Waived: Frans Nielsen on Waivers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The 2016 free agency class will go down in history as being the biggest dumpster pile ever.

Loui Eriksson
Milan Lucic
Frans Nielsen
Kyle Okposo
Andrew Ladd
David Backes

I mean half these guys can’t be bought out because of the signing bonus structure.
Majority have been put on waivers
Some have been traded for equally worse contracts to distract their fan base from how bad the guy is.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The 2016 free agency class will go down in history as being the biggest dumpster pile ever.

Loui Eriksson
Milan Lucic
Frans Nielsen
Kyle Okposo
Andrew Ladd
David Backes

I mean half these guys can’t be bought out because of the signing bonus structure.
Some have been traded for equally worse contracts to distract their fan base from how bad the guy is.
Don't forget about Helm's five-year deal.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The Habs are a case study in my fears for how the Wings rebuild will go. They are plenty talented to not only make the playoffs for the next few years, but even win a round. That said, I just don't see them ever coming together enough to be serious contenders for a Cup run. They have plenty of talent throughout the lineup, but no one is a matchup nightmare like Kane among their forwards, and they don't have dominant two-defensemen like Hedman or Doughty either.

I think there are always going to be holes comparing two teams but I would say Montreal's biggest struggle on the rebuild is they have only had 2 top 5 picks (both 3rd overall) in the last 15 years and one of them was Galchenyuk. Then put a franchise goalie in the mix that is going to make you competative in a number of games no matter what your talent level is. Also did Montreal ever really officially rebuild? I know for certain the wings kicked of a rebuild. It was much later than it should have been but its an "official" rebuild.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think there are always going to be holes comparing two teams but I would say Montreal's biggest struggle on the rebuild is they have only had 2 top 5 picks (both 3rd overall) in the last 15 years and one of them was Galchenyuk. Then put a franchise goalie in the mix that is going to make you competative in a number of games no matter what your talent level is. Also did Montreal ever really officially rebuild? I know for certain the wings kicked of a rebuild. It was much later than it should have been but its an "official" rebuild.

I think the team's braintrust didn't want to admit that they needed to tear things down to the studs until 2019.

2017 when we first missed the playoffs I'm sure that Holland thought we only needed a "retool".
2018 happened and it looked like we need a "reload".
2019 Yzerman takes over and the tank is on.

We only have 1 top 5 pick so far in Raymond and I'm really hoping that he becomes better than I think he'll be. Seider is looking like a special player with top 3 value at 6, so that's a huge bonus. We'll almost definitely have a top 5 pick this year, and hopefully next.

For the next 3 drafts we need to hit homeruns each time. No more Svechnikov/Cholowski/Rasmussens in a row.

Reactions: Retire91

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Also Frans has been horrible for about 3 years and has made 15 million-ish? Im suspicious of the fans who don't think he is a negative asset on the ice, off the ice and in the locker room.

This sounds like fan fiction to me. What do any of us know about how he is in the locker room, Good or Bad? On the ice, sure, we all watch him play and know what he has left to offer at this point. Any fan you pretends to know how he is behind closed doors is either actually a player on the team (doubt it), delusional, or full of it.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Loui Eriksson
Milan Lucic
Frans Nielsen
Kyle Okposo
Andrew Ladd
David Backes

Was that the same year Stamkos took forever to re-sign in Tampa so basically a bunch of teams were clearing space and the UFA drain plug didn't pop until he re-signed.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Was that the same year Stamkos took forever to re-sign in Tampa so basically a bunch of teams were clearing space and the UFA drain plug didn't pop until he re-signed.

Yup....I still remember TSN had us tied for #1 With TB odds wise to sign him. We went from potentially have Stamkos-Datsyuk to Nielsen. That was definitely a huge turning point.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This sounds like fan fiction to me. What do any of us know about how he is in the locker room, Good or Bad? On the ice, sure, we all watch him play and know what he has left to offer at this point. Any fan you pretends to know how he is behind closed doors is either actually a player on the team (doubt it), delusional, or full of it.

Im sure he is a fine person and teammate , I have zero reason to believe otherwise. To clarify, I think its toxic in terms of the culture to have him around in other ways. Young players see Nielsen doing his dress rehearsal as an NHL player on live tv, that doesn't help anyone for him to be playing or being on an NHL roster besides him. He doesn't bring enough value on the ice do outweigh the pros of just removing him from the organization in my opinion. If it's about taking care of your vet and making sure they get paid? Buyout and offer him a job. Besides that lets move on like we did With Howard, Ericcson, Abdelkader and let our borderline NHL prospects sink or swim. I don't enjoy the space he occupies.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Im sure he is a fine person and teammate , I have zero reason to believe otherwise. To clarify, I think its toxic in terms of the culture to have him around in other ways. Young players see Nielsen doing his dress rehearsal as an NHL player on live tv, that doesn't help anyone for him to be playing or being on an NHL roster besides him. He doesn't bring enough value on the ice do outweigh the pros of just removing him from the organization in my opinion. If it's about taking care of your vet and making sure they get paid? Buyout and offer him a job. Besides that lets move on like we did With Howard, Ericcson, Abdelkader and let our borderline NHL prospects sink or swim. I don't enjoy the space he occupies.

I think “toxic” is a bit hyperbolic, I don’t a single player feels that way, sounds more like fan fiction. If we buy him out, his contract is on the books for an extra 1-2 years depending on when we do it. He’s a perfect person to be A warm body on the taxi squad. Now, if you want to argue that a guy like Svechnikov should be playing over him, no argument from me.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think “toxic” is a bit hyperbolic, I don’t a single player feels that way, sounds more like fan fiction. If we buy him out, his contract is on the books for an extra 1-2 years depending on when we do it. He’s a perfect person to be A warm body on the taxi squad. Now, if you want to argue that a guy like Svechnikov should be playing over him, no argument from me.

We also don't know how much work he puts in behind the scenes, how hard he works with the younger guys, etc. Before he came here I don't recall anyone ever knocking his work ethic, his off-ice work, his effect on a locker room, etc. There is a fair chance he just can't be the player he once was. He got old. He might have got dinged up a bit. It sucks we sunk such a high contract cost in him and are sort of stuck with it but it goes hand-in-hand with older players.

With Nielsen, knock a few million off his cap and ask him to just be what he is right now - a very good, defensive 4th liner- and I think you get your money's worth. I'd even go so far as to say that when this team is good again that finding some older guys like Nielsen to fill out the bottom half of the lineup would be a good thing. The Wings just need to be aware of what they're asking of them and putting them into a position where they can succeed at it.

Reactions: kliq

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm not that impressed with him yet because this game against Chicago was just one game.

I think if you want someone there to teach, that's what coaches do. If you want a mentor, guys like Larkin wearing the "C," or a few of the guys a little bit older than Larkin who still contribute a lot are there for that.

I don't think this roster has room for an old guy who is just there to lead in the locker room, not if you want to be able to complain about losses.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We also don't know how much work he puts in behind the scenes, how hard he works with the younger guys, etc. Before he came here I don't recall anyone ever knocking his work ethic, his off-ice work, his effect on a locker room, etc. There is a fair chance he just can't be the player he once was. He got old. He might have got dinged up a bit. It sucks we sunk such a high contract cost in him and are sort of stuck with it but it goes hand-in-hand with older players.

With Nielsen, knock a few million off his cap and ask him to just be what he is right now - a very good, defensive 4th liner- and I think you get your money's worth. I'd even go so far as to say that when this team is good again that finding some older guys like Nielsen to fill out the bottom half of the lineup would be a good thing. The Wings just need to be aware of what they're asking of them and putting them into a position where they can succeed at it.

Veterans are examples for the younger players, how to work like a pro.

They belong on the rebuild as much as kids. Without those vets, there's no examples to follow. You need the role models as well.

It's not just the games they are playing. Could think more than half is off-ice work for any NHL player's development.

With Nielsen we'll have better future Svechnikov and better future Zadina. It's not opposite. Go ask from them and they'll give you the same answer. They'll praise the veterans.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Veterans are examples for the younger players, how to work like a pro.

They belong on the rebuild as much as kids. Without those vets, there's no examples to follow. You need the role models as well.

It's not just the games they are playing. Could think more than half is off-ice work for any NHL player's development.

While I'd be fine with Nielsen not being here, I do 100% agree with this sentiment. Perfect example of this is the pre McDavid Oilers. #1 pick after #1 pick, stacked with "skill" and "talent", yet couldn't even make the playoffs. Of course the most important thing when it comes to a icing a winning team is having high end skill players, but you need to surround them with a good combination of vets and role players, especially if those skill players are young. Just look at Joe Thornton on the Leafs, some fans were shitting all over that move especially when he was put on the first line, however from everything I have read Matthews and Marner love having him as a linemate (and are having career years), and Thornton is holding his own with 10 points in 10 games. Having that veteran presence can be huge.

Now before someone comes in with the cliche "tie goes to the vets" comment, of course there needs to be a balance. You need to give your kids a chance to play, and I have said I would rather have a guy like Svech in the lineup and a guy like Nielsen on the taxi squad, but there is nothing wrong with having some vets.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That gives me an appreciation of vets I had not considered before. Someone like Chelios or Gary Roberts were league known for their dedication to their craft and having that in the locker room would be a huge influence. I think there is some veteran fatigue among wings fans as the vet card was really abused by the former management group but I think that is fading. For example I am loving having Ryan on the team and I think he brings some of that to the locker room. As much as I hate Nielsen's contract I have never heard a single bad thing about the guy and he is probably a great presence too.

Reactions: kliq and Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad