Value of: Freddy Andersen next contract

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Freddy Andersen is a UFA next season, and depending on what happens with Rask, Freddy Andersen will be the top goalie on the Market.

But what does that mean? The cap is staying flat and as such what can he expect to get?

Before the flat cap I would have said 7 million but now? I'm not sure Holtby is a cup champion and he took a pay cut, but Markstrom got a raise so I'm not sure.

I think a case can be made either way

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Holtby was coming off a bad year and Markstrom was coming off a very good year.

Andersen will be 32. He's making 5 mil now and wasn't great last year. If he plays well this year, he'll probably get similar money to what he is getting now for 2-4 years. If his numbers continue to not be great, or get worse, then he's probably looking at a pay cut.

Reactions: surixon and varano

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Holtby was coming off a bad year and Markstrom was coming off a very good year.

Andersen will be 32. He's making 5 mil now and wasn't great last year. If he plays well this year, he'll probably get similar money to what he is getting now for 2-4 years. If his numbers continue to not be great, or get worse, then he's probably looking at a pay cut.

They won't get worse, the defense is better than last season and Hutchinson isn't his backup anymore so he won't be run into the ground

Reactions: Morrison

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There are always GMs willing to pay top dollar for a proven commodity. No doubt there are some who believe he's been hung out by Toronto's defense.

A team like Buffalo desperately needs a goalie.

Reactions: Morrison

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Oilers reportedly offered Markstrom $5 million/year for 7 years. I don't see why they wouldn't offer Andersen something similar unless Koskinen is lights out this year. Maybe $5 million for 6 years since Andersen is a year older than Markstrom.

Holtby only makes sense as a comparable if Andersen is terrible this season. Andersen has never had a season as bad as Holtby's 19-20.

Reactions: violaswallet

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There are always GMs willing to pay top dollar for a proven commodity. No doubt there are some who believe he's been hung out by Toronto's defense.

A team like Buffalo desperately needs a goalie.

I agree Buffalo could use him, but I don't see him going there, I see them going the trade route, or Raanta he's injury prone so he might take the money.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oilers reportedly offered Markstrom $5 million/year for 7 years. I don't see why they wouldn't offer Andersen something similar unless Koskinen is lights out this year. Maybe $5 million for 6 years since Andersen is a year older than Markstrom.

Holtby only makes sense as a comparable if Andersen is terrible this season. Andersen has never had a season as bad as Holtby's 19-20.

I could see that but that's almost 10 million in goalies that's an expensive tandem

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I guess one question would be if Andersen leaves, who will the Leafs put in crease to replace him?

And, will a capable or equal replacement cost any less?

With a flat cap next year (maybe beyond), the other question is what are the cap implications, and how much adjustment to the Leaf roster will be necessary? Only 13 players are signed for the 2021-22 season, with only $13.5 m of projected cap space. Even if Freddy took his current salary, that would leave just $8.5 m to sign 9 players (assumes a 23-man roster).

I wonder if this thread will devolve to the per usual bickering (might be better on the Leafs board)?

Reactions: Ciao

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I guess one question would be if Andersen leaves, who will the Leafs put in crease to replace him?

And, will a capable or equal replacement cost any less?

With a flat cap next year (maybe beyond), the other question is what are the cap implications, and how much adjustment to the Leaf roster will be necessary. Only 13 players are signed for the 2021-22 season, with only $13.5 m of projected cap space. Even if Freddy took his current salary, that would leave just $8.5 m to sign 9 players (assumes a 23-man roster).

I wonder if this thread will devolve to the per usual bickering (might be better on the Leafs board)?

Leafs don't usually go with a 23 man roster.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Good goalie. If he has another good year and maybe puts the game 7 demons to bed.
I’ll say with the flat cap his ceiling will be varlymov’s and lehner’s deal with the isles & knights.
4 years $5 million aav.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Whatever it is, and despite his friendship with Matthews, it would be very difficult for the Leafs to renew his contract under a flat cap & extensions to Hyman and Dermott.

Take 5-5.5M away from 13.5M cap space and add two roster spots, you now have 8-8.5M left to sign eight (8) value deals averaging a little more than $1M/year -- including a starter.

In other words, about one third of the NHL roster will still be $1M players and you just lose Andersen while staying the course, replacing him with a Jack Campbell type in the starter role.

Different story if Dubas were to alter the 40M/4 cap structure via major trade... maybe he's actually betting on the flat cap going away as soon as next year, who knows.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Who is the replacement? No do not say Jack Campbell he's a good backup but he is a backup
Does it matter ?? Another poor performance and he gone , maybe even before that. Can see Matt murray sliding in there if it doesn't work out in Ottawa

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Whatever it is, and despite his friendship with Matthews, it would be very difficult for the Leafs to renew his contract under a flat cap & extensions to Hyman and Dermott.

Take 5-5.5M away from 13.5M cap space and add two roster spots, you now have 8-8.5M left to sign eight (8) value deals averaging a little more than $1M/year -- including a starter.

In other words, about one third of the NHL roster will still be $1M players and you just lose Andersen while staying the course, replacing him with a Jack Campbell type in the starter role.

Different story if Dubas were to alter the 40M/4 cap structure via major trade... maybe he's actually betting on the flat cap going away as soon as next year, who knows.

Jack Campbell cannot be the replacement, Jack Campbell is a backup, a very good backup but he is a backup

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
I could see that but that's almost 10 million in goalies that's an expensive tandem

Well they offered that to Markstrom so they're obviously fine spending that much on goalies. Koskinen would only have one year left on his deal anyway. Carolina is another option but I can't see them offering as much as Edmonton.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well they offered that to Markstrom so they're obviously fine spending that much on goalies. Koskinen would only have one year left on his deal anyway. Carolina is another option but I can't see them offering as much as Edmonton.

Given his history with Carolina I'm not sure they are an option

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That's one area he hasn't been good at if his history with backups is any indication.

Sure Campbell was a success but only after Sparks, Hutchinson and Neuvirth failed

a) Campbell is 28. He's had multiple good/great years in a row and like many goalies he didn't figure it out until he was in his late 20's. He very well could be a starter.

b) Sparks was in the system before Dubas. People are so sour over this move picking a 25 year old AHL goalie of the year over a 35 year old McBackup that had a couple decent seasons. It wasn't the wrong move, Sparks just sucked in the NHL and really Leaf fans didn't give him a chance.

c) Neuvirth decided to quit on the NHL because he didn't come to camp (on a PTO) in shape. Idk how this could be a slight against Dubas for offering a goalie with a good track record a PTO.

d) Hutchinson was a desperation move because of the social media hate Sparks was getting from Leaf fans. There were threats towards him and his family. Nobody, including Dubas thought Hutch was any good but he needed to get a goalie for nothing that could play 5 games. He didn't play poorly with the Leafs in 2018-19. With very few backup options and much more pressing things to deal with, Hutch came into camp supposed to be on the Marlies in 2019-20 but because Neuvirth decided not to show up, we were desperate. Wasting another draft pick on another bust goalie wasn't an option (and nobody trades their backups at the beginning of the season) so Dubas had to wait until he could get a guy like Campbell to make an actual change in the goaltending.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
a) Campbell is 28. He's had multiple good/great years in a row and like many goalies he didn't figure it out until he was in his late 20's. He very well could be a starter.

b) Sparks was in the system before Dubas. People are so sour over this move picking a 25 year old AHL goalie of the year over a 35 year old McBackup that had a couple decent seasons. It wasn't the wrong move, Sparks just sucked in the NHL and really Leaf fans didn't give him a chance.

c) Neuvirth decided to quit on the NHL because he didn't come to camp (on a PTO) in shape. Idk how this could be a slight against Dubas for offering a goalie with a good track record a PTO.

d) Hutchinson was a desperation move because of the social media hate Sparks was getting from Leaf fans. There were threats towards him and his family. Nobody, including Dubas thought Hutch was any good but he needed to get a goalie for nothing that could play 5 games. He didn't play poorly with the Leafs in 2018-19. With very few backup options and much more pressing things to deal with, Hutch came into camp supposed to be on the Marlies in 2019-20 but because Neuvirth decided not to show up, we were desperate. Wasting another draft pick on another bust goalie wasn't an option (and nobody trades their backups at the beginning of the season) so Dubas had to wait until he could get a guy like Campbell to make an actual change in the goaltending.
Dubas also originally traded for Hutchinson in the 2018-19 season because at that time Frederik Andersen was hurt and were forced to start Sparks. So if that never happens chances are Hutchinson never gets traded to Toronto.

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad