Freddy "The Goat" Gauthier

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The fact that the organization has now made deadline deals in back to back seasons after having a decent look at him makes what @Brown Dog says seem true.
I though he might be able to do it, but it really doesn't seem like it.

We're going to be in the market for 2 new C's next season.

Gauthier is fine as the spare centre but I basically figured we'd need 2 centres this off-season. Check it out :)

Are the Leafs the best fit for John Tavares this summer? (Leafs Off-season)

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Gauthier is fine as the spare centre but I basically figured we'd need 2 centres this off-season. Check it out :)

Are the Leafs the best fit for John Tavares this summer? (Leafs Off-season)

I suppose his idea is find if the leafs want to get rid of any young player who has a great year because he has them all signing 1-2 year contracts and the team is so pressed up against the cap that the leafs would have no choice but to constantly jettison their youth, not have room to make trade deadline acquisitions or improve the D over the next 7 years to avoid going over the cap repeatedly. But hey, we get Tavares, so nothing else matters, right?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I suppose his idea is find if the leafs want to get rid of any young player who has a great year because he has them all signing 1-2 year contracts and the team is so pressed up against the cap that the leafs would have no choice but to constantly jettison their youth, not have room to make trade deadline acquisitions or improve the D over the next 7 years to avoid going over the cap repeatedly. But hey, we get Tavares, so nothing else matters, right?

If that is the only thing you got out of it, I can't help you very much :)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Why did you bump this? I was terrified for a second...
Definitely should've been a different thread - I wasn't terrified, but I did think we'd recalled him when I first saw it.
I've been thinking of how long it has taken Polak to regain a semblance of an NHL defenseman this year and in the last 3/4 weeks he's started to show definite improvements, at least to my eyes. Could it be that it correlates to almost being one year since his injury against Washington? Which leads me to wonder if the same issue (severe leg injury) has affected Freddy G in the same way. While never blessed with great skating skills, might we see a better skating Gauthier come the fall, when it will be past a year since his surgery and he'll have had a off-season to 'fine-tune' his stride? I'm guessing Goat is nearing the end of his time with the Leafs and as a RFA he might be offered a 1/2 year contract to prove himself. I like the guy, hope he can manage to upgrade his skating, but have no idea if this is possible. Anyone care to offer an opinion?
I hope you're right about the injury, and just needing time to fully recover. I've always been a big supporter of his, even before we drafted him, and do really want to see him succeed. If we don't get an established, long-term 4th-line C in the off-season, I hope he gets another serious look next year. He missed a golden opportunity this year, but I still think there's some potential there.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

:laugh: Can't imagine why you'd be terrified. I'm just curious about what Goat's future holds. As said, I like him, and while I realize his skating was never a strength, I wonder if whatever improvements he made were nullified by surgery and if he can improve the way Polak has.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There was once a time when an organization might keep a player like Gauthier around in their farm system for years because they like the individual. There was a possibility that the player might mature late and become an NHLer in his mid to late 20's. Today the CBA makes that an expensive investment in the contract spot and the potential to lose the player on waivers when he actually does turn the corner. The last time I remember the Leafs making a longer development investment in a player was Jay Harrison who played 6 seasons in the AHL before heading off to Europe then getting a last cup of hockey with the Leafs before catching on in Carolina.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
:laugh: Can't imagine why you'd be terrified. I'm just curious about what Goat's future holds. As said, I like him, and while I realize his skating was never a strength, I wonder if whatever improvements he made were nullified by surgery and if he can improve the way Polak has.

Polak has always been a good skater for a big guy, he struggled this year coming off surgery and no training but it's never been an issue with him.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Why would you be terrified?

Kudos for the bump rather than starting another thread to rehash a topic that's been around for a couple of years now.

On the first page alone we have:
2 GM threads
2 Tavares threads
2 JVR threads

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Kudos for the bump rather than starting another thread to rehash a topic that's been around for a couple of years now.

2 GM threads
2 Tavares threads
2 JVR threads
Because for a second I thought we just inserted a non NHLer into one of the best forward groups in the league.

Like the idea of a big 4C,but imo GOAT won't make it

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've been thinking of how long it has taken Polak to regain a semblance of an NHL defenseman this year and in the last 3/4 weeks he's started to show definite improvements, at least to my eyes. Could it be that it correlates to almost being one year since his injury against Washington? Which leads me to wonder if the same issue (severe leg injury) has affected Freddy G in the same way. While never blessed with great skating skills, might we see a better skating Gauthier come the fall, when it will be past a year since his surgery and he'll have had a off-season to 'fine-tune' his stride? I'm guessing Goat is nearing the end of his time with the Leafs and as a RFA he might be offered a 1/2 year contract to prove himself. I like the guy, hope he can manage to upgrade his skating, but have no idea if this is possible. Anyone care to offer an opinion?

Who knows what the organization is thinking with Goat at this point. I've been one of the few, hopeful that he'd become an elite Defensive C, with great size. Some of his game has improved, but that skating remains an issue. It isn't his top speed, its the first few steps. Impossible for me to say, is that just who he is, or injury. We are short C's in the system, so that bodes well for him, at least to play for the Marlies for another year. If he is fixable, it's a big off season for him though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

2 GM threads
2 Tavares threads
2 JVR threads

There was a prefix on this thread that said 'recalled/assigned' as the thread was started when Freddy was brought up to the Leafs earlier in the season. It just implied Freddy was brought back up today.

I removed it, so the discussion about Freddy can continue without the confusion.

Reactions: IBeL13f and meefer

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
At this point, I'd trade him to Montreal for their 3rd round pick (If they'd do it)

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Goat is not good enough and I fear he never will be, even for the 4th line.

Personally, i give up on the guy.
unfortunately so. these day the starting point is skating, which is his weak suit. and he has worse hands than hyman.
he'll be lucky to get an AHL contract.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There was a prefix on this thread that said 'recalled/assigned' as the thread was started when Freddy was brought up to the Leafs earlier in the season. It just implied Freddy was brought back up today.

I removed it, so the discussion about Freddy can continue without the confusion.

That's why you're the Global Mod Bert. :thumbu:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Is he waiver eligible next year? If he is I think he gets dealt this offseason for a pick. He's had his shot, looks like it's not happening under babcock

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Is he waiver eligible next year? If he is I think he gets dealt this offseason for a pick. He's had his shot, looks like it's not happening under babcock

I believe he is waiver eligible, but if he can't crack the roster next year I don't know if he gets claimed.

If a team wants to give a decent pick for him, I would move him. But at this point he's nearly waiver fodder so I don't think he'll have much value. I do think he's good centre depth for the team going forward, in terms of being able to fill in on a fourth line role if need be. I don't think he's a long-term solution though.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think he's going to get moved this summer for a draft pick. Someone will likely roll the dice on him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Guess we could attempt to move him if we're concerned about (possibly) losing him to waivers. Otherwise, with some question marks at C due to pending free agency, it might be too soon to cut ties just yet, even if he's possibly been passed on the depth chart by an Aaltonen and is not viewed as much more than a depth option.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Guess we could attempt to move him if we're concerned about (possibly) losing him to waivers. Otherwise, with some question marks at C due to pending free agency, it might be too soon to cut ties just yet, even if he's possibly been passed on the depth chart by an Aaltonen and is not viewed as much more than a depth option.

From the way Keefe is playing centers, it looks like he's also been passed by both Brooks and even college ATO Plouffe.

Reactions: Buds17

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I say give him a full year as a fourth line center with the leafs. Moore has been dissapointing and hopefully Plakenic turns it on for the playoffs. You spend a first round pick on the guy, give him every opportunity possible.

Reactions: meefer

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I say give him a full year as a fourth line center with the leafs. Moore has been dissapointing and hopefully Plakenic turns it on for the playoffs. You spend a first round pick on the guy, give him every opportunity possible.
He's had a few extended looks but.....I just don't think it's there

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4