Found out how desperate EB games is for a sale

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
. You'd you think that a town being on fire like town is would come above making a sale.

Oh how silly was I. You see EB games went so far as to Transfer my pre order from Fort Mac to Edmonton and that I was more than welcome to pick it up lol.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
While I don't think this story deserves a thread in itself, that is pretty scummy. Maybe we can have this thread to discuss retail game stores in general?
I'm surprised EB Games still exist and haven't gone the way of Blockbuster. I guess they make enough from trade-in games to stay afloat. If Microsoft/Sony had've followed through with their no used game policy for the new consoles, EB Games would have been destroyed. Hopefully it happens next generation.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
While I don't think this story deserves a thread in itself, that is pretty scummy. Maybe we can have this thread to discuss retail game stores in general?
I'm surprised EB Games still exist and haven't gone the way of Blockbuster. I guess they make enough from trade-in games to stay afloat. If Microsoft/Sony had've followed through with their no used game policy for the new consoles, EB Games would have been destroyed. Hopefully it happens next generation.

I disagree. I enjoy picking up used games at a cheaper price then their new retail counter parts. There are very few games that I buy now that are brand new at launch, and without these store i wouldn't buy as many games. Digital downloads are not always an option in some communities.

Besides that also kills they ability to borrow games from a friend. Remember how hard XB1 was criticized when they announced that at launch. No body wants that.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
I disagree. I enjoy picking up used games at a cheaper price then their new retail counter parts. There are very few games that I buy now that are brand new at launch, and without these store i wouldn't buy as many games. Digital downloads are not always an option in some communities.

Besides that also kills they ability to borrow games from a friend. Remember how hard XB1 was criticized when they announced that at launch. No body wants that.

Regardless, it's an inevitability at this point. Kids will grow up without the whole lending culture and I'd be surprised that hard copies of games are still being manufactured within 5 years. I think out of the last 15 games I've bought that 1 has been a hard copy.

The real interesting thing will be to see how subscription based gaming evolves as I see that to be a very real threat to any studio that isn't tied into a major corportation We've seen the start of it with EA Access and right now it's great because it provides exceptional value, but I imagine that value will start to decrease as it becomes more common place

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Microsoft, Sony, and to a lesser extent Valve, have proven multiple times already this generation that they aren't prepared to combat some kids with a botnet. Doesn't matter how big they want to make their pipes; if somebody wants to bring their service down badly enough, they can and will. If Microsoft had stuck to their original plan their service would constantly be under Denial of Service attacks and nobody with an Xbox would be able to play their games at all.

Every time somebody wishes for an all-digital utopia, I wonder if they really understand how the internet works.

And I'm not really sure what's wrong with Fort Mac EBs making an effort to fulfill pre-orders elsewhere. I mean, you pre-ordered it, so presumably you want it, and the store you pre-ordered it from probably won't be operational for a while. Hopefully they aren't sticking to their "pick it up in 2 days or it's gone" procedure, though.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

There are some other options though. I've bought new (sealed) games off Craigslist for like $30, digital copies are easy to download and game sharing allows you to split costs with someone else (can play the same game library between two people), and flash sales (or if you're a PC gamer, Steam sales >>>> retail AINEC (lol)). But I get you still can't find all games digitally.

I might also be biased since they rip people off for most trade-in games value. I'd see EB Games going out of business as natural, survival of the fittest capitalism It happened to all movie rental places, some DVD/CD stores, and digital is exploding with companies like Netflix.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Microsoft, Sony, and to a lesser extent Valve, have proven multiple times already this generation that they aren't prepared to combat some kids with a botnet. Doesn't matter how big they want to make their pipes; if somebody wants to bring their service down badly enough, they can and will. If Microsoft had stuck to their original plan their service would constantly be under Denial of Service attacks and nobody with an Xbox would be able to play their games at all.

Every time somebody wishes for an all-digital utopia, I wonder if they really understand how the internet works.

And I'm not really sure what's wrong with Fort Mac EBs making an effort to fulfill pre-orders elsewhere. I mean, you pre-ordered it, so presumably you want it, and the store you pre-ordered it from probably won't be operational for a while. Hopefully they aren't sticking to their "pick it up in 2 days or it's gone" procedure, though.

There's a big difference between digital retailing and the always online thing.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
EB games is still open?

Came in just to say that. It fills me with memories of being a kid, and going to packed shopping malls. Suncoast video, KB toys, Tower records, Babbage's...

6011789694_9fb2f848b2_b.jpg

Although, I think most of the actual Babbage's and EB's were converted into Gamestop (and most of the time, I'm surprised they're still in business).

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I said I was going overbudget, and the sales guy gave me 10 bucks extra on the game I traded in...

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
EB games is still open?

Came in just to say that. It fills me with memories of being a kid, and going to packed shopping malls. Suncoast video, KB toys, Tower records, Babbage's...

6011789694_9fb2f848b2_b.jpg

Although, I think most of the actual Babbage's and EB's were converted into Gamestop (and most of the time, I'm surprised they're still in business).

EB Games lives on as Canada's version of Gamestop, owned by Gamestop.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Why anyone would want physical copies of games/music/movies anymore is beyond me. I am older than most here I would guess and grew up with records/VHS/DVDs etc... and just the amount of clutter is annoying. I have an entire large closet of CDs whose only purpose is to take up space as I have digitally downloaded the ones I by wanted now. The only reason I do not take them all to the dump is some 'nostalgia' factor as well as the amount of money I spent on them at the time.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Why anyone would want physical copies of games/music/movies anymore is beyond me. I am older than most here I would guess and grew up with records/VHS/DVDs etc... and just the amount of clutter is annoying. I have an entire large closet of CDs whose only purpose is to take up space as I have digitally downloaded the ones I by wanted now. The only reason I do not take them all to the dump is some 'nostalgia' factor as well as the amount of money I spent on them at the time.
Easy trade in when you're done, data caps, slow download speeds, etc. Plenty of reasons why physical can be more convenient still.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Easy trade in when you're done, data caps, slow download speeds, etc. Plenty of reasons why physical can be more convenient still.

The only argument I see here is 'trade in' though I cannot see that being an option very soon (and really it is only nickles on the dollar). Data caps are rarely (I am on Shaw so never) enforced and slow download speeds? I downloaded movies and music on a 14400 telephone modem for years. Yeah, it takes a while but even the slowest internet available would only take a day or 2 to download even the largest game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The only argument I see here is 'trade in' though I cannot see that being an option very soon (and really it is only nickles on the dollar). Data caps are rarely (I am on Shaw so never) enforced and slow download speeds? I downloaded movies and music on a 14400 telephone modem for years. Yeah, it takes a while but even the slowest internet available would only take a day or 2 to download even the largest game.

If traded back in within reasonable time after release, you can often recoup almost half the cost of the game. That's pretty significant.

Sure, you could download it on slow internet, but compared to the convenience of picking it up on your way home from work and having it immediately? Or having it delivered to you (on release day if you pre-order, although that tends to be risky)?

For consoles, it makes a ton of sense to go physical. PC, less so, since you can't trade in...but the slow download thing could still apply. With a good internet connection, I find digital much more convenient on PC.

Plus some people love to collect.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Data caps are enforced. If I go over my cap, I get charged extra. And yes, I'm often bumping the upper limit of my cap.

And I didn't mean you can't download due to slow speeds, but it can certainly be more convenient to just buy physical. Just because you value the convenience of more space over being able to play something right away doesn't mean everyone does.

And some people just like having a physical collection. I go mostly digital for books I buy, but there are still some that I buy physical just because I like to put them on display. I assume the same can be said for people with video games.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I love having physical copies of things, only so much space on a HD and you're not saving any money digitally. If they cut the price way down having no middle man then of course I would make the switch but if I'm paying the same price I'll take physical every time. Like the collection aspect of it, having these things on my shelf.

Started buying CDs again because they are cheaper than digital. Buy CD, rip it to iTunes and you get your digital copy anyway, spending half the price. Can go to a garage sale and get 10 albums for a couple bucks and expand my music collection.

But I don't see anything wrong with what EB games did here. If anything it seems they're trying to help out people who lost their stuff - and with most evacuees ending up in Edmonton it's the logical place for them to hold it. I'm sure if you wanted to cancel they would be more than happy to do that too. If they just went ahead and cancelled everyone's preorder from Fort McMurray that would probably piss a lot of people off even more.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

In Canada they are absolutely enforced. Coincidently by the same Telecom companies who have been resistance to role out affordable unlimited ultra high speed to most customers.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
In Canada they are absolutely enforced. Coincidently by the same Telecom companies who have been resistance to role out affordable unlimited ultra high speed to most customers.

Not on Shaw. I downloaded my entire Steam Library, Origin Library and GoG Library in January (and that is well over 1000 games), as well as several movies and TV shows over the course of a week and never heard a peep from them. Several TBs of data on a 100GBish "data cap" in a week.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
This topic has been brought up several times, digital vs physical, but part of my attraction to physical are sales.

BB has games on sale all the time, example, even though I'm wish washy on the game, I thought the Uncharted collection was too good to pass up at $16 (GCU member), everywhere else, it's still $40. They have sales on XBL and PSN, but even newer games drop to $40 at BB within a couple months, online, you're generally paying full price...for something that doesn't have any physical components...is convenience worth that much?

I only do digital for Steam, or if I can't get physical, as digital just makes it feel like I'm just renting a game, rather than owning it.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I haven't bought that many games on my WiiU digitally but I think I've already pretty much used up all of my space to install games. Maybe ~10-15 games on it and I've owned it for 1.5 years roughly. To me that is a huge downfall of buying stuff digitally.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I get if they are typically cheaper, but I doubt that is very often, I get that you can trade them in (though the same people that say they like to trade them are the same ones that say they like to 'display' them); I suppose (and just from my point of view), as I got older and now have a house and kid, any extra clutter is just a pain in the but. Am I going to 'display' a bunch of game discs for my 45-year-old colleges? I have enough toys and kid junk all over the house that I do not need more when I can have the 'hobby of gaming' stored on a HD.

I do not know enough about consoles to comment (I do not own one) but how they have not gone to purely digital is again beyond me. It seems the only ones who would care are those who 'collect' and, well if they want to play the game they will buy it anyhow. I still see no reasonable argument for wanting physical over digital at this day in age.

And, yeah we have had this discussion many times before, and everytime I feel the argument in favour of physical becomes weaker and weaker.

Also, I do not see what EB did wrong regarding the OPs criticism.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You're a little mixed up on the details here. Microsoft wasn't going to kill used game sales for EB Games/Gamestop, they were going to kill things like game lending/trading and selling/buying games on Ebay, then hand the big retailers like Gamestop and Best Buy a complete monopoly on used game sales.

They had a process where you could still trade your game in, but you had to bring it into an official store to get the license unlocked. This would have cut into Gamestops profits as the publisher could take a cut at that point, but as a trade off much of the more social variety of their competition would be eliminated.

Basically as much as the console makers and big publishers would love go only digital and/or kill Gamestop's used market, the physical retailers are still too big a fish for them to piss off too much.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not saying this is common but I owned a digital copy of Pokemon Y. Bought Pokemon black purely to be able to transfer the Pokemon I caught as a kid in the third gen. Including a completely legit shiny meta gross with the right nature and stats. The odds of getting a legit one with all those features is astronomical. Even if I didn't care about the rest of the series, I had that as my favorite piece of data. Flash forward to Pokemon Y, a game I invested a ton of time into and had two boxes full of legitimate shinies before poke bank flooded the game with fakes. Plus three boxes of competitively bred Pokemon. An investment of more hours than I care to admit. One day I fire up the game and see that my file was corrupted with no back up. Deleting the ones from my childhood and the ones I worked so hard to get in this gen.,

Like i said. I know situations like this are rare but it turned me off to digital.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad