Freddy "The Goat" Gauthier

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Gauthier reminds me of McCarron on the Habs. Big, can’t skate and most importantly, plays small. He has no jam, no physical presence.

I say that as a positive, because if Goat actually added a little nastiness, he would become a Babcock favorite. He needs to find that (while improving his skating) in the offseason.

Reactions: Kurtz

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Gauthier reminds me of McCarron on the Habs. Big, can’t skate and most importantly, plays small. He has no jam, no physical presence.

I say that as a positive, because if Goat actually added a little nastiness, he would become a Babcock favorite. He needs to find that (while improving his skating) in the offseason.

Plays small? gauthier has not played small at the NHL level... he’s been in fights and he’s absolutely skated through players.

He’s no lucic, but he’s no Jason Allison either in terms of physical play.

His offensive game is what stops him from being an nhl regular, not his lack of physical play.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Can't wait until the leafs package him off to somewhere this summer. He can join the rest of the failed 1st rounders from that era (Percy & Biggs).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The fact that Babcock would rather keep Moore on the roster (a player he clearly doesn’t like) than the Goat is pretty telling. Not to mention the Leafs trading a 2nd for another depth Centre.

Goats time in Toronto is coming to an end this summer most likely.

Reactions: iSophagus

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Polak has always been a good skater for a big guy, he struggled this year coming off surgery and no training but it's never been an issue with him.
Yes, I mentioned Polak's skating issues were a result of his surgery in my initial post. I'm wondering if Gauthier is being affected in the same way. It's been almost a year since Freddy was hurt and I'm curious if he his skating will pick up in the coming months. It seems that it has taken Roman a year to get his legs back, might it be the same for the Goat?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I dont agree with Zeke on maybe 3 or 4 things but mostly I do.
This one I agree with him as well. Gauthier isnt very good guys.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I thought the Goat did well this year. Bottom line, management favours players they have drafted over past players. Only 3 or4 possible players will remain in 1 years time from the Burke era. As early as next year, only Reilly will remain from Burke era on defense. I dont feel Gardiner is re-signed here. He will command a raise into the 6 million area. Dermott looks to me Top 4 worthy and his replacement. Forward group only Kadri, Brown, (maybe Johnnsson) will be remaining Burke era players. Sparks will be moved before Pickard for the same reason. Leivo also falls into this category and wasnt given great opportunity when in the line up, even succeeding and being scratched.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
At this point, there's really no reason to have any expectations on Gauthier. If he takes another step and can be a reliable #4C for us, that's as much as we can hope for. And it's a slim hope.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I had a co-worker detach a hamstring at work. He wouldn't of even been back to work by now, never mind playing hockey.

Reactions: Alerion

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Most teams carry 10 pro centres. Right now the Leafs have Matthews, Kadri and Brooks under contract next year.
No reason to think that Gauthier is going to tossed aside. Not saying he should ever expect big NHL minutes

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Most teams carry 10 pro centres. Right now the Leafs have Matthews, Kadri and Brooks under contract next year.
No reason to think that Gauthier is going to tossed aside. Not saying he should ever expect big NHL minutes
Will he sign an AHL deal though? I expect the Leafs to be active in the European market again, plus some prospects like Dzierkals, Engvall, Lindgren, Middleton, Grundstrom and Korshkov will need ELC's in order to stick around with the Marlies (Dzierkals may take an AHL deal). Gauthier's contract would be a waste of the 50 limit at this point.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Gauthier is done. He busted three years ago. I said at that time the only chance he had was to go to Orlando and learn to play defence. Boy did I ever catch it from the HFBoards "braintrust". He was a fourth line center bobbyorr dontchknow?

Idiots then, idiots now, idiots forever inviolate

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Will he sign an AHL deal though? I expect the Leafs to be active in the European market again, plus some prospects like Dzierkals, Engvall, Lindgren, Middleton, Grundstrom and Korshkov will need ELC's in order to stick around with the Marlies (Dzierkals may take an AHL deal). Gauthier's contract would be a waste of the 50 limit at this point.

All those players you mentioned aren't centres. Leafs/Marlies still need to sign centres for next year. Interesting that Lindgren has signed, looking forward to seeing him.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
All those players you mentioned aren't centres. Leafs/Marlies still need to sign centres for next year. Interesting that Lindgren has signed, looking forward to seeing him.
Honestly, I bet a guy like Ferguson could be more impactful that Gauthier and he'll probably play on an AHL deal. Then we just need to find vet to play a defensive role. It doesn't have to be Gauthier when he has zero NHL chance and is no longer on an ELC.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Gauthier is done. He busted three years ago. I said at that time the only chance he had was to go to Orlando and learn to play defence. Boy did I ever catch it from the HFBoards "braintrust". He was a fourth line center bobbyorr dontchknow?

I see you're offering your nuggets of wisdom at a rate of 7 times a year. Keep up the good work.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Actually, only an idiot writes off a kid three years ago.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It's still a pretty questionable suggestion even now, especially "to learn to play defense"

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Agree with this. He needs to figure it out quickly. There's just no room for slow big guys in this league anymore.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Maybe Gauthier should have converted to defense when he was 16 but if you think his game is too passive now as a center imagine him as a defenseman playing that way.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Gauthier is somewhat like a less talented Peter Holland... seems to have the tools for his role, just lacking any kind of intensity to his game to be really effective.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Yes, I mentioned Polak's skating issues were a result of his surgery in my initial post. I'm wondering if Gauthier is being affected in the same way. It's been almost a year since Freddy was hurt and I'm curious if he his skating will pick up in the coming months. It seems that it has taken Roman a year to get his legs back, might it be the same for the Goat?

I'm not arguing that it affected him, I'm just saying he wasn't a good skater to begin with whereas Polak was/is.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I had little expectations for Gauthier because of his skating and lack of offense. At best I had him pegged as a 4th line center. He needs to really train hard this summer and improve his skating. That's tough for a dude that size.
I don't think he has the offensive hockey IQ to be a center. His best spot might be on the wing as a defensive grinder, but the Leafs want speed on every line. Maybe some heavy teams out west will look at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad