GDT: Free Agent/Trade Extravaganza 2017: The Shattening II

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
How do these signings make us as a franchise better? Seems odd. Gibbons was on Albany last year, so at least that makes some sense for them, but not sure he really needed an NHL contract to play on Bingo.

Radulov would be a good addition despite the baggage. I don't expect him to sign here. So there's really nobody I personally wanted during this cycle other than Shattenkirk at a reasonable term. This was a relatively weak (old) FA class.

Trades are not out of the question but our asset pool isn't as strong as I'd like.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
its the only way to find a real #1 dman... #1 dmen don't get traded or to free agency thats why shattenkirk isn't a number 1

Good thing the lottery's such a equal system even bad teams have less than a 1/5 chance of actually getting the top pick.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You guys don't understand how bad at hockey strait is

Why does anyone care about an AHL signing? If this guy plays a minute at the NHL level this year either Shero and Hynes are horrid talent evaluators or the tank's on.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The guy the Devils need to sign right now is Andrei Markov. Two years at $9-$10 million should do it. He would immediately become the best D in NJ, is good both ways. If the Devils are out of the race at the trade deadline, Markov would be worth a 2nd & 3rd to a contender, at least.

Radulov also makes sense, but only if he will take shorter term. The Devils essentially have nothing for middle 6 RW (unless Kovalchuk sticks), and that needs to be addressed, as well.

As it stands, this is the 2017-18 line-up:

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Zacha-Henrique-McLeod
Quenneville-Hischier-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Speers

Greene-Severson
Moore-Santini
Mueller-Lovejoy

Schneider
Kinkaid

Even if all the young Fs in this scenario work out, you can't make the playoffs in today's NHL with that blueline. Basically you have three mid-pairing D in Greene, Severson & Santini and three #6/#7 D.

I keep hearing that Shero is trying to turn either Kovalchuk or Henrique into the top-two D the Devils are desperate for, but the clock is ticking.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Lol how is this team worse off than last year? They are going to be giving Nico and McLeod a shot.

And what did you want Shero to do? Just throw money around at who ever just to land someone?

I said they are worse than a week ago. And they are, because Boyle is no improvement over Bennett and the costs three times as much. Even Cammalleri has a chance to have another decent season. Why not keep Cammi for another year? So we are going to play with a bunch of 20 year olds? Wow, that will be interesting. There were a few good FAs available and Shero didn't get any of them.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I said they are worse than a week ago. And they are, because Boyle is no improvement over Bennett and the costs three times as much. Even Cammalleri has a chance to have another decent season. Why not keep Cammi for another year? So we are going to play with a bunch of 20 year olds? Wow, that will be interesting. There were a few good FAs available and Shero didn't get any of them.

Newark zip code as a user name. Clever.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

I do not think Boyle is no improvement over Bennett. He's a center, which is a more valuable position, and he's shown he can handle the position we need him for. Bennett didn't do that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Apparently Jacob Josefson is close to a deal with Buffalo

HAHAHAHAHA

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Brian Boyle is going to play center on the 4th line

Beau Bennett is a middle 6 RW

what do the two have to do with each other, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad