Free Agent/Trade Thread 14-15 Post Season V.38 : June Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

last month in pondering which nhl teams would be the most likely to have interest in kessel, the nashville predators, florida panthers, st. Louis blues and new york islanders were singled out. Since then, the carolina hurricanes have also been mentioned in speculation involving the leafs winger.

In looking at each team and using the traditional return formula plus the salary factor, this is what you could see coming back as part of a kessel deal if it happens.

Note: A trade with kessel may involve other leafs players or their #24 pick in a trade up scenario and this is purely theoretical.

Nashville:

Young player: Ryan ellis or mattias ekholm
prospect: Jimmy vesey or kevin fiala
bad contract: Viktor stalberg
first round pick: 2016

florida

young player: Jonathan huberdeau or vincent trocheck
prospect: Rocco grimaldi or rights to zach hyman
bad contract: Brian campbell
first round pick: 2015 (11th overall)

st. Louis

young player: Dmitrij jaskin
prospect: Robby fabbri
bad contract: Patrik berglund

ny islanders

young player: Ryan strome, anders lee, brock nelson, josh bailey, or michael dal colle
prospect: Griffin reinhart
bad contract: Michael grabner/mikhail grabovski

carolina

young player: Jeff skinner
bad contract: Alex semin
first round pick: 2015 (5th overall)

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Washington Post, Washington Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan said that adding a top-line right winger to play with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom is among his offseason priorities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...ian-maclellan-goes-over-offseason-to-do-list/

Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan said Monday that adding a top-line right winger to play with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom is among his offseason priorities.

Speaking to reporters for the first time since the Capitals lost Game 7 in their second-round series against the Rangers last Wednesday, MacLellan noted that a more consistent option on their No. 1 line is desirable. Ovechkin and Backstrom played with nine different wingers this past season.

“It’s on the shopping list,” Mac-Lellan said. “It would be a priority for us if we could find a guy that could play there. … I don’t like to see revolving players go through that spot all year. You’d like to see more stability where a guy is there almost permanently.”

MacLellan suggested that acquiring a top-line winger may have to come from a trade rather than through free agency.

“Otherwise, we’ll have to develop a guy,” he said. “We’ll have to look at [Andre] Burakovsky; we’re going to have to find a guy. But that is a priority.”

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Flyers want a winger or D man in that order in the draft.

If Leafs do not see much of a margin from Marner/Hanifin to Barzal/Provorov if Arizona pick Strome.

Do they deal #4 for #7 and the TB pick Philly has at 29/30?

“It’s something we would definitely look at,” said Leafs interim co-GM Kyle Dubas. “If someone else was adamant about a player, we’re pretty comfortable with the players in that cluster.
“We need to be acquiring as many draft pick assets as we can, as many prospects as we can. If there was something that made sense, we’d be open to listening and having some thorough discussions on the fourth pick.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/06/06/maple-leafs-may-look-to-trade-top-selection.html

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kessel is the kind of line where it wouldn't even matter how bad they were defensively because they'd just score like 4 goals a game between them. :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kessel is the kind of line where it wouldn't even matter how bad they were defensively because they'd just score like 4 goals a game between them. :laugh:

Pretty much. Top Russian player, one of the top Euros and one of the top USA. All star line.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

They'd probably dominate the flow of the game enough that while there are defensive deficiencies there, they'll spend so little time in their zone that it wouldn't matter. Kind of like how that line was with Semin back in the day.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ryan O'Reilly is in the last year of his contract and Avs have/are considering trading him if they can't get him resigned.

He is an Ontario boy and the potential to be future captain material.

How about Kadri, Gardiner + 24 for ROR & #10 overall?

(under the condition Leafs can come to terms on a long-term extension for ROR first).

Who is with me on this and would Avs do it ?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Beat writer for CLB taken from main board:

Brendan Ross ‏@RossyYoungblood 7m7 minutes ago
Columbus is a team to watch. With eyes on improving their blueline depth, CBJ has the pieces to trade up into Hanifin territory. #NHLDraft

Would be really, really interesting if we pried that 5th OA from Carolina then turned around and sold Hanifin to Columbus. Seemed like on the main board they floated Rychel + 8th for 4th/5th, but consensus was that it seemed like it wasn't enough to get #4 OA.

I combine this with what I heard about Leafs management being really high on Provarov, and with the subsequent rumours over the last few days that they may be willing to trade down. The framework of a plan seems like it might be there:

Kadri (or other player) + 24th OA to Carolina for 5th OA + Semin

Draft Marner

5th OA to CLB for Kerby Rychel + 8th OA

Draft Provarov

Come away with Marner, Rychel, and Provarov. Not including other deals and picks obviously.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Ryan O'Reilly is in the last year of his contract and Avs have/are considering trading him if they can't get him resigned.

(under the condition Leafs can come to terms on a long-term extension for ROR first).

I really like ROR but I'd rather look to grab him in FA in that case. We wouldn't have to give up big assets and the contract will likely not be much worth (ROR will be pushing to get as much as possible in either case, it's what he does). If we don't get him, which is obviously a big risk, then it's not the end of the world.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

That's a no brainer deal for me, Mess.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I would not. Not that I dislike ROR, on the contrary actually, but I don't see the move as beneficial for us. He's rumoured to be wanting +$7M/y, so we're giving 2 young pieces and a 1st to move up 14 spots and rent a player for the year (I'm assuming based on the price we don't re-sign ROR). I mean, it's not bad. I'm just inclined to see what else is out there for Kadri and Gardiner.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
i would only do 8th for 4th if its Wennberg
Rychel is nice but i'd want a higher ceiling player for trading down

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON

I would do it. But I don't think Colorado does. ROR is pretty much Gardiner and Kadri. So we are just switching our 24th for their 10th?

Phaneuf and Kadri and 24th for 10th and ROR.

That's what I would guess it would take

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Beat writer for CLB taken from main board:

Would be really, really interesting if we pried that 5th OA from Carolina then turned around and sold Hanifin to Columbus. Seemed like on the main board they floated Rychel + 8th for 4th/5th, but consensus was that it seemed like it wasn't enough to get #4 OA.

I combine this with what I heard about Leafs management being really high on Provarov, and with the subsequent rumours over the last few days that they may be willing to trade down. The framework of a plan seems like it might be there:

Kadri (or other player) + 24th OA to Carolina for 5th OA + Semin

Draft Marner

5th OA to CLB for Kerby Rychel + 8th OA

Draft Provarov

Come away with Marner, Rychel, and Provarov. Not including other deals and picks obviously.

How about JVR and a prospect to CAR for Semin and 5th overall.
Rychel along with CBJ's first and 2nd for 4th overall.

Maybe we can get CBJ and Philly in a bidding war to move up to 4th.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would do it. But I don't think Colorado does. ROR is pretty much Gardiner and Kadri. So we are just switching our 24th for their 10th?

Phaneuf and Kadri and 24th for 10th and ROR.

That's what I would guess it would take

Giving away Phaneuf and his 6 years at $7 mil is actually better for us than giving away Gardiner who is young and potentially part of our team going forward.

PS. Shows what good drafting can get you has Kadri was drafted 1st round #7 overall and ROR 2nd round #33 overall in 2009 the same draft.

Gardiner himself was a 1st rounder previously also #17 overall in 2008.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
once the conversation chanes to phanuef whey wouldn't they just pay ROR the same amount?

maybe shifting cap to D where its needed but still for me think that really gets them questitioning a move like that

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Ideally, we send them Phaneuf for ROR. And if they want us to take a cap dump, someone like Stuart, then we can do that. This is one instance in which the salary being exchanged for Phaneuf is quite equal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
once the conversation chanes to phanuef whey wouldn't they just pay ROR the same amount?

maybe shifting cap to D where its needed but still for me think that really gets them questitioning a move like that

I agree that is why I suggested Gardiner and younger and cheaper option where they get Kadri + Gardiner in the same ~ range as ROR cap wise. Kadri replaces the loss at C and Gardiner helps their D.

Kadri + Gardiner at ~ $ 9 mil cap as opposed to ROR at +$7 mil.

Avs are younger team so I think they would want younger assets in return as opposed to a 30 year old Phaneuf on a expensive long term deal.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I agree that is why I suggested Gardiner and younger and cheaper option where they get Kadri + Gardiner in the same ~ range as ROR cap wise. Kadri replaces the loss at C and Gardiner helps their D.

Kadri + Gardiner at ~ $ 9 mil cap as opposed to ROR at +$7 mil.

Avs are younger team so I think they would want younger assets in return as opposed to a 30 year old Phaneuf on a expensive long term deal.

some reason i remember them liking Bozak too

Gardiner, Bozak and 24 for ROR

I really like ROR but probably not in line with where the leafs are at this point.
a deal without the 24th sure but once you start getting in to futures for ROR not sure it makes sense .

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I hope a team that plans on taking Hanifin trades with Arizona. That way Marner is a guarantee for us.

Kessel to Washington would be a good fit. Wilson, Bowey and a 1st?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Really like ROR, but not see if I'd want to move both Kadri and Gardiner in a deal for him. Especially since he's looking for a massive pay raise and is close to UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad