Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To be fair, Dundon's plan was really obvious from the start.

He knew the typical salary of GMs/AGMs (or he could have easily found out.) Which meant he was lowballing prospective GMs for a reason.

That reason was that he already had a guy in mind, but knew that firing a franchise hero and hiring a guy with Waddell's past wouldn't sit well with the fanbase. So he fires Francis early, and makes a very public GM search afterwards. This puts distance between the firing of Francis and the new hire, and gives the fanbase something else to focus on.

He intentionally low-balls any candidate, knowing they'd reject him. Eventually, he hires Waddell, claiming that "after a long GM search, we determined Waddell was the right candidate for this position." He gets his guy, and comes off smelling like roses

What he probably didn't account for was that his salary offers would become public as quickly as they did, hence why he took his "GM search" underground shortly after it did. It also explains why he was so dodgy with his answers in that ESPN interview.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Looking at Waddell and Dudley's resumes, it's apparent that these guys are transitional execs. This team needs stability right now. They know the business, they know the sport, and can "keep er' steady" and hopefully fix a couple of the glaring issues. They'll probably both get canned at some point, but if the worse thing they do is not much then have they done much worse than RF?

I think this is a super-good point.

When making big changes, the rule is "change one thing at a time" because it's the best way to evaluate objectively. At the end of the day, the move from Francis to Waddell isn't nearly as disruptive as any number of changes could have been. And like others say, I think the odds of Vellucci being the next head coach just went way up.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Seriously? I think you mean "I'm guessing they're waiting for the Checkers to win the Calder Cup". They just swept the 4th best team in the league, have some faith.

My bad, I do actually have faith in them. The team is pretty stacked and is red freaking hot. And I'll definitely be all on board the Vellucci train if he manages to win the Calder.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Think about the Nieuwendyk situation. He's got hired to be a "scout" and "advisor", but he wouldn't be leaving Dallas, and for the most part, from what I can tell, was attending Dallas Stars games. I'm sure the new ownership came onboard and said "What the heck is this guy doing for us?" When it wasn't clear, they probably started either digging into it or requiring that he not just "stay in Dallas". Joe knew his gravy train was over.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Think about the Nieuwendyk situation. He's got hired to be a "scout" and "advisor", but he wouldn't be leaving Dallas, and for the most part, from what I can tell, was attending Dallas Stars games. I'm sure the new ownership came onboard and said "What the heck is this guy doing for us?" When it wasn't clear, they probably started either digging into it or requiring that he not just "stay in Dallas". Joe knew his gravy train was over.

But... isn't Dundon just staying in Dallas?

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

OffEJTR.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Ward going to get himself in trouble tearing down these puff/clickbait pieces coming out. Seems like he knows some of this stuff relating to Carolina is bull****.

Imagine that, a legitimate hockey media source who lives in Cary might actually know something about how the Canes work more than someone who lives in Canada. Its almost like Ward used to play for the team and still has trusted sources in the organization.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

They were doing this exact same thing with Ray Whitney (and I'm sure others). Whitney was paid to attend Phoenix games and send in reports on Western Conference teams. Not sure how common this setup is - it could be fairly regular for NHL teams. Maybe Nieuwendyk had a big hand in bringing in Darling?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
They were doing this exact same thing with Ray Whitney (and I'm sure others). Whitney was paid to attend Phoenix games and send in reports on Western Conference teams. Not sure how common this setup is - it could be fairly regular for NHL teams. Maybe Nieuwendyk had a big hand in bringing in Darling?

It’s a common setup. I know the AHL all-time PIM leader Dennis Bonvie has scouted the AHL in Eastern PA where he lives since he retired. Got a couple of rings as a Blackhawks scout and I believe he’s with the Bruins now.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And if so, would explain why he was likely asked to resign

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

I gotta respect the hustle from Waddell. He may not be GM in title just yet, but it's him and Dudley calling the shots. At least he's qualified for the job, and it's nice to add another experienced hire to hopefully bring some stability. And I'd imagine Dudley is pretty familiar with Svech and Zadina at this point, so that's helpful.

I'm fine with this setup, but I do hope we see more hires made in the scouting department and maybe another analytics guy to work with Tulsky.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I gotta respect the hustle from Waddell. He may not be GM in title just yet, but it's him and Dudley calling the shots. At least he's qualified for the job, and it's nice to add another experienced hire to hopefully bring some stability. And I'd imagine Dudley is pretty familiar with Svech and Zadina at this point, so that's helpful.

I'm fine with this setup, but I do hope we see more hires made in the scouting department and maybe another analytics guy to work with Tulsky.

Good point. Montreal has been scouting these guys for a while given their record.

I want a voice in there saying “We were dreaming about landing in this spot to take Svechnikov” to counteract anyone who pre-lottery was projecting “Well if I was at #2 I’d actually buck the trend and take ____”. Similar (but reverse) is 2010 NYR taking Dylan McIlrath as Cam Fowler fell because they just loved their diamond in the rough over the sure thing.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
It's kinda funny when Dundon first came here I thought Waddell may of had his job neutralized by Dundon's arrival. Little did I know I was completely wrong and Waddell is now likely about to be the captain of this boat.

Not thrilled about this at all. I'm just praying to the hockey gods that the new captain of this ship doesn't make any boneheaded mistakes that sink our ship. We have a really solid basis of team right now, make a few small tweaks and I think we can be a really competitive team.
Yeh, not trying to look at this in a negative way, but I wonder how much Waddell had of TD's ear in this whole process? Just makes me think if he gets the GM job.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm not sure how to feel about everything. I'm not really upset by any of it, just mildly dazed and confused. Waddell and Dudley both have some bad things on their resumes, but some good stuff too, and a ton of experience. I would have preferred the up and coming route, but maybe stability and being on the same page will prove more important. I do think Waddell appears to have mostly done a good job for us in his role, so I guess good on him for parlaying that into something bigger.

I'm a fan of getting rid of the status quo at this point, and as I've said before, this has already been the most entertaining offseason I can remember in a long time, and only figures to be moreso.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad