Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Am I just being defensive as a canes fan or is the Canadian media really blowing Dundon out of proportion?

Every quote I see from Dundon seems to make reasonable sense, but even though he's 2 months on the the job they are trying to paint him as some meddlesome nightmare to work for.

Blowing it out of proportion for sure. I'm seriously pumped to have him onboard as the owner of the Canes. This guy is just about everything I'd dream of in having as a owner of the Canes. The way he talks about improving the fan experience gets me giddy, and he's already done some of those things and it's been awesome. I love that he has his heart already connected to this team and wants to win. He's a fan of this team, and it's really freaking cool to have him onboard. He also seems to really value the players and takes great care of them, that's going to prove valuable down the road when it comes to bringing in new players to this organization. He wants to win, he has his vision, let him execute his vision. But it's obvious he's not afraid to make a big business decision (ie: Francis). There's gonna be somethings in his tenure we'll likely disagree with, but this guy has all the intentions to have a winning team and grow the fan experience. He wants us Caniacs happy, and he's going to try his best with his way of thinking to do exactly that.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Am I just being defensive as a canes fan or is the Canadian media really blowing Dundon out of proportion?

Every quote I see from Dundon seems to make reasonable sense, but even though he's 2 months on the the job they are trying to paint him as some meddlesome nightmare to work for.

I'm thinking most of them are pissed that the team isn't going to Quebec. They spent something like 3 years building up false hope based on flight trackers and other nonsense that the Nordiques were returning to the league and our team was the one to relocate there. So now that there is a new owner who is committed to Raleigh, they're looking for anything and everything to spin it into how terrible he is and how evil he is for keeping the team here.

Just my guess. I mean there are idiots out there who are convinced Dundon is moving the team to Houston because he's from Dallas :laugh:

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Having personality in hockey is a scary thought for some folks
Not so much personality but doing things differently from what the good old boys are used to. Being a "disruptor" in stripping off how things are traditionally done to put in a more effective system. Dundon wants to run the canes like he would any other business. It's hands on but not in the same way as a jerry jones. Not hands on the decisions, but hands on shaping the system by how decisions are made. I think this is good. The old boys club mentality has been heavily entrenched, hiring friends and former players for this and that, in this franchise for so long Dundon decided to rip the band aid off. It's guaranteed that was going to rub people the wrong way, especially when it happened to someone so respected and beloved as Francis. But that's how you have to run a business.

I think the list in lebrun's tweet shows Dundon knows what he's doing and we don't have to be too concerned. If we were looking at waddell or some other puppet getting promoted then the media alarms might have some merit.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Look at how many freaked out on this board before we even had any quotes from Dundon or context on the move. The status quo in the hockey world got a bit thrown on its head with this move and its timing. Then throw in all the Canadian media liking Francis and wanting to get clicks and views and you get a lot of the stupid stuff we've seen and heard.

Dundon may ultimately become an issue. Who knows? But based on pretty much everything he's said thus far, the fact he has Waddell helping to run the search, and the list of candidates so far, most of the concerns from everyone at this point seem to be mostly unfounded.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

Not just Canadian media: do yourself a favor and don't read Ryan Lambert's "writing" on Yahoo Sports today.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think there's plenty of legitimate gripes about RF's tenure. You could maybe regard him as the team builder who's been too conservative with personnel moves to get the team over the hump and not many of the regulars here would be quick to dismiss that.

What has Dundon done to deserve this "meddlesome owner" nonsense though? And there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Dundon wants complete control over player personnel. If that's what he wanted, he'd just make himself the GM.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Fenton, wonder how much he’s been involved with Nashville.

BriseBois and Futa are probably front runners

Y'know all that noise about how amazing it is how many Whalers from the mid-80s era teams are still in hockey? We talk about coaches like Joel Quenneville, Dave Tippett, Kevin Dineen, Dean Evason, Ulf Samuelsson and Steve Weeks. And execs like Ron Francis and Mike Liut. And broadcasters Greg Millen and Ray Ferraro.

Well, Paul Fenton was on those teams, too. He was mostly an AHLer with Binghampton during his three years, but did play a handful of games for Hartford until signing with the Rangers as a free agent. I haven't read about him attending their reunions, but I'm sure he's got relationships with all the usual suspects (above) as well as everybody he's met in 24 years in front offices.

I'm not sure if the Hartford connection makes me happy or not. It's not really the "clean slate" we seem to want and need.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
What has Dundon done to deserve this "meddlesome owner" nonsense though? And there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Dundon wants complete control over player personnel. If that's what he wanted, he'd just make himself the GM.

He's "meddlesome" because he wouldn't turn over the keys to his new $500 million toy to a guy who didn't feel the need to take input from anyone else, including his new owner.

The old-boy network that is the NHL is butt-hurt because Francis was "invested." But everything I'm reading makes me think Francis was in a little bubble, where he isolated himself and his plan from everybody else in the organization. He got away with it under Karmanos because the guy didn't care. But if he wanted to stay, all he had to do was let everyone in on the plan and accept some expert opinions. He refused.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Dundon started a company that he sold for 950 million dollars.

People can talk all the shit they want, but that's a guy who knows how to identify opportunities and exploit them. At some point I sure he didn't know shit about auto finance.

Let the talking heads talk. I'm Team Dundon until he demonstrates some reason not to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad