GDT: Free Agency 2023

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I know we are up against the cap. I know it’s better to not spend poorly in UFA.

But shouldn’t we be taking some flyers on a reclamation project or two? Shouldn’t we be acquiring bodies to fill out our roster after we move Hanifin, Lindholm, Backlund et al? Shouldn’t we be moving those players before there are no more dance partners?

It’s making me nervous that we are going to run it back with essentially the same roster and worse yet, walk more UFAs out the door without returning assets!!

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpeg
    IMG_3036.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I know we are up against the cap. I know it’s better to not spend poorly in UFA.

But shouldn’t we be taking some flyers on a reclamation project or two? Shouldn’t we be acquiring bodies to fill out our roster after we move Hanifin, Lindholm, Backlund et al? Shouldn’t we be moving those players before there are no more dance partners?

It’s making me nervous that we are going to run it back with essentially the same roster and worse yet, walk more UFAs out the door without returning assets!!
I'm good with it. Conroy is telling Murray Edwards one thing but secretly planning...

tank-m60t.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I come in here and complain every July 1st.

Great job Conroy. Most contracts being handed out today are just awful. I’ve always said if you are going to overpay do it in AAV not term. The Orlov deal is great for the Canes. They are just run better than any other organization.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Cart before the horse.

There is no guarantee that Hanifin, Lindholm, and Backlund will be moved this summer.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Cart before the horse.

There is no guarantee that Hanifin, Lindholm, and Backlund will be moved this summer.
I was hoping we could trade those guys and get a high 2023 draft pick in return but now that that is over I have no problem with Conroy taking his time to get the best deal. Even if we have to go into the 2023 season with some or all of these guys.. so be it. As long as they're gone by the TDL if we aren't resigning them and I hope we aren't. Blow it up I say. Get as many draft picks as you can and rebuild.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
List of all official signings per cap friendly

CLUB
PLAYER
POS
YEAR(S)
CAP HIT
ANA​
Alex Killorn​
RW, LW​
4​
$6,250,000​
ANA​
Radko Gudas​
RD​
3​
$4,000,000​
ARI​
Alexander Kerfoot​
LW, RW​
2​
$3,500,000​
ARI​
Nick Bjugstad​
C, RW​
2​
$2,100,000​
ARI​
Jason Zucker​
LW, RW​
1​
$5,300,000​
ARI​
Troy Stecher​
RD​
1​
$1,100,000​
BOS​
Kevin Shattenkirk​
RD​
1​
$1,050,000​
BOS​
Morgan Geekie​
C, RW​
2​
$2,000,000​
BOS​
Patrick Brown​
C, RW​
2​
$800,000​
BOS​
James van Riemsdyk​
LW, RW​
1​
$1,000,000​
BUF​
Connor Clifton​
RD​
3​
$3,333,333​
BUF​
Tyson Jost​
C​
1​
$2,000,000​
CAR​
Antti Raanta​
G​
1​
$1,500,000​
CAR​
Dmitry Orlov​
LD​
2​
$7,750,000​
CAR​
Jesper Fast​
RW​
2​
$2,400,000​
CAR​
Frederik Andersen​
G​
2​
$3,400,000​
CAR​
Michael Bunting​
LW​
3​
$4,500,000​
CHI​
Ryan Donato​
LW, C​
2​
$2,000,000​
COL​
Jonathan Drouin​
C, LW​
1​
$825,000​
COL​
Miles Wood​
LW​
6​
$2,500,000​
DAL​
Sam Steel​
C, LW​
1​
$850,000​
DAL​
Matt Duchene​
RW, C​
1​
$3,000,000​
DAL​
Joel Hanley​
LD/RD​
2​
$787,500​
DET​
Shayne Gostisbehere​
LD/RD​
1​
$4,125,000​
DET​
J.T. Compher​
C, RW​
5​
$5,100,000​
DET​
Alex Lyon​
G​
2​
$900,000​
DET​
Daniel Sprong​
RW, LW​
1​
$2,000,000​
DET​
Justin Holl​
RD​
3​
$3,400,000​
DET​
Gustav Lindström​
RD​
1​
$950,000​
DET​
Klim Kostin​
LW, RW​
2​
$2,000,000​
EDM​
Connor Brown​
RW, LW​
1​
$775,000​
EDM​
Lane Pederson​
C​
2​
$775,000​
FLA​
Anthony Stolarz​
G​
1​
$1,100,000​
FLA​
Oliver Ekman-Larsson​
LD​
1​
$2,250,000​
FLA​
Niko Mikkola​
LD​
3​
$2,500,000​
FLA​
Dmitry Kulikov​
LD/RD​
1​
$1,000,000​
FLA​
Mike Reilly​
LD​
1​
$1,000,000​
FLA​
Kevin Stenlund​
C, RW​
1​
$1,000,000​
LAK​
David Rittich​
G​
1​
$875,000​
LAK​
Jaret Anderson-Dolan​
C, LW, RW​
1​
$775,000​
LAK​
Andreas Englund​
LD​
2​
$1,000,000​
NJD​
Nathan Bastian​
RW, C​
2​
$1,350,000​
NJD​
Michael McLeod​
C​
1​
$1,400,000​
NSH​
Luke Schenn​
RD​
3​
$2,750,000​
NSH​
Gustav Nyquist​
LW, RW​
2​
$3,185,000​
NSH​
Ryan O'Reilly​
C​
4​
$4,500,000​
NYI​
Pierre Engvall​
RW, LW​
7​
$3,000,000​
NYI​
Scott Mayfield​
RD​
7​
$3,500,000​
NYI​
Ilya Sorokin​
G​
8​
$8,250,000​
NYR​
Erik Gustafsson​
LD​
1​
$825,000​
NYR​
Tyler Pitlick​
RW​
1​
$787,500​
NYR​
Riley Nash​
C, RW​
2​
$775,000​
OTT​
Joonas Korpisalo​
G​
5​
$4,000,000​
PHI​
Ryan Poehling​
LW, C​
1​
$1,400,000​
PIT​
Ryan Graves​
LD​
6​
$4,500,000​
PIT​
Lars Eller​
C​
2​
$2,450,000​
PIT​
Tristan Jarry​
G​
5​
$5,375,000​
PIT​
Alex Nedeljkovic​
G​
1​
$1,500,000​
PIT​
Noel Acciari​
C, RW​
3​
$2,000,000​
PIT​
Matt Nieto​
LW, RW​
2​
$900,000​
SEA​
Brian Dumoulin​
LD​
2​
$3,150,000​
SJS​
Kyle Burroughs​
LD/RD​
3​
$1,100,000​
SJS​
Givani Smith​
LW, RW​
2​
$800,000​
SJS​
Mackenzie Blackwood​
G​
2​
$2,350,000​
STL​
Mackenzie MacEachern​
LW, RW​
2​
$775,000​
TBL​
Jonas Johansson​
G​
2​
$775,000​
TBL​
Luke Glendening​
C, RW, LW​
2​
$800,000​
TBL​
Josh Archibald​
RW, LW​
2​
$800,000​
TBL​
Conor Sheary​
LW, RW​
3​
$2,000,000​
TOR​
John Klingberg​
RD​
1​
$4,150,000​
VAN​
Ian Cole​
LD/RD​
1​
$3,000,000​
VAN​
Carson Soucy​
LD/RD​
3​
$3,250,000​
VAN​
Teddy Blueger​
C, LW​
1​
$1,900,000​
WPG​
Jeffrey Viel​
LW​
1​
$775,000​
WPG​
Laurent Brossoit​
G​
1​
$1,750,000​
WPG​
Vladislav Namestnikov​
LW, RW, C​
2​
$2,000,000​
WPG​
Collin Delia​
G​
1​
$775,000​
WSH​
Max Pacioretty​
LW​
1​
$2,000,000​

Reactions: Boomstick

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Cart before the horse.

The longer we hold them, the more it scares me. Imagine a hot streak to start the season and ownership wants to operate under the belief everyone will want to stick around with a winning team…

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not going to crap on Conroy for not getting some of the million or less players because I don't think any of them would have come here. Anyone making 775k to one million would probably rather get that on any American team over us

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The longer we hold them, the more it scares me. Imagine a hot streak to start the season and ownership wants to operate under the belief everyone will want to stick around with a winning team…
Conroy has stated his aim was to re-sign Lindholm for sure and Backlund. I don't have any problem with that.

If the negotiations take a while I am fine with that as well.

And it wouldn't bother me one iota if Hanifin decided to stay and re-sign as well.

We missed the play-offs by 3 points. A team that we had one more point on went to the SC finals. Our entire 4th line will nor be back and it looks like at least 3 rookie/sophomores will make the team. Maybe more.

We have to keep our powder dry and not hit the panic button.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not going to crap on Conroy for not getting some of the million or less players because I don't think any of them would have come here. Anyone making 775k to one million would probably rather get that on any American team over us

He is cleaning the mess left by the wizard

He is the victim

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
it speaks volumes that even after trading away rhs rw toffoli, and not signing any mercenaries, Matthew Phillips is still so distrustful of the Flames org on giving him a legit chance that he hasn't signed yet. This whole offseason was basically blowing the doors for Coronato and Phillips wide open

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
it speaks volumes that even after trading away rhs rw toffoli, and not signing any mercenaries, Matthew Phillips is still so distrustful of the Flames org on giving him a legit chance that he hasn't signed yet. This whole offseason was basically blowing the doors for Coronato and Phillips wide open
Coronato, Pelletier and Zary should be feeling very good.

Toffoli is out, but Sharangoalvich is in, so not really a difference in numbers as far as middle six/top six forwards. The fourth line hasn't been stuffed full of meat n' potatoes though, so there is flexibility with the roster.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

We don't know what we will be getting back so we can't plan on filling in the holes.

Honestly leaving gaps for rookies and not getting the usual brutal bad deal is a massive win in my books

Reactions: InfinityIggy

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Conroy has stated his aim was to re-sign Lindholm for sure and Backlund. I don't have any problem with that.

If the negotiations take a while I am fine with that as well.

And it wouldn't bother me one iota if Hanifin decided to stay and re-sign as well.

We missed the play-offs by 3 points. A team that we had one more point on went to the SC finals. Our entire 4th line will nor be back and it looks like at least 3 rookie/sophomores will make the team. Maybe more.

We have to keep our powder dry and not hit the panic button.
I don’t get why you absolutely love mediocrity. You realize that we have 0 elite talent, right? If you wanna argue Huberdeau is elite, we have 1 borderline elite guy who is 30. If we bring all those guys back and don’t sell any of them for futures we’ll just continue being mediocre. That would be legit worst case scenario.

I love that Conroy did nothing today, but he didn’t have a choice with the mess Brad left him. But if he re-signs those guys and doesn’t sell any of them we are screwed lol.

Citing Florida is funny - they have an elite 1C, an elite 1D, not to mention Tkachuk. We aren’t even close. Name another cup winner without both a 1C and 1D.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t get why you absolutely love mediocrity. You realize that we have 0 elite talent, right? If you wanna argue Huberdeau is elite, we have 1 borderline elite guy who is 30. If we bring all those guys back and don’t sell any of them for futures we’ll just continue being mediocre. That would be legit worst case scenario.

I love that Conroy did nothing today, but he didn’t have a choice with the mess Brad left him. But if he re-signs those guys and doesn’t sell any of them we are screwed lol.

Citing Florida is funny - they have an elite 1C, an elite 1D, not to mention Tkachuk. We aren’t even close. Name another cup winner without both a 1C and 1D.
I love my team and I love it when they compete. We missed by 3 points and yes the season was disappointing for so many reasons. That may be average, but not mediocre.

I can cheer for average (most teams are) with the hope they can make the play-offs and do well. With better goaltending last year and a better PP we most likely would have made the play-offs.

We have a number of good players that should be re-signed if possible. While not elite according to your definition they are top notch and bring value, albeit not necessarily to their salary level.

We have not re-signed our own UFA's and will incorporate graduates from the farm this season. Too much change in a single season is a recipe for disaster.

Recall that we have undergone huge changes since the 2021 expansion draft that we are still regrouping from.

Last edited:

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I love my team and I love it when they compete. We missed by 3 points and yes the season was disappointing for so many reasons. That may be average, but not mediocre.

I can cheer for average (mos teams are) with the hope they can make the play-offs and do well. With better goaltending last year and a better PP we most likely would have made the play-offs.

We have a number of good players that should be re-signed if possible. While not elite according to your definition they are top notch and bring value, albeit not necessarily to their salary level.

We have not re-signed our own UFA's and will incorporate graduates from the farm this season. Too much change in a single season is a recipe for disaster.
I will definitely cheer for us either way too, I just mean ideally wouldn’t you prefer to build to be a contender in the future instead of just hoping we sneak into the playoffs every year with no significant long-term upside? At the expense of a few guys that might not even wanna be here? Like why would we want to re-sign older guys when we know we still have a decent core and could re-tool quite quickly if we get younger and accumulate picks.

I don’t hate Lindy or Backs at all, I definitely love them too, but it would be a smart long-term move to trade them for futures and try to find that elite talent we need as opposed to trying over and over again with a meh roster. I don’t see how keeping them is the better move (especially if they don’t wanna be here) because playoffs next season is not nearly as important as being a real contender 3-5 years down the road
Recall that we have undergone huge changes since the 2021 expansion draft that we are still regrouping from.
But we are way past that. We got forced into these massive changes by poor management decisions and players wanting out. We are already at the point of disaster with Backs and Hanifin and Toffoli wanting out a season after Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanted out. Time to stop trying to salvage the sinking ship and start building a new one with the best parts of the old ship that still wanna be here and are young enough to survive a 2-3 year re-tool

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Majority of your key players want out or already out

Most of the one that want to be here are because they can’t leave

Zadorov is the only one that really want to be in Calgary. Yes, Kadri signed but that’s because nobody wants or can afford to give him that contract at 32 except for the wizard

If it’s not time to rebuild then we will never rebuild in this lifetime

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Reply to Rasmus

We have been building a contender or shall I say were building a contender. Boring hockey yes and perhaps not enough new blood infused to the organization.

Again, if we had had normal outputs from the existing roster prior to losing Gaudreau and Tkachuk and reasonable outputs from the new players, a lot of this angst from fans wouldn't be happening.

Replacing the output of two elite players is very difficult and on paper the assets we picked up should have gone a long way to doing that. These assets also have the expectation that the organization is trying to win and will get the right supporting cast to do just that.

First order of business for Conroy is to determine if our pending UFA's that publicly hinted that they want to leave still feel the same way after having some time to decompress. If they do want to leave the organization then find the opportune time to trade them and for value. No fire sales just because.

If they have had a change of heart, re-sign them, but on the team's terms. Meaning if we can afford you and for a term that works for the team. If you want more, toodle-loo.

Worst case scenario (best case for some) is that we go into the season with the existing roster and a few newbies and lose horribly to get into the lottery discussion. Then, as the season progresses, trade these guys out for picks and/or salary dumps.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Like why would we want to re-sign older guys when we know we still have a decent core and could re-tool quite quickly if we get younger and accumulate picks.
because playoffs next season is not nearly as important as being a real contender 3-5 years down the road
The magical "contender in 3-5 years." The phrase "kicking the can down the road" gets used a lot around here too. Accumulating lottery tickets and not competing now is essentially the same as retaining the core now and hoping some of the draft picks of 2021-2023 turn into a star. How do you figure anything they do now guarantees they're a "real contender" 3-5 years from now?

That said, Conroy has an opportunity now, with all these guys waffling, to actually do the retool you want, if it comes to it. It's just not necessarily better than keeping Lindholm and Backlund while bringing a long the prospects who are actually NHL material.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad