Free Agent/Trade Thread 14-15 Post Season V.38 : June Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
What does Kessel provide for us over the next 5 years while we are rebuilding? What does he provide when he is 34 @ 8M a year and we are starting to compete in the playoffs?

Teams can't and won't pay a premium. Cap space is valuable and an asset. Sure Tampa would kill for a Phil Kessel but not at the expense of multiple pieces which make their team worse in the long run.

Kessel needs to go. He isn't in the future plans and when we finally are in the position to use him he will be past his prime.

I dont think you understand what the NHL is about.

The ultimate goal is to win a cup. I can guarantee Tampa(any team) will mortgage the long term future if they can win the cup. Every team mortgages the future to secure a cup victory. Why else do you see the price paid for players moved for picks/prospects.

Cap space is useless if you dont have the right players to use it on. If you think teams wouldnt pay 8mil for ppg playoff performer, you are dead wrong. Look at other players paid in that salary range.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Kessel and Polak for 11th, Jokinen, Petrovic and conditional 2016 pick

Or

Kessel and Percy for 11, Kulikov, Jokinen and conditional pick

Second one allows Florida to save some money for eating the Kessel bonus

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I really don't get these horrible trades for Kessel. Plain and simply put if a team wants Kessel ( and there is quite a few) they will have to pony up a 1st rounder not necessarily this years, two prospects and a roster player or a 1st rounder, a very good blue chip young roster player, and a prospect. If teams need to shed salary they will add a cap dump player but that would include another late draft pick depending on the length and player.
That is realistically what Kessel gets on the market, for crying out loud Coburn got Philadelphia a 1st round pick and he isn't close to sniffing Kessels jock let alone talent wise. Phaneuf would bring in a 1st Rd pick and a prospect maybe two, so these trades of eg: Kessel for Vanek, 1st and Spurgeon isn't even close to what they should bring in.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I dont think you understand what the NHL is about.

The ultimate goal is to win a cup. I can guarantee Tampa(any team) will mortgage the long term future if they can win the cup. Every team mortgages the future to secure a cup victory. Why else do you see the price paid for players moved for picks/prospects.

Cap space is useless if you dont have the right players to use it on. If you think teams wouldnt pay 8mil for ppg playoff performer, you are dead wrong. Look at other players paid in that salary range.

Oh, trust me I understand what the NHL is about.

Of course the ultimate goal is the win the Stanley Cup but not every deal makes sense to win the cup. Again, of course you would pay Kessel 8M a year but it has to make sense for both teams. Let put together some hypothetical players that would be in a deal.

Players you will NOT be getting from Tampa Bay:
Stamkos
Hedman
Johnson
Bishop
Kucherov
Palat
Drouin

Players that would NOT make sense for the Leafs to get:
Callahan
Carle
Garrison
Coburn
Stralman
Filppula
Boyle
Ohlund

Up until this point that is 60M cap space which will not be moved. This doesn't even include extensions to players like Stamkos.

Now here are players that could be in play for a deal:
Killorn
Vasilevskiy
Brown
Namestnikov
Paquette
1st (NYR)
Deangelo
Erne
Koekkoek
Nesterov

Now with this list of players we could try and throw together some deals. Keep in mind Tampa will be approaching a max cap without including any of the possible players on the cap. Also keep in mind that having ELC and bridge contracts are key to success in the NHL.

We don't want to have Killorn, Brown, Paquette as center pieces of a deal. This shortens our list even more.

I mean sure if Tampa was willing to deal Erne + DeAngelo + 1st for Kessel then we could negotiate a deal. Does this deal make sense for the Leafs? I think so. Does it really make sense for the Lightning? Probably not. It will put themselves into cap problems in the future and they already have a young and growing team that came within 2 wins of a Stanley cup. Progression from other players within the organisation at a cheaper value will bring them more than Kessel.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Oh, trust me I understand what the NHL is about.

Of course the ultimate goal is the win the Stanley Cup but not every deal makes sense to win the cup. Again, of course you would pay Kessel 8M a year but it has to make sense for both teams. Let put together some hypothetical players that would be in a deal.

Players you will NOT be getting from Tampa Bay:
Stamkos
Hedman
Johnson
Bishop
Kucherov
Palat
Drouin

Players that would NOT make sense for the Leafs to get:
Callahan
Carle
Garrison
Coburn
Stralman
Filppula
Boyle
Ohlund

Up until this point that is 60M cap space which will not be moved. This doesn't even include extensions to players like Stamkos.

Now here are players that could be in play for a deal:
Killorn
Vasilevskiy
Brown
Namestnikov
Paquette
1st (NYR)
Deangelo
Erne
Koekkoek
Nesterov

Now with this list of players we could try and throw together some deals. Keep in mind Tampa will be approaching a max cap without including any of the possible players on the cap. Also keep in mind that having ELC and bridge contracts are key to success in the NHL.

We don't want to have Killorn, Brown, Paquette as center pieces of a deal. This shortens our list even more.

I mean sure if Tampa was willing to deal Erne + DeAngelo + 1st for Kessel then we could negotiate a deal. Does this deal make sense for the Leafs? I think so. Does it really make sense for the Lightning? Probably not. It will put themselves into cap problems in the future and they already have a young and growing team that came within 2 wins of a Stanley cup. Progression from other players within the organisation at a cheaper value will bring them more than Kessel.

how is Slater Koekkoek expected to turn out?

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
how is Slater Koekkoek expected to turn out?

Hard to say. He was a top 10 pick in 2012 but I am sure if you ask Tampa fans what they think of him than they would say he has slightly disappointed thus far. The best comparable within the Leafs organisation is probably Percy. Quality prospect that might become a 2nd pairing D man but nothing too special.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Hard to say. He was a top 10 pick in 2012 but I am sure if you ask Tampa fans what they think of him than they would say he has slightly disappointed thus far. The best comparable within the Leafs organisation is probably Percy. Quality prospect that might become a 2nd pairing D man but nothing too special.

Ya, I know he's one of Morgan Rielly's buddies, so I was wondering if he's worth trying to pick up.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How about:

TO TOR: Coyle + Dumba + #20 + Vanek + Backstrom

TO MIN: Kessel + Bozak @ 50% retained + Reimer + "C" prospect/contract

Then go fishing with Vanek for more picks (2 x 2nds maybe?)

High marks in quantity dept - 8 players involved. :yo:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kessel and Polak for 11th, Jokinen, Petrovic and conditional 2016 pick

Or

Kessel and Percy for 11, Kulikov, Jokinen and conditional pick

Second one allows Florida to save some money for eating the Kessel bonus

I guess the Tallon quote that he was not trading #11 is to be disregarded? It was posted here as well.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The expectation for some is that we'll have at least five 1st rounders it seems. :popcorn:

I love that article on PPP though about how good the 2016 draft is shaping up, and how Shanny should start stockpiling those before others catch on.

It's true - you just finnish spending the whole year focused on the 2015 draft class - you get attached to them. The detailed focus hasn't shifted yet to the 2016 class, and while the scouts are aware of them, the value is lower than the immediate 2015 picks.

I can't find the link - but it was a fun read.

Yes. It was good. Good old Sam Pollock. Montreal was a powerhouse in those days and had a lot of farm teams. My cousin was drafted by them.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Yes. It was good. Good old Sam Pollock. Montreal was a powerhouse in those days and had a lot of farm teams. My cousin was drafted by them.

Scotty Bowman said it was easier to trade the known pick then futures because it was an unknown value. With the current draft you at least knew the pick and type of prospect you were giving up

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
Ryan O'Reilly is in the last year of his contract and Avs have/are considering trading him if they can't get him resigned.

He is an Ontario boy and the potential to be future captain material.

How about Kadri, Gardiner + 24 for ROR & #10 overall?

(under the condition Leafs can come to terms on a long-term extension for ROR first).

Who is with me on this and would Avs do it ?

Hell yes! Percy can fill Gardiner's shoes.

TO: Marner+ Provorov/Werenski + ROR = HS!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I love that article on PPP though about how good the 2016 draft is shaping up, and how Shanny should start stockpiling those before others catch on.

It's true - you just finnish spending the whole year focused on the 2015 draft class - you get attached to them. The detailed focus hasn't shifted yet to the 2016 class, and while the scouts are aware of them, the value is lower than the immediate 2015 picks.

I can't find the link - but it was a fun read.

2016 has some interesting top end talent that is worth drooling over.

Also something to keep in mind is that the draft lottery changes from 1 draw to 3 draws for the top 3 players. The more 2016 top 10 picks (or non playoff) lottery tickets you own the greater the odds of lading top picks.

Lastly Babcock might coach the Leafs out of the bottom 10 and so then relying on other teams having down years might help getting top picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad