GDT: Free Agent/Trade Extravaganza 2017 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
One trade and the tide has shifted from just this afternoon when Shero had no idea what he was doing. The sky was falling. Now we want to run Henrique out of town and trade a 1st? My gawd..

Let's just see how Shero does with the Kovalchuk nonsense and see where things are after that.

I like everything Shero has done so far this offseason, and my confidence in him and his staff continues to grow.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I think they should target Hannifin. Really young, great skater, big body (though he doesn't play very physical), can move the puck. Made some good strides last year.

For what though?

Carolina's left side is strong as it stands. Aho, Skinner, and Teuvo. The only piece that I could even slightly see working is Zacha and I can't see them playing him in the middle either being they have Staal, Rask, and Lindholm there. Henrique for Hanifin is not good value for them.

I don't think there's a match with Carolina.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
One trade and the tide has shifted from just this afternoon when Shero had no idea what he was doing. The sky was falling. Now we want to run Henrique out of town and trade a 1st? My gawd..

Let's just see how Shero does with the Kovalchuk nonsense and see where things are after that.

I like everything Shero has done so far this offseason, and my confidence in him and his staff continues to grow.

First round picks are valuable because they're potentially good young players...If you can get the right good young player at the right position...Why not? And Henrique for D is just logical, that shouldn't confuse you.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Thing is who is available on D?

In my eyes the likely candidates are:

Columbus: Ryan Murray
Florida: Jason Demers, potentially Alex Petrovic or Mark Pysyk
Los Angeles: Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez
San Jose: Brendan Dillon
Las Vegas: Nate Schmidt, Brayden McNabb

Everyone has a price though, i'm sure if we go looking for a deal we can find an upgrade.

Look at Arizona with Hjalmarsson, sometimes players you don't expect to become available suddenly are for the right deal, perhaps Kovalchuk can be our savior if a team heavily values his potential contribution :laugh:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

a lot of us have wanted this with our without marjo for a while. not because we hate rico at all, but because he's someone we've seen as expendable/has value. we NEED to bolster the defense, and he's a logical choice

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If we can't get D I wouldn't mind flipping Rico for RW help.

I'm pretty certain Johansson will end up playing there for us, I know he's a left handed shot but the guy is amazingly versatile, he can handle second line RW responsibilities without it diminishing his game or being a liability.

Palmieri, Johansson, Noesen & Speers will probably be our right wingers to start the season, that's a solid group.

Plus we've got some pretty nice depth in the pipeline with Anderson, Bastian, Popugaev & Zetterlund too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think it's a little more obvious right now that goal is not to tank this season.. it most definitely wasn't a few hours ago.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
First round picks are valuable because they're potentially good young players...If you can get the right good young player at the right position...Why not? And Henrique for D is just logical, that shouldn't confuse you.

Oh I totally agree with the idea of trading the 1st for good young player, I'd prefer it for the most part. I look at as speeding up the rebuilding stage. I'm just saying it's a funny twist from just this afternoon where it seemed like half the board was going after Shero so quickly.

And, I guess I'm not that interested in trading Henrique right now. For one I don't see him bringing back a significant Dman that would justify a trade. Dmen being so valuable in the market lately, I don't like that move. Maybe a package to get a legitimate top pairing guy, but who's out there and what team would make that move?

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
I think it's a little more obvious right now that goal is not to tank this season.. it most definitely wasn't a few hours ago.

I don't think tanking was ever a consideration. I think patience is and was, however.

Releasing the team of deadweight didn't lead me to believe Shero was at any point "tanking"

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Something around Kovalchuk for Demers could be interesting.

I don't think it would take Kovalchuk to get Demers, they desperately want to shed his contract because of their internal cap (I heard they've only been approved $65 million in payroll for next season).

They're already pretty comfortable at RHD with Ekblad, Pysyk & Petrovic, we could probably pick up Demers for next to nothing.

I'd offer them Lovejoy & a pick for him, they get some cap savings (plus Lovejoy has significantly less term on his deal than Demers) and we get an upgrade at RHD.

Then if we could turn Kovalchuk into some LHD help suddenly our defence isn't such a huge liability anymore.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Kudos to everyone around here with patience. Better than me!

I was flipping out yesterday about how Shero didn't use any draft picks for trades and only got Boyle in free agency.... then he goes ahead and trades two picks (not even ours!!!!) for a skilled young winger... I am eating my words. This is the Palmieri trade all over again.

Now we need some D help and still a right winger (Kovalchuk? haha)

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
you know what, i'm thinking we will fill the rest of the spots w rookies. the prospects don't have value just yet, other than zacha. try a few rookies out and see what sticks and then fix the rest of the team (RW, D) next offseason

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
you know what, i'm thinking we will fill the rest of the spots w rookies. the prospects don't have value just yet, other than zacha. try a few rookies out and see what sticks and then fix the rest of the team (RW, D) next offseason

Forwards I agree... but really need defense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think tanking was ever a consideration. I think patience is and was, however.

Releasing the team of deadweight didn't lead me to believe Shero was at any point "tanking"

It looked very much like a tank last season. And we saw nothing from December last year up until today to really indicate we were trying to get better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Keep the good vibes going and trade Kovy this holiday.

That'd be a lot better than what happened July 4 five years ago.

Maybe in an ironic twist this holiday weekend is when we finally get out of the black hole this organization's been in since that one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We did go into a soft tank for the second half of the season. Pretty much what you call just playing kids and shipping the spare parts out.

We stopped playing Cory a lot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad