Speculation: Freddy to Canes for Pesce and Reims

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'm not a Canes fan by any means but, even still, this post really doesn't make any sense (or at least isnt based in reality). Canes are 7th in GAA over the past 2 years and 10th over the past 3. Toronto, on the other hand, has hovered between 20th to 25th. I love Freddy Andersen, I think hes an above average starter and better than anyone the Canes have, but they are certainly making do.

If the Canes want to acquire Freddy (or a better impending UFA in Raanta), it won't take someone like Pesce. Not even close. On the other hand, if the Leafs want to add a top 3DMan with term, its going to cost a hell of a lot more than Andersen, and Andersen 100% will not be the main piece.

I agree the proposal is bad, but why are you here? This is the Leafs board, there are plenty of others to discuss this "rumor".

Reactions: Rob Brown

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If this happens we will see the value of that $4,00,000 they don’t have to pay freddy because of the signing bonus. I think this year i will be purchasing some new leafs gear and other stuff for the jids and i so they have the cash to keep doing this ha. I’m serious. I think it is a great time for me to do it.

I need a new jersey and a couple hats and t-shirts anyways

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
It’s Friedman on the score that suggested this
He never suggested a return of Pesce.
He mentioned Carolina May have interest in Freddie.

A lot of teams will though, Especially since he only makes 1million in actual money. (His cap hit is still 5mil) That will make him very attractive to cash strapped teams.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Its friedman that said it.
Friedman is a college fail/drop out who I would not have cleaning my XXXXXXC ... but hockey people are talking about Leafs floating Freddy and Canes interest ... Canes have told everyone they are reducing payroll significantly and want 2 kids defenders up ... Pesce is no guarantee to come back at full capacity so it would be a big risk to Leafs although could be a big reward too

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Friedman is a college fail/drop out who I would not have cleaning my XXXXXXC ... but hockey people are talking about Leafs floating Freddy and Canes interest ... Canes have told everyone they are reducing payroll significantly and want 2 kids defenders up ... Pesce is no guarantee to come back at full capacity so it would be a big risk to Leafs although could be a big reward too
Again, that’s speculation. If this idea of Pesce and Reimer are your creation, it should have Proposal in the title.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He never suggested a return of Pesce.
He mentioned Carolina May have interest in Freddie.

A lot of teams will though, Especially since he only makes 1million in actual money. (His cap hit is still 5mil) That will make him very attractive to cash strapped teams.
Yeah i know. I knew all about these signing bonuses everyone missed when they were undervaluing our players in trades. Before and after the Kappy trade.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Canes looking to reduce payroll and improve tending next year
Leafs looking for a right handed D to play with Rielly
Freddy only 1M next year with $5M CAP hit
Pesce 4 more years at $4M CAP hit but has injury recovery risk and they have deepest D core in league
Leafs get a long term deal for a solid top 4 2 way D man
Your thoughts?

The problem with this idea so many potential UFA goalies at Andersen level available ie

Jacob Markström, Robin Lehner, Braden Holtby, Thomas Greiss etc that why would Canes need to trade a top 4 dman like Pesce?

Canes would be interested in Leafs 1st rounder 15th overall to combine it with Leafs other former 13th overall to be included in any deal for Pesce. IMO

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not seeing it. Carolina has the blueline depth, but a number of others reach UFA status prior to Pesce. That aside, as much as this should help our blueline, it just then makes the goaltending situation more of a question mark. It adds cap here as well. It might make more sense if Andersen re-signs with them upon the trade. If Pesce is enough of a question mark though, I'm not sure what Toronto's intention is here.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The problem with this idea so many potential UFA goalies at Andersen level available ie

Jacob Markström, Robin Lehner, Braden Holtby, Thomas Greiss etc that why would Canes need to trade a top 4 dman like Pesce?

Canes would be interested in Leafs 1st rounder 15th overall to combine it with Leafs other former 13th overall to be included in any deal for Pesce. IMO
Not this year Canes think they are very close and tending held them back ... and they are reducing payroll in a big way ... Freddy gives them a better goalie for 1M per ... add 1M and reduce 7.5M next season in real cash savings ... all other goalies options are a ton of $$$ and Canes owner does not want to foot a big bill

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We paid a 1st for Carolina to eat 1.25m of Marleaus deal.

If we dealing Freddy to them and eating 4m for them, they better give us #13 back.
No, it was all of Marleau's deal including the bonus. $4.25 million.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
We paid a 1st for Carolina to eat 1.25m of Marleaus deal.

If we dealing Freddy to them and eating 4m for them, they better give us #13 back.

No, it was all of Marleau's deal including the bonus. $4.25 million.
It also had absolutely nothing to do with saving "real" money, we paid the first to save 6+ on the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad