Free Agent/Trade Thread 14-15 Post Season V.38 : June Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Ryan O'Reilly is apparently officially on the market and Avs are listening to offers.

This is a player the Leafs really should try and get.

Avs need defense and Phaneuf is for sale and Gardiner could be had also.

Kadri + Gardiner + #24 for ROR + prospect + #10 overall under the condition that ROR agrees to a long term extension first.

I believe contracts talks can begin June 24th (UFA and RFA courting period) but could not be made official until July 1st under the terms of the CBA.

I would love to get him but I think the price will be too much.

Also technically it can start now from what I know about from Lebrun

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Ryan O'Reilly (Born Feb 7 1991) for Nazem Kadri (Born Oct 6 1990) or Jake Gardiner (Born Jul 4 1990 ) is making the Toronto team younger. I thought that was the goal of this rebuild. ;)

Ryan O'Reilly .. 2014-15 - Colorado Avalanche .. NHL .. 82 games 17 goals 38 assists 55 points
verses
Nazem Kadri .. 2014-15 - Toronto Maple Leafs .. NHL .. 73 games 18 goals 21 assists 39 points

So this suggestion makes the Leafs younger and better and the #10th overall pick (Rantanen, Zacha, Werenski) is much better than the #24th overall pick in this draft.

I don't really understand your trade proposal really your saying ROR > Kadri then offer Kadri + Gardiner + 24th for ROR + prospect + 10th overall so Colorado in your scenario are giving up the better center and much better pick and all they get is Gardiner in return for that.

They've shifted ROR to wing.

That solves that.

ROR can play both in 13-14 season he played beside Duchene on the wing, however this past year he played as the 2nd line center for the majority of the year, with Mackinnon and Landeskog and Tanquay as his main wingers.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just a question for everyone here:

If Tampa were to come back to win the Cup this season, but don't challenge for it next season.....

Does Stamkos:

1. Decide to leave Tampa to sign with Toronto, feeling that he did what he was supposed to do in Tampa and win them a Cup? It's well documented that he is a huge Leafs fan, and would love to play for them at some point.

or

2. Decide to re-sign with the Lightning, feeling that he might be able to win another championship with them. They have a real good, young team that might challenge for the Cup on a regular basis.

There could be cap issues that make it difficult to re-sign him, as they will have other key players to re-sign as well. Adding "Stanley Cup champion" to your resume, will only increase your value and bump up your salary.

What say you? :popcorn:

He would obviously come to Toronto. Just like every other star player has once they've hit UFA.

Already got my custom-made jersey ordered.

Yes, I believe they are sitting somewhere in a warehouse in Toronto ready to fly off the shelves. NHL clubs rarely sign their own drafted star players - very rare.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
In an ideal situation yes.
They have two now so 5 min would be awesome anything more than that is a bonus and reason to finally smile as a leafs fan.

Considering that management and coaching staff have all said out loud that the core needs to change.
Bozak, lupol, gardiner, polak, dion, phil, jvr and bernier could surely get us 3 1st rounders at least

LOL - I can't tell if you're joking, or just have played too much NHL15! :laugh:

Realistically, if can get one or two extra top 60 picks for this draft it will be a huge haul. Most teams will be offering 2016 picks in deals. Unfortunately the depth of this draft is not a HF Leaf Boards secret ;)

I'd be happy if we get a third one, tbh.

The expectation for some is that we'll have at least five 1st rounders it seems. :popcorn:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
You mean winger.

ROR has played center his entire career besides the 1 year in 13-14 season where he was shifted to wing because they had Duchene/Statsny/Mackinnon/ROR all in there top 6, and this season just past since Statsny left he went back to his natural position at center. he took 1334 faceoffs this past season which was 22nd most in the league, wingers don't take that many draws. and conversly when he played wing the year before he only took 300ish faceoffs

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
ROR would be the best faceoff player the leafs have. He'd be a C

He's also exactly the type of player they say they want the team to play as

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ryan O'Reilly is apparently officially on the market and Avs are listening to offers.

This is a player the Leafs really should try and get.

Avs need defense and Phaneuf is for sale and Gardiner could be had also.

Kadri + Gardiner + #24 for ROR + prospect + #10 overall under the condition that ROR agrees to a long term extension first.

I believe contracts talks can begin June 24th (UFA and RFA courting period) but could not be made official until July 1st under the terms of the CBA.

ROR is going to going to UFA, it's really obviously. Trading assets for ROR is a really stupid idea imo

Colorado is not on Kessel list NTC list and Avs have a lot of offense already and are in more need of defense.

How about ROR for JVR?

That list was made a year ago when the team had a different direction and it has the look of him putting teams on that had a slim chance of being traded to to avoid being traded altogether.

Now that the team is rebuilding I'd bet he'd agree to be traded just about anyway. I think he came out and said recently he'd go where the team wants him to go.

And how do you go from the Avs need more defense to trying to trade them another winger? I get JVR is more defensive than Kessel but it's still not a defenseman.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
ROR would be the best faceoff player the leafs have. He'd be a C

He's also exactly the type of player they say they want the team to play as

I'd really like to get ROR, however i don't want to move futures and prospects for him. If the Avs wanted Dion i'd pull tge trigger on a heartbeat.

His salary is also a concern.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'd really like to get ROR, however i don't want to move futures and prospects for him. If the Avs wanted Dion i'd pull tge trigger on a heartbeat.

His salary is also a concern.

yeah, but once its dion the conversation changes to why wouldn't they just pay ROR

Gardiner and Bozak?

91Kadri91*

ROR is going to going to UFA, it's really obviously. Trading assets for ROR is a really stupid idea imo

That list was made a year ago when the team had a different direction and it has the look of him putting teams on that had a slim chance of being traded to to avoid being traded altogether.

Now that the team is rebuilding I'd bet he'd agree to be traded just about anyway. I think he came out and said recently he'd go where the team wants him to go.

And how do you go from the Avs need more defense to trying to trade them another winger? I get JVR is more defensive than Kessel but it's still not a defenseman.

He's really not.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Really? That's seems a little surprising.

Why did he and his agent bother putting a NMC into his current contract then?

Kessel doesn't care at all where he ends up? He'll leave it to the Leafs to decide?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Kessel doesn't care at all where he ends up? He'll leave it to the Leafs to decide?

it was near the end of the season. it was like. "I like Toronto and that's why I signed but I'll go where they want me. if it's not here, it's not here."

this is going to be very interesting and I can see this looking v. similar to the Sundin situation. if he blocks a trade...:dunno:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
it was near the end of the season. it was like. "I like Toronto and that's why I signed but I'll go where they want me. if it's not here, it's not here."

this is going to be very interesting and I can see this looking v. similar to the Sundin situation. if he blocks a trade...:dunno:

If that happens hopefully they keep it to themselves.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Thanks for posting this. This sounds like the typical player cliche.

Phil can obviously do whatever he wants, and who can really know what is going on his mind?

Saying he does not care at all seems a little too much like "cheque is in the mail" to me though.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
4th and Bernier for Leon Draisaitl, 16th (Gurianov) and 33rd (Samsonov)
JVR for 6th (Provorov)
Kadri and 24th for Semin and 5th (Marner)
Pits 2nd round pick 2016 for Mike Richards and 13th overall (Werenski)
Phaneuf for Weiss, Mantha and 19th overall (Bitner)
Kessel for Vanek, Dumba and 2016 1st round pick

Vanek - Bozak- Semin
Lupul - Weiss - Panik
Komarov - Richards - Holland

Reilly - Dumba
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - Robidas

But in a couple of years after we move Vanek (50%) Semin (50%) Lupul, Bozak, Polak, Robidas, Panik, Holland and Weiss (50%) for some picks after they up there values due to playing time and PP time we will have a great core going forward. AND I AM DREAM ING OF SIGNING STAMKOS.

MANTHA - STAMKOS - MARNER
NYLANDER - DRAISAITL - GURIANOV
KOMAROV - MATTHEWS OR BROWN - C.BROWN
FRATTIN - RICHARDS - BITTNER

RIELLY - WERENSKI
PROVOROV - DUMBA
GARDINER - PERCY

A GUY CAN DREAM.RIGHT

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

First of all, an NMC is often a trade-off for taking a little less money. I think it's also a bit of a status symbol.

Second, just because at the time of the contract signing he might be willing to go anywhere in the league, that might not always be the case over the eight years of the contract. What if a team becomes a real horrible place to play? In that case, Kessel might want to have the control to be able to not be traded there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
yeah, but once its dion the conversation changes to why wouldn't they just pay ROR

Gardiner and Bozak?

The more I think about it, I suspect the Avs want to shed salary with a ROR trade, which would mix Dion and I don't think moving Gardiner AND another roster player would work for them.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
My thinking is the AVS have good centre depth ROR, Duchene and MacKinnon and might need more help on the wings.

I'd like to figure out how to make it a bigger trade where we get the #10 and give them #24.

ROR + #10 + ? for JVR + 24th + Gardiner etc.

I like the idea of adding ROR but not at the price of our 24th pick. We should leverage the situation to get the 10th back without giving up 24th.

If ROR is our #2 center, then we need to trade Kadri over JVR imo.

However, if we go Hanafin at #4, then perhaps you keep ROR/Kadri and JVR is your moving piece.

My bet is our big deal(s) are going to happen on the trading floor, AFTER Arizona makes the #3 pick. Once the Leafs know 100% who is there at #4, we make the big moves.

KingHoglund

Jun 16, 2015
Kessel to Minnesota

Could you see the Leafs moving Kessel to Minnesota with Vanek coming back as part of the package to off set the cap hit? Vanek only has 2 more years on his deal @ 6.5 per.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The expectation for some is that we'll have at least five 1st rounders it seems. :popcorn:

I love that article on PPP though about how good the 2016 draft is shaping up, and how Shanny should start stockpiling those before others catch on.

It's true - you just finnish spending the whole year focused on the 2015 draft class - you get attached to them. The detailed focus hasn't shifted yet to the 2016 class, and while the scouts are aware of them, the value is lower than the immediate 2015 picks.

I can't find the link - but it was a fun read.

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I doubt it will happen but they are the only team on Kessel's list that has a semi-realistic chance to get him if they want him. They certainly have the young assets to get a deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad