Free Agent Frenzy 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
His last shot at big money. Players always go with the money.

Not all. Just two days ago Steven Stamkos took couple millions/season less and stayed Tampa. Also Martin had bigger contract in front of him last summer but he chose us.

But yeah usually players go with the money. Like Lucic will :laugh:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I could see Liles working. If they sign anybody significant then they're really gonna block Heed and Demelo.

Well, not just that. It forces us to go from protecting 7F, 3D to 8 Skaters because we will need to protect Burns, Braun, Vlasic and XX. I think we have more flexibility to sign a top-6 F and protect him than a D. Which is why, I think the likelyhood that we sign Eriksson, Okposo, etc. is higher than get a good D via FA or a trade.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not all. Just two days ago Steven Stamkos took couple millions/season less and stayed Tampa. Also Martin had bigger contract in front of him last summer but he chose us.

But yeah usually players go with the money. Like Lucic will :laugh:

Florida has no state tax. He got the full 8 year term. He will make more money with his endorsements and salary in south Florida. He has smart people around him.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Florida has no state tax. He got the full 8 year term. He will make more money with his endorsements and salary in south Florida. He has smart people around him.

That is true but rumours said that Buffalo offered almost 12-million/season contract and at Toronto he would've get some endorsement deals what he could not get at Tampa.

Btw Radulov signed with Montreal :amazed: At least some reporters said so.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That is true but rumours said that Buffalo offered almost 12-million/season contract and at Toronto he would've get some endorsement deals what he could not get at Tampa.

Btw Radulov signed with Montreal :amazed: At least some reporters said so.

Taxes in Canada and New York are crazy. He made the right decision financially and for his playing career.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
My hopes for the day are forward wise, in this order: Ericsson, Vrbata, Hudler, Boedker. Those are the guys I think we can maybe afford, and who will actually improve the team (not by a ton).

Defense wise it's pretty slim pickings. My fantasy scenario is they find a way to trade for Barrie. Realistically though it's probably Liles, and I'm not too stoked about that, I'd probably just bide my time and look for a trade for someone better. Demers will be too expensive.

Goalie wise I want Reimer back, but barring that I really don't care, Montoya is fine, but really there isn't anyone available worth caring about.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My hopes for the day are forward wise, in this order: Ericsson, Vrbata, Hudler, Boedker. Those are the guys I think we can maybe afford, and who will actually improve the team (not by a ton).

Defense wise it's pretty slim pickings. My fantasy scenario is they find a way to trade for Barrie. Realistically though it's probably Liles, and I'm not too stoked about that, I'd probably just bide my time and look for a trade for someone better. Demers will be too expensive.

Goalie wise I want Reimer back, but barring that I really don't care, Montoya is fine, but really there isn't anyone available worth caring about.

The way things are looking now, I am fairly confident we get a F. I don't think we are going to really be able to get a D that is worth keeping more than a year.

BTW, would you add Nielsen to that list, now that he appears to be heading to FA as well?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lucic reportedly wants term on this contract and that is the dreaded bane to DW's existence so I don't think we have to worry about signing Lucic. He's a productive player but not much of an impact player anymore.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The way things are looking now, I am fairly confident we get a F. I don't think we are going to really be able to get a D that is worth keeping more than a year.

BTW, would you add Nielsen to that list, now that he appears to be heading to FA as well?

Yah. I thought he was going to re-sign, but if not, then yah.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And Okposo seems to want 49M over 7 years. That is ridiculous.

Okposo definitely deserves to get paid. He's been very productive the past three years but how much of that is Tavares will be the issue with him and 7x7 deal is way above his production level but when you shoot for the stars you may get the moon. lol

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Hearing Lebrun say that the Sharks are looking for a puck moving defenseman who plays both sides makes me wonder if Dillon is on the block.

Do we think this is in free agency or via trade? Besides possibly liles is there anyone available as a FA that fits that description?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Okposo definitely deserves to get paid. He's been very productive the past three years but how much of that is Tavares will be the issue with him and 7x7 deal is way above his production level but when you shoot for the stars you may get the moon. lol

Oh no doubt he needs to get paid, but I have the same question as you. How much of it was Tavares? Also, its not like he has been a PPG player or something. 69 points and 27G is the best he has done. And that is with Tavares.

I would be cautious paying him anything over 6M AAV.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh no doubt he needs to get paid, but I have the same question as you. How much of it was Tavares? Also, its not like he has been a PPG player or something. 69 points and 27G is the best he has done. And that is with Tavares.

I would be cautious paying him anything over 6M AAV.

Yeah but that production generally gets paid pretty well in UFA. I don't think the Sharks will have much interest in him with who they have on the RW but I wouldn't expect him to decline much even if you give him the max 7 years. He's relatively consistent as long as you put him with a good playmaker.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So will DW do anything more than sit in his tanning bed today?

I wouldn't be surprised at an early backup goalie signing but I'm not expecting anything up front right now. I'm hoping that he trades Wingels to Carolina since they're looking for a top 9 player and Wingels deserves an opportunity at solidifying that type of role.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
I wouldn't be surprised at an early backup goalie signing but I'm not expecting anything up front right now. I'm hoping that he trades Wingels to Carolina since they're looking for a top 9 player and Wingels deserves an opportunity at solidifying that type of role.

in exchange for who in your mind?

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
So will DW do anything more than sit in his tanning bed today?

I'd imagine he'll have to turn over from time to time. Seriously though, probably a lot of kicking tires unless something drops in his lap. Maybe someone really wants to win and surprises him with cost.

You got to figure anything short of an overpay today, is a good deal (depending on the player of course).

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Do we think this is in free agency or via trade? Besides possibly liles is there anyone available as a FA that fits that description?

Probably free agency and probably a 1 year deal for someone. We can only protect Vlasic, Braun and Burns going into the expansion draft. Unless they use Braun to acquire someone like Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad