Value of: Freddy Andersen next contract

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Seems to me like Leaf fans forgot what actual league average goaltending is like and the value of a starter.

Take it from an Oilers fan, we haven't had a legit starter since...... Roloson? Tommy Salo? (other than Talbot for 1 year).

I wouldn't be giving up on Anderson unless there was another plan in place. Coming up with a bandaid solution like hoping Jack Campbell can carry the load of a starter is a bad plan IMO. One you will regret a lot more than trading Nylander

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Blame? Lmao I get it, glasses man bad.

It doesn't even take a stellar human to realize he did the right thing. Please stop quoting me.
You said he caved to social media. I have never said that. I never even gave my opinion on “glasses man”. No need to get the victim complex out.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Seems to me like Leaf fans forgot what actual league average goaltending is like and the value of a starter.

Take it from an Oilers fan, we haven't had a legit starter since...... Roloson? Tommy Salo? (other than Talbot for 1 year).

I wouldn't be giving up on Anderson unless there was another plan in place. Coming up with a bandaid solution like hoping Jack Campbell can carry the load of a starter is a bad plan IMO. One you will regret a lot more than trading Nylander

We forgot what league average goaltending looks like because we didn't even have one last year until the Campbell trade. Andersen was below .904 every month except one, and he was below .900 in 3 of those. He had a single really good month in November and it's confusing people into thinking he just had a single bad month that brought his stats down.

That's to say nothing of being 30 and not having a single playoff series where he was clearly the best of the two (or three) goalies on the ice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Andersen has mostly been above average for us during his tenure. One of two things is also true... he's either been played too much, and doesn't have much left in the tank come playoffs, OR he isn't mentally strong enough to perform at his best in the playoffs. While the team around him hasn't been good enough in the playoffs, he's also consistently been the second best goalie in every round...

That being said, we can't just give him away, and downgrade, you are certainly right there.

Reactions: NeverForget06

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
It’s not his fault we’ve had pathetic a defensive team since he got here. He’s let in some bad goals but what goalie hasn’t?

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
If you can get to a finals with Khudobin you can win with Andersen, nobody with any understanding of the game would say Khudobin is better than Andersen
Ah but would those few with the true understanding of the game say Khudobin’s playoff run was better than any stretch of meaningful hockey Anderson has had or will ever have? We ask those with the understanding to let us know, but until then I’m a little skeptical tbh.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How about fix your defence, and then worry about whether the goalie is good enough? Everyone outside TO can see that their D is the problem, not the goalie.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How about fix your defence, and then worry about whether the goalie is good enough? Everyone outside TO can see that their D is the problem, not the goalie.

Depends on the goalie was Andersen the problem? usually no, but his backups absolutely 100% were until Campbell

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Depends on the goalie was Andersen the problem? usually no, but his backups absolutely 100% were until Campbell

Yes, but every time the Leafs fans talk about their goaltending they always blame Freddy. They are terrible in their own end. When you watch the really good teams, Toronto is so sloppy in there own end in comparison which is a nightmare for even the best goaltending. The Leafs and Oilers are a lot alike in this regard, they are a train-wreck many times in their own end, to their undoing. And not just their defenders, but the forwards also need to compete harder in their own end. If they played just a little tighter in their own end, Freddy would be fine.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, but every time the Leafs fans talk about their goaltending they always blame Freddy. They are terrible in their own end. When you watch the really good teams, Toronto is so sloppy in there own end in comparison which is a nightmare for even the best goaltending. The Leafs and Oilers are a lot alike in this regard, they are a train-wreck many times in their own end, to their undoing. And not just their defenders, but the forwards also need to compete harder in their own end. If they played just a little tighter in their own end, Freddy would be fine.

Understanding of course, that of their top seven D, three are new for this coming year, and the worst D, Ceci and Barrie are long gone. Plenty of new forwards too, though most of your points are correct. Freddy had an off year last year, and wasn't as good as he'd been in the past. He's also been weak in the playoffs, from over use, or maybe it's not his thing. But, there shouldn't be those excuses this coming year, shorter schedule, and a better backup.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Can’t blame Andersen if he moves on.

He’s been great. Leafs fans made him a whipping boy.

Leafs stats with him in the net vs without is laughably different in Andersen’s favour.

Leafs also did an awful job managing his work load, and their system relies on him bailing them out almost every night. On nights when he’s off, the leafs D is exposed hard. On nights where he’s good, most goalies would have shutouts but because the d system is so bad it turns into a tight game.

Leafs have been very fortunate the last few years with goal support but last year the system was exposed when point totals went down and Freddy had a year below his standard.

I don’t wanna sound like a typical leafs fan but this year if they clean up the D system Andersen could be near the very top of the league. Although his numbers don’t always reflect it for above mentioned reasons, he has been an elite goalie and most times the teams MVP since he’s come from Anaheim, last year being somewhat of an anomaly

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs also did an awful job managing his work load, and their system relies on him bailing them out almost every night. On nights when he’s off, the leafs D is exposed hard. On nights where he’s good, most goalies would have shutouts but because the d system is so bad it turns into a tight game.

I don’t wanna sound like a typical leafs fan but this year if they clean up the D system Andersen could be near the very top of the league.

So the issue is not the personnel, it's the system?

What system is Keefe using? Why is he using a system that makes the defense look so bad?

I'm assuming you think the Leafs this season will be using a brand new system?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So the issue is not the personnel, it's the system?

What system is Keefe using? Why is he using a system that makes the defense look so bad?

I'm assuming you think the Leafs this season will be using a brand new system?

Well I can’t comment on Keefes system fully yet. When he first came in, it was a full blown run and gun when we were scoring like crazy. I feared it would catch up. It defiantly did and he changed it up a bit.

His system isn’t great for D and G. As for your question, I do feel like Keefe saw the issues and should have made changes. D has been improved and some veteran grinding type forwards were added which should help with team D. As well as the young core matures they should value D more.

My issue is some are saying we should move on. While I would like to try a G change. I wanna remind everyone how long it took to find someone like Andersen, who ha his flaws but is a good goalie. Let him go, and bring in who? Or promote who? I’ve noticed leafs have been downgrading positions lately and it hasn’t been effective. I’ll say they got progressively worse every year lately... Theoretically they missed the playoffs last year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well I can’t comment on Keefes system fully yet. When he first came in, it was a full blown run and gun when we were scoring like crazy. I feared it would catch up. It defiantly did and he changed it up a bit.

His system isn’t great for D and G. As for your question, I do feel like Keefe saw the issues and should have made changes. D has been improved and some veteran grinding type forwards were added which should help with team D. As well as the young core matures they should value D more.

My issue is some are saying we should move on. While I would like to try a G change. I wanna remind everyone how long it took to find someone like Andersen, who ha his flaws but is a good goalie. Let him go, and bring in who? Or promote who? I’ve noticed leafs have been downgrading positions lately and it hasn’t been effective. I’ll say they got progressively worse every year lately... Theoretically they missed the playoffs last year.

I'd like them to keep Freddy but eventually they have to move on and if they do I'd target Kempur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad