Player Discussion Frank Vatrano II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure on this but since Vatrano isn't waver eligible and with the roster freeze starting the day after tomorrow, can he even be called up?

Did read a piece earlier this week with 5 or so exceptions listed for the roster freeze period. Recall one or two addressed a teams ability to complete a transaction with a farm team to address injuries situations. Would include a returning roster player from injury/conditioning stints with a farm club. May not be 100% accurate on the details but generally along those lines. Would think Frankie can rejoin them when he may be ready.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
How do you know he is tired?And your fooling yourself if you think he is better on offence then Krecji.Who led playoffs twice in scoring?Not Bergeron.

Referring to his center spot billing. Nothing is fooling me, why Bergeron keeps getting the #1 billing is what's fooling me. Besides Krejci is not have bad defensively.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Anyone watched his 2 Pro games to see how he's been skating? I see he's a goal a game, were they some nice goals?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They should have enough roster space to bring Vatrano back and keep Blidh if they want to.

Yeah we have 22 so one more slot- so we have Hayes (we hope) and 1 D as likely healthy scratches when Vatrano returns. When Beleskey comes back, then someone will need to do go down assuming no more IR players, and if (when) Liles comes back another send down all else remaining the same. I don't honestly look for Liles to be back- This is what, bad concussion 3 for him and he's 36? If he's been at all sensible with his money, I don't see why he risks his long-term health any further.

But I digress- yeah, we have room for Frankie and when Beleskey comes back, the brain trust will have to decide who goes. I hope its Hayes, but more likely either Acciari or Blidh given the track record.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah we have 22 so one more slot- so we have Hayes (we hope) and 1 D as likely healthy scratches when Vatrano returns. When Beleskey comes back, then someone will need to do go down assuming no more IR players, and if (when) Liles comes back another send down all else remaining the same. I don't honestly look for Liles to be back- This is what, bad concussion 3 for him and he's 36? If he's been at all sensible with his money, I don't see why he risks his long-term health any further.

But I digress- yeah, we have room for Frankie and when Beleskey comes back, the brain trust will have to decide who goes. I hope its Hayes, but more likely either Acciari or Blidh given the track record.

I like Acciari... but Blidh provides more offense and skill. Acciari is entertaining... but not very good.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like Acciari... but Blidh provides more offense and skill. Acciari is entertaining... but not very good.

I agree, I like Noel, but if I had to choose one of the two based on Blidh's game so far, I'd keep Blidh also. In an ideal world for this season at least, I'd prefer to send Hayes to Providence and keep the two young guys, but I don't see that happening- prove me wrong Don and Clode!!

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Officially called up now, im so exited to see this kid play.
It´s funny he has kept his goal/game pace since last season in the ahl.
Him getting back now is earlier then expected isnt it?
If I remember correctly he was scheduled for early january or am I just rememberin this wrong?´
If he lives up to expectations and scores goals, he is exactly what we need (except for a top pairing D-man ofc).

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Anyone watched his 2 Pro games to see how he's been skating? I see he's a goal a game, were they some nice goals?

Some comments have been made about him in the Providence thread. Nothing out of the ordinary than what you might expect from a rehad assignment. Rust issues primarily. Did pop a goal in each game so far that seemed as if they were in the typical FV sniper fashion. Good situation for him as the baby B's have been playing so well for an extended period of time now. 7-1-1-1 in the last ten.

Edit: Divver's tweet is good news. His info is considered the best as the person to go for accurate and timely updates on the baby B's. Seems like he is very close to being ready for a recall. Terrific!

Last edited:

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
Officially called up now, im so exited to see this kid play.
It´s funny he has kept his goal/game pace since last season in the ahl.
Him getting back now is earlier then expected isnt it?
If I remember correctly he was scheduled for early january or am I just rememberin this wrong?´
If he lives up to expectations and scores goals, he is exactly what we need (except for a top pairing D-man ofc).

Time to find out on Vatrano. For me, he was a bit disappointing last year. He has the rifle and skill, just not sure he has the size and skating. Seemed to be invisible at times last year. Went 30 something games without a goal. So while i like this kid, It is time to show Sweeney what you got. Didn't Brandon Bochesnki lead the AHL in goals once or twice ? Looking forward to seeing Franky V become an icon in beantown.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Time to find out on Vatrano. For me, he was a bit disappointing last year. He has the rifle and skill, just not sure he has the size and skating. Seemed to be invisible at times last year. Went 30 something games without a goal. So while i like this kid, It is time to show Sweeney what you got. Didn't Brandon Bochesnki lead the AHL in goals once or twice ? Looking forward to seeing Franky V become an icon in beantown.

He played a total of 39 games last year and had 8 goals... A 16 goal pace for a rookie undrafted free agent. Pretty good

Like most young kids he needed to work on consistency last season. From what I remember he had the speed and work ethic without the puck/along the boards. He improved in those aspects over the course of the year. If he keeps improving in those aspects he could be a forechecking terror with his build and low center of gravity. Wrecking ball part 2?? Hopefully he can provide some of the top 9 scoring depth we are desperate for.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Through their first 30 games...

Marchand: 1g, 4a

Vatrano: 6g, 1a

I'm not comparing the two talent-wise, but it would not have been accurate to judge Marchand's NHL future based on his first 30 or even 50 games. Far too early to anoint FV a legit NHL scorer...or a bust.

ps Vatrano didn't go 30 something NHL games without a goal. He played 39 games in the NHL last year and his tallies came in games 1, 7, 17, 25, 31, 35 (so his longest stretch w/out a goal was 10 games).

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Great to have him back. :) Hopefully the experience he got last year pays off. We could use some scoring depth.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'm not comparing the two talent-wise, but it would not have been accurate to judge Marchand's NHL future based on his first 30 or even 50 games. Far too early to anoint FV a legit NHL scorer...or a bust.

ps Vatrano didn't go 30 something NHL games without a goal. He played 39 games in the NHL last year and his tallies came in games 1, 7, 17, 25, 31, 35 (so his longest stretch w/out a goal was 10 games).

How dare you disparage the Savior!!! :naughty:

In all seriousness, I'm with you on not being sure what to think of this guy. Could everyone have gotten it wrong and he's just a late bloomer? Was last year's pace just beginners luck? Man, it would be huge if he was a later bloomer because this team needs offense. The games go by and they keep dropping lower and lower in the rankings for goals for and goals for per game. Let's hope he comes in and makes an impact. I'd plug him in with DK to see if he can get it going.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Player development isn't linear, though. People develop at different stages.

I don't disagree that its too early to call him anything (a star or a bust), but I think citing Marchands first few games as evidence is a bit misleading. Regardless of his development though, he'll immediately become one of the most talented scorers on the roster as soon as hes put into the lineup. Hopefully he can translate that skill at the NHL Level.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Thats grade A bananas- I'd love to find one poster who predicted before the season started that he would be as successful as he was last year.

He went from scoring 18 goals in 36 games for UMass to scoring 36 goals in 36 games in the AHL and another 8 in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce