (okay, 80% for Lupul but that's only because of his unlucky injuries and to a team that cares about internal budgets) and are important players on any team. Believe it or not, those guys go for high prices. We'll see whom goes, but I expect at least 2 or 3 guys before or at the draft and maybe another 2 or 3 after it. I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 guys go before the draft if teams really wanted to jump the gun... Maybe they do, considering our guys are some of the best and most reasonably priced out there. Better than overpaying for average FA's, pricey veterans and unproven backups anyways.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not many teams will be interested in giving up their 1st's for roster players, but they might be willing to move down. Also, getting a bucket of 1st's isn't realistic, but 2nd's might be.

Quality AND Quantity strategy: use roster players to move up in draft, picking up 2nd rounders to even up value.

Example:
Bernier + 24 <-------> 16 + 33 + 57

16 + Polak <--------> 13 + 43 + Richards + 3rd 2016

Getting into the top 10 is the trickiest part, but:
13 + JVR <---------> 6 + 36 + 41

would net (in terms of relevant assets)

24 + JVR + Bernier <--------> 6 + 33 + 36 + 41 + 43 + 57

Quality (6th overall) & Quantity (5 2nd's)

Some big assets leaving, but getting another early first rounder (and the chance to leave the draft with two potential franchise players) as well as five boom-or-bust 2nd rounders is worth it in IMO, especially since at least half of Bernier and JVR's remaining prime years could be wasted on rebuild seasons.

But taking on Richards makes it crap, and some of these are unrealistic. We'll see what happens. Good roster players can go for pure picks. And if we just traded all of these guys for pure picks, I'm sure the haul will be relatively the same after a little bit of jostling, except no Richards (whom, IMO, has a worse contract than Clarkson).

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I believe Bernier for Edmonton's #16 has been seen by both bases as doable. Would 16 and our #24 get us a top 10? Would JVR + 16 or JVR + 24 get us a top 10? The opportunity to draft both a quality D and F this year is very attractive. My dream:
Hanifin/Marner (if Marner's gone Barzal/Zacha)
if Hanifin is drafted 3rd,
Provorov/Marner (B/Z)
I view the drop between the two top D prospects and Werenski to be greater than the drop between the two top F prospects (M/Strome) and those who follow (B/Z/Rantanen/Crouse/Connor etc). I also view building from your D out is preferable to building from F back.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The above also leaves Kessel and Dion on the table for more picks either this year or next. Exciting times!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
But taking on Richards makes it crap, and some of these are unrealistic. We'll see what happens. Good roster players can go for pure picks. And if we just traded all of these guys for pure picks, I'm sure the haul will be relatively the same after a little bit of jostling, except no Richards (whom, IMO, has a worse contract than Clarkson).

Which do you think is unrealistic? (I could have provided rationale for each, but like to keep posts as succinct as possible so that the main message doesn't get lost.)

And as i said, I don't think you find many teams willing to trade their pick flat out.

Would we trade the 4th without getting a later pick? Not a chance. Would we trade back? While many fans don't want to, it's certainly conceivable.

JVR might be worth an X overall pick, but unless the team holding that pick is cool with missing out on a very strong draft, the trade doesn't happen.

As for Richards, I see him much like Semin or others, as collateral damage. Somewhat worse because of years 4 and 5, but if it gets hockey value, you do it and get a return on the extra cap space you have available during rebuild.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I believe Bernier for Edmonton's #16 has been seen by both bases as doable. Would 16 and our #24 get us a top 10? Would JVR + 16 or JVR + 24 get us a top 10? The opportunity to draft both a quality D and F this year is very attractive. My dream:
Hanifin/Marner (if Marner's gone Barzal/Zacha)
if Hanifin is drafted 3rd,
Provorov/Marner (B/Z)
I view the drop between the two top D prospects and Werenski to be greater than the drop between the two top F prospects (M/Strome) and those who follow (B/Z/Rantanen/Crouse/Connor etc). I also view building from your D out is preferable to building from F back.

IMO Edmonton will be adding an established veteran goalie via FA, not trade.Bernier will not return a first round pick after the season he had. Teams will not give big value for question marks and Bernier wasn't worth a 1st in a weak year when the Leafs got him. If you don't think he can help the Leafs, why would the Oilers see it any differently? Niemi or similar and because they have.Scrivens under contract they wont look at a Bernier type yet. Their trading chits will go for D and likely no older than 25 although Dion would probably be more interesting if he didn't big money plus big term. They don't make good trading partners for TO. Kessel, JVR, and Kadri will return 1sts but the destination has to be a fit (no top 6 picks are getting dealt straight up because clubs with high picks usually don't think they are close enough to blow it all on a guy in his prime today. Clubs with ugly money to send back are a little different in the size of a deal they would take back but I think they still expect either picks or really strong prospects before they toss you a potential franchise player.

I do think JVR plus 16 would definitely get you into the top 10. You might get Barzal or Zacha with him and the 24th but only if they are there around 10-11. He was worth more a year ago although there might be a particular organization that is in love with the guy.

Last edited:

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
The Calgary Flames have 3 second round picks this year. I wonder if we can get one of their 2nd round picks for Tyler Bozak. The Flames were 5th last in the league last year in terms of faceoff win %, and their best forward pointwise outside of their top line was Lance Bouma with 34 points LOOL. Bozak would help them tremendously in my opinion, and he fits right into their system as he sucks at possession but put up points.

Tyler Bozak for 2nd round pick

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Which do you think is unrealistic? (I could have provided rationale for each, but like to keep posts as succinct as possible so that the main message doesn't get lost.)

And as i said, I don't think you find many teams willing to trade their pick flat out.

Would we trade the 4th without getting a later pick? Not a chance. Would we trade back? While many fans don't want to, it's certainly conceivable.

JVR might be worth an X overall pick, but unless the team holding that pick is cool with missing out on a very strong draft, the trade doesn't happen.

I completely agree with you. There's way too many trade proposals on this forum where teams are supposed to give us a high pick for a player. It just doesn't happen that way in the cap era. Also, when you go to the main boards and other teams propose that we give our 4th pick away for so and so package, there's usually a collective rage response by us. It goes both ways.

To get another top 10 is going to take incredible cunning.....lots of packaging of picks with players until eventually we have the right combo. I think it's doable, but it's going to take some major wheeling and dealing.

Also, we're going to have to take back cap dumps. That's just the way it is with the cap. I don't see those as such a big deal.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
The Calgary Flames have 3 second round picks this year. I wonder if we can get one of their 2nd round picks for Tyler Bozak. The Flames were 5th last in the league last year in terms of faceoff win %, and their best forward pointwise outside of their top line was Lance Bouma with 34 points LOOL. Bozak would help them tremendously in my opinion, and he fits right into their system as he sucks at possession but put up points.

I'd love to return Burke's free wallet to him.

Any scenario that ensures that I won't have to watch him again is peachy.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

If we looked into it hrdd enough, I wouldn't be surprised if we could get two seconds for Bozak; they may not get both this year, but hey could get a 2015 2nd and 2016 2nd imo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

What are their needs anyway? I don't think Bozak fits one with their current setup. They all ready have a few decent centers and some great young centers.

I think they might need a top 4 defender and some skilled size in their top 6 to complement Hudler, Gaudreau and their younger players.

To me, JVR, Lupul, Polak, Gardiner and even Reimer would fit a need on their team.

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario

If we looked into it hrdd enough, I wouldn't be surprised if we could get two seconds for Bozak; they may not get both this year, but hey could get a 2015 2nd and 2016 2nd imo

What are their needs anyway? I don't think Bozak fits one with their current setup. They all ready have a few decent centers and some great young centers.

I think they might need a top 4 defender and some skilled size in their top 6 to complement Hudler, Gaudreau and their younger players.

To me, JVR, Lupul, Polak, Gardiner and even Reimer would fit a need on their team.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we can get 2 2nd round picks for Bozak if they are desperate enough. Calgary's needs imo are right wingers primarily and forwards who put up points in the top 6. Again, their best forward pointwise last year outside of monahan, gaudreau and hudler was lance bouma. They need to improve

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With recent reports (ie Elliott Friedman HNIC) that Detroit is now willing to trade their 1st round pick #19 overall and their interest in Phaneuf previously, I believe there is a deal to be made here.

Phaneuf + ____?____ to Detroit for 1st (19th overall) + S.Weiss (offsetting cap) + ___?___ .

Lets fill in the blanks here and get this thing wrapped up before the draft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Its always the right thing to do when you do find a lost wallet is to return it to its original owner. :wg:

Bozak would be a significant upgrade on Matt Stajan for the Flames and Calgary has extra 2nd rounders to spare.

I'd suggest we bundle up a pair of Burkie's Tyler boys and send them Bozak and Biggs for a pair of 2nds.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Its always the right thing to do when you do find a lost wallet is to return it to its original owner. :wg:

Bozak would be a significant upgrade on Matt Stajan for the Flames and Calgary has extra 2nd rounders to spare.

I'd suggest we bundle up a pair of Burkie's Tyler boys and send them Bozak and Biggs for a pair of 2nds.

I think they'd have more interest in Panik or Lupul even. Stajan's a mainstay in the Calgary community, he's not going to be outed so easily IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Phaneuf, Biggs and Bozak

For 1st, Mantha, Sproul and Weiss.

Biggs was a target of Detroit in his draft year, a throw in prospect that they could maybe see some untapped potential with a change in scenery. Bozak was one of their targets when he was a UFA for a brief period before settling for Weiss. He'd also be a solid top 9 depth option for them. Phaneuf, well we know they like him. Detroit can pawn off Kindl and/or Smith for depth to shed cap space.

Leafs get good future assets obviously. Mantha has a lot of potential and adds a size dimension that we lack a bit on the Marlies, but definitely has lost value in the last year. Sproul is a solid RHD offensive defender prospect, could be NHL ready if/when the Leafs purge a lot of their roster players. Weiss is the big cap dump, and I don't think he'd be thrilled with being coached by Babcock again, but perhaps with a lot less depth in front of him he could rejuvenate his career just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad