Speculation: Freddy to Canes for Pesce and Reims

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It also had absolutely nothing to do with saving "real" money, we paid the first to save 6+ on the cap.
Definitely. I was just correcting the fact that Marleau was traded before the bonus was paid, which he had to be as the buyout window ends before July 1st.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not this year Canes think they are very close and tending held them back ... and they are reducing payroll in a big way ... Freddy gives them a better goalie for 1M per ... add 1M and reduce 7.5M next season in real cash savings ... all other goalies options are a ton of $$$ and Canes owner does not want to foot a big bill

If Canes trade the Leafs Pesce for Leafs 1st (15th OA) and Dermott (RFA) they can really save some money without a $5 mil cap hit for Andersen for 1 year rental. :)

Maybe you could combine your idea of Andersen + 1st in 2020 + Dermott/Liljegren for Pesce and Reimer.

Andersen ($5 mil) + 1st + Dermott (RFA to resign ~1.25 mil ) IN for Pesce ($4,025,000) + Reimer ($3,400,000) OUT saves them money.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If Canes trade the Leafs Pesce for Leafs 1st (15th OA) and Dermott (RFA) they can really save some money without a $5 mil cap hit for Andersen for 1 year rental. :)
They are saving money by taking Andersen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It has nothing to do with CAP hit for Canes ... it is about real hard earned $$$ ... looking to get to under 60M real $$$ so 9M to go ... this would get them 6.5M on way there ... hard to do and still keep team competing so look for guys who have already been paid and they can get for cheap

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If it were a re-build season with no expectations for playoff success then there would be absolutely nothing wrong with bringing in a solid individual like Reimer. But winning is a priority, so Reimer would have to be flipped elsewhere. I'd leave that for Carolina to do after they acquire Andersen. Here's my amendment to the trade:

Andersen, Johnsson ($2.53M per season actual money)
for
Pesce (25% retained), 2020 2nd, a forward prospect

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I'm highly skeptical of this "rumour" as it makes no sense for the Canes.

Why wouldn't they just sign a decent and cheap UFA goalie as a short term solution, then draft Askarov with our pick at #13 (assuming he's still on the board)?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Why wouldn't they just sign a decent and cheap UFA goalie as a short term solution, then draft Askarov with our pick at #13 (assuming he's still on the board)?

Money. Paying Andersen 1million or a guy like Holtby 4million.

Might make sense to just give up an asset to get 3m in savings.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Money. Paying Andersen 1million or a guy like Holtby 4million.

Might make sense to just give up an asset to get 3m in savings.
With there being a lot of UFA goalies available, surely they could get one for $2M and move a body or two to save a few bucks and not have to move assets.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

How do you get from 69M payroll to 60M payroll? It is not by signing UFA players ... unless they are in your core ... unless you pick up good players who are already paid out so you get CAP benefit to hit floor and real salary outtake benefit

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Paying $1.0 million for an upgrade at the number one goalie position in real cash, with the chance to re-sign him. Andersen was originally drafted by Carolina but didn’t sign because he thought he would be blocked professionally by Cam Ward back in the day. Wonder if any scouts from that era are still with the team.

I kind of like where this is going because it may be that the Canes wouldn’t entertain the idea of drafting and developing Askarov either with a solution like Andersen in the organization.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Paying $1.0 million for an upgrade at the number one goalie position in real cash, with the chance to re-sign him. Andersen was originally drafted by Carolina but didn’t sign because he thought he would be blocked professionally by Cam Ward back in the day. Wonder if any scouts from that era are still with the team.

I kind of like where this is going because it may be that the Canes wouldn’t entertain the idea of drafting and developing Askarov either with a solution like Andersen in the organization.
I heard that Sparks and Hutchinson are both UFA's this year.....:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It has nothing to do with CAP hit for Canes ... it is about real hard earned $$$ ... looking to get to under 60M real $$$ so 9M to go ... this would get them 6.5M on way there ... hard to do and still keep team competing so look for guys who have already been paid and they can get for cheap

What about Leafs keeping competitive in this scenario?

Hopefully Reimer is not our #1 goalie next year?

Reactions: Buds17

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What about Leafs keeping competitive in this scenario?

Hopefully Reimer is not our #1 goalie next year?
I can't be going to games next season as I don't want to catch COVID and there were quite a few of us who parked our seats and sponsorships next season ... but team will sell games in 10 and 20 pack combos and i am sure younger people can pick up da slack for next season ... or team can easily get a loan as it is owned by a corp and any bank can see da massive cash flow that comes every June except this past year ...maybe it will affect our Leafs but I seriously doubt it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How do you get from 69M payroll to 60M payroll? It is not by signing UFA players ... unless they are in your core ... unless you pick up good players who are already paid out so you get CAP benefit to hit floor and real salary outtake benefit

If you trade Pesce for a 1st and a young Dman you save $4 mil instantly by dealing for futures.

Andersen is due a $4 mil signing bonus first, and then $1 mil in real salary thereafter, and Reimer is due $2.25 mil signing bonus the same time Andersen is, then only owed $850k base and real money.

So if each team pays the signing bonus and then swaps [$4 mil - $2.25 mil] = $1.75 mil difference savings and then Andersen @$1 mil - Reimer @ $850k = +$250k.

So swapping Andersen for Reimer saves the Canes $1.5 mil in real $$$.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

does a decent and cheap tender move them closer to cup contention?

because they are closer to being one then we are

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Odd idea but they could split it into two trades, pay signing bonuses for both reimer and andersen and then trade andersen? LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad