Found out how desperate EB games is for a sale

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Hdd's can fail, I'd rather not lose everything if something goes haywire.

Also there are a lot of people in the US without access to high speed internet, so a game like Grand theft auto 5 which had a 49 gb dl on xbox one would be over 2000 hours on a dialup

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I suppose (and just from my point of view), as I got older and now have a house and kid, any extra clutter is just a pain in the but. Am I going to 'display' a bunch of game discs for my 45-year-old colleges? I have enough toys and kid junk all over the house that I do not need more when I can have the 'hobby of gaming' stored on a HD.

Different strokes for different folks.

I do not know enough about consoles to comment (I do not own one) but how they have not gone to purely digital is again beyond me. It seems the only ones who would care are those who 'collect' and, well if they want to play the game they will buy it anyhow.

No platform has gone "purely" digital yet (although PC is getting close because AAA titles have taken to only putting the Steam downloader on the disk). Collector's editions and the like will probably always be a thing.

I still see no reasonable argument for wanting physical over digital at this day in age.

Even if you want to ignore some people's desires to display their game cases, and that most people can't exceed their data cap without severe monetary penalties, the ability to trade in a game for up to close to half of its initial price isn't reasonable?

Digital pricing has no advantage over physical pricing at this point on console.

And, yeah we have had this discussion many times before, and everytime I feel the argument in favour of physical becomes weaker and weaker.

I honestly don't see how this is possible, since the argument has not changed in recent memory. :laugh:

Also, I do not see what EB did wrong regarding the OPs criticism.

I actually don't understand what is wrong with it either. Maybe I'm misreading it...

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not saying this is common but I owned a digital copy of Pokemon Y. Bought Pokemon black purely to be able to transfer the Pokemon I caught as a kid in the third gen. Including a completely legit shiny meta gross with the right nature and stats. The odds of getting a legit one with all those features is astronomical. Even if I didn't care about the rest of the series, I had that as my favorite piece of data. Flash forward to Pokemon Y, a game I invested a ton of time into and had two boxes full of legitimate shinies before poke bank flooded the game with fakes. Plus three boxes of competitively bred Pokemon. An investment of more hours than I care to admit. One day I fire up the game and see that my file was corrupted with no back up. Deleting the ones from my childhood and the ones I worked so hard to get in this gen.,

Like i said. I know situations like this are rare but it turned me off to digital.

Back in the 90's I had Ogre Battle for SNES, my save game just a couple missions from the end game with all the secret characters and having 100% towards the best ending. For some reason I had the cartridge in my hand and was running on the linoleum floor, slipped straight forward and smacked it hard. The cartridge still worked, but my saved games were wiped :cry:

Basically moral of the story whether you have a physical or digital copy of something there are ways to lose both. Digital copies the service could shut down or data get corrupted. Physical copies can get lost/stolen/destroyed, or in some cases even just decay. PS1 CD's were pretty bad for that.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I get if they are typically cheaper, but I doubt that is very often, I get that you can trade them in (though the same people that say they like to trade them are the same ones that say they like to 'display' them); I suppose (and just from my point of view), as I got older and now have a house and kid, any extra clutter is just a pain in the but. Am I going to 'display' a bunch of game discs for my 45-year-old colleges? I have enough toys and kid junk all over the house that I do not need more when I can have the 'hobby of gaming' stored on a HD.

I do not know enough about consoles to comment (I do not own one) but how they have not gone to purely digital is again beyond me. It seems the only ones who would care are those who 'collect' and, well if they want to play the game they will buy it anyhow. I still see no reasonable argument for wanting physical over digital at this day in age.

And, yeah we have had this discussion many times before, and everytime I feel the argument in favour of physical becomes weaker and weaker.

Also, I do not see what EB did wrong regarding the OPs criticism.

Buying physical for consoles is pretty much always cheaper except for occasionally the flash sales that throw up some good deals. But in general physical is cheaper, even more so if you buy used.

You say how they haven't gone to digital is beyond you, yet already multiple examples posted in this thread before you said that. Wake up, not everyone is you.

Cheaper.
Data caps.
Internet speed.
People running out of hdd space.
People want to collect.
Sharing games.
Trading in.

All entirely valid reasons for many people, even if some don't apply to everyone.

You see "no reasonable argument" let's start with the fact it is cheaper, seems like the ultimate reasonable argument to me.

In my country Uncharted 4 is 120 on PSN, I got it in store for 89.

For me personally there's two main benefits to physical. That is the first, the ability to on sell is the second. Once I finish Uncharted I'll sell it second hand for 60 or so like I have with so many other games before it. Ultimately I'll end up having paid about 30 for the game once I get that money back instead of 120.

Problem is, you admit yourself you don't know enough about consoles to comment but do so anyway and make incorrect comments such as your comments about pricing in the process.

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Buying physical for consoles is pretty much always cheaper except for occasionally the flash sales that throw up some good deals. But in general physical is cheaper, even more so if you buy used.

You say how they haven't gone to digital is beyond you, yet already multiple examples posted in this thread before you said that. Wake up, not everyone is you.

Cheaper.
Data caps.
Internet speed.
People running out of hdd space.
People want to collect.
Sharing games.
Trading in.

All entirely valid reasons for many people, even if some don't apply to everyone.

You see "no reasonable argument" let's start with the fact it is cheaper, seems like the ultimate reasonable argument to me.

In my country Uncharted 4 is 120 on PSN, I got it in store for 89.

For me personally there's two main benefits to physical. That is the first, the ability to on sell is the second. Once I finish Uncharted I'll sell it second hand for 60 or so like I have with so many other games before it. Ultimately I'll end up having paid about 30 for the game once I get that money back instead of 120.

Problem is, you admit yourself you don't know enough about consoles to comment but do so anyway and make incorrect comments such as your comments about pricing in the process.

Perhaps what I am saying is how consoles have not gone completely digital is beyond me. It is not like a PS4 or Xbone could not put in a several TB+ drives (hard drive space is cheap), I would bet that reselling/sharing will be gone soon, I get the collecting thing - but that is such a small % of people companies would not care - Data caps? I don't know if that is really such an issue (perhaps for some) and internet speed - well, for an extra day to wait as it downloads is not the end of the world (and with pre-loading it is not an issue anyhow). Again, other than a collector, I do not see the appeal or want of having stacks of DVDs, gameboxes and garbage everywhere that can be easily not being needed.

You are correct though; I do not know much about consoles, just voicing my opinion as what these forums are for, but I would bet in 5 years physical media will be dead, just another opinion. You are not going to change my opinion and I am not going to change yours, I just do not get it.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Even if you want to ignore some people's desires to display their game cases, and that most people can't exceed their data cap without severe monetary penalties, the ability to trade in a game for up to close to half of its initial price isn't reasonable?

Digital pricing has no advantage over physical pricing at this point on console.

Depends on how you do things, but with patience you can completely invalidate that statement. What you say is valid if you need to buy new games at launch, but if you can wait a year or two prices can get much cheaper on digital. They'll be cheaper used too, but then you have a problem of supply.

Really though it's kind of apples & oranges if you're talking PC vs console. PC has a far better digital marketplace than console, but on console that same marketplace is severely hampered by the existence of the physical market place. Console makers and pubishers still need retailers so they're not going give a different price for digital.

Also you mention people wanting to display their game cases, if you're doing that then you completely invalidate the trade in benefit. Personally that's it stopped for me, used to trade in lots as a kid but after high school I became much more interested in holding onto and collecting my games. After that trading in was no longer an option.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Depends on how you do things, but with patience you can completely invalidate that statement. What you say is valid if you need to buy new games at launch, but if you can wait a year or two prices can get much cheaper on digital. They'll be cheaper used too, but then you have a problem of supply.

Oh, absolutely talking about AAA titles at launch. Physical or digital, games will always be cheaper if you wait.

Really though it's kind of apples & oranges if you're talking PC vs console. PC has a far better digital marketplace than console, but on console that same marketplace is severely hampered by the existence of the physical market place. Console makers and pubishers still need retailers so they're not going give a different price for digital.

Absolutely. I'm all digital on PC, because there is no real advantage I can see.

PC also has a physical market place, though.

If they want to make digital the method of choice going forward, they need a way to make it competitive with physical. Right now, physical tends to have the advantage which is why so many people still prefer it.

Also you mention people wanting to display their game cases, if you're doing that then you completely invalidate the trade in benefit. Personally that's it stopped for me, used to trade in lots as a kid but after high school I became much more interested in holding onto and collecting my games. After that trading in was no longer an option.

Yeah, that's obviously two separate scenarios and types of people. Trade ins are most valuable for those who cycle through a lot of games and don't intend on keeping them after they've played them.

Although that said, there is still a potential financial advantage to trading in a game and picking it up again later down the line once the prices have come down significantly.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I prefer buying a hard copy of a game and owning it rather than paying for a license to download a game. To each their own though.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Perhaps what I am saying is how consoles have not gone completely digital is beyond me. It is not like a PS4 or Xbone could not put in a several TB+ drives (hard drive space is cheap), I would bet that reselling/sharing will be gone soon, I get the collecting thing - but that is such a small % of people companies would not care - Data caps? I don't know if that is really such an issue (perhaps for some) and internet speed - well, for an extra day to wait as it downloads is not the end of the world (and with pre-loading it is not an issue anyhow). Again, other than a collector, I do not see the appeal or want of having stacks of DVDs, gameboxes and garbage everywhere that can be easily not being needed.

You are correct though; I do not know much about consoles, just voicing my opinion as what these forums are for, but I would bet in 5 years physical media will be dead, just another opinion. You are not going to change my opinion and I am not going to change yours, I just do not get it.

You've conveniently glossed over the fact that it is cheaper to buy physically on console which as I pointed out is the most valid point of all. What could be more valid than spending less money. I even provided a real life example for right now.

All the points raised are valid, you questioning them doesn't change that. Not everyone has the same internet situation you do but it seems evident you're incapable of putting yourself in a situation of anybody but your own when thinking about this topic.

The difference is your opinion is stemmed in ignorance and you just bury your head in the sand from all the people who know these situations better than you while openly conceding you don't actually know much about it and ignoring the points you don't have a weak response for by saying "well it's my opinion". Sorry but something like it being cheaper to buy physically is a fact. Your "opinion" doesn't negate more cash in my wallet.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
if I'm spending 80 dollars on a game, you better believe I'm getting a physical copy

This is what I do not understand (and to each their own), but why? Do you think Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Valve are going to go broke and not allow you to have your games? Is it to display (this is the only argument I can understand a bit - but with a wife, kids and visitors all of it ends up in a closet for most anyhow)? I honestly am at a loss to understand. Trade in? like has been said takes collectors out of the equation.

Like was said - to each their own - but again I just do not get it.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
You've conveniently glossed over the fact that it is cheaper to buy physically on console which as I pointed out is the most valid point of all. What could be more valid than spending less money. I even provided a real life example for right now.

All the points raised are valid, you questioning them doesn't change that. Not everyone has the same internet situation you do but it seems evident you're incapable of putting yourself in a situation of anybody but your own when thinking about this topic.

The difference is your opinion is stemmed in ignorance and you just bury your head in the sand from all the people who know these situations better than you while openly conceding you don't actually know much about it and ignoring the points you don't have a weak response for by saying "well it's my opinion". Sorry but something like it being cheaper to buy physically is a fact. Your "opinion" doesn't negate more cash in my wallet.

But there is no reason that physical should be less expensive than digital. If console people asked/demanded a proper digital platform the games would/could become cheaper. The hate that consoles had when MS tried to go digital makes no sense. I get they are sometimes cheaper sometimes (that makes sense and why they are bought), but my point is why anyone would want all that crap around their house (collectors I can see) when there is a better option. Why does the console universe not go digital?

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
But there is no reason that physical should be less expensive than digital. If console people asked/demanded a proper digital platform the games would/could become cheaper. The hate that consoles had when MS tried to go digital makes no sense. I get they are sometimes cheaper sometimes (that makes sense and why they are bought), but my point is why anyone would want all that crap around their house (collectors I can see) when there is a better option. Why does the console universe not go digital?

Physical IS cheaper than digital for consumers right now.

That is the fact of the matter.

So, while you try to wrap your head around why anyone would physical, there's the most easy to comprehend point.

Do you like spending more or less money on things?

I for one like spending less money on things if I can.

However, even if physical and digital were both the same in this example of me buying Uncharted. I'd still buy physical because I know as soon as I finish the game I can flick it off and make back half if not more of what I paid for it.

Again because I, like most people in the world, prefer to have more money.

It isn't that they are cheaper "sometimes" they are basically always cheaper aside from rare online sales that are few and far between. For regular everyday consumption, physical is cheaper.

The hate about MS trying to go digital stemmed around the idea of it being "always on" thus entirely dependent on the internet to play but again you're going to have to develop the ability to put yourself in the shoes of someone else. Besides that anyone is subject to the possibility of their internet going out. The issues of MS wanting to go online only wasn't an uproar against digital media.

Besides that, I wouldn't really label some game cases as "all that crap". Mine go neatly in my TV cabinet, it isn't a big deal in the slightest.

You are correct there's no reason that physical should be cheaper, but it is. Why it is has nothing to do with peoples decision to go buy a physical copy and has everything to do with the people who make those decisions. At this stage your point has divulged into console people should start some mass uprising to force that to change which is just ridiculous.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Also further to the point about dial up above by Unholy Diver, not only would downloading a big release take much longer than you think it would as Diver said, as far as I know you can't connect a PS4 to dial up anyway, I don't know about the Xbox but I assume it is the same. So digital is not an option for these people.

Let me guess, you think these people should move elsewhere or not have a console if they can't have good internet or something along those lines?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
And as the years pass by, getting a digital copy of a game isn't exactly easy. I could walk into EB Games and find a game in the bargain bin from years ago for cheap, search for it on PSN and it doesn't exist.

Captain America on PS3 for example. Wanted it forever, it's not on PSN, and seemingly rare because on ebay people sell it for 40+, walked into EB and finally found a copy at $9.99. Value of physical games will go up as they become less available in a niche market. Not every title is available online, or they will still have an absurd price for a 10 year old game.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Saying "I just do not get it" over and over when presented with valid reasons doesn't really lead to productive chatter

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Well, that's just it. If they wanted to go all digital, they need something to make the consumer want it...otherwise, they get negative feedback.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Came in just to say that. It fills me with memories of being a kid, and going to packed shopping malls. Suncoast video, KB toys, Tower records, Babbage's...

6011789694_9fb2f848b2_b.jpg

Although, I think most of the actual Babbage's and EB's were converted into Gamestop (and most of the time, I'm surprised they're still in business).
EB in malls is still a packed house. They are watered down though. They will slowly close down but it will take 15 years

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Digital copies are usually never discounted/cheap and you only get so much space on your hard drive. If they went purely digital and/or made it impossible to play used games then I'd probably rarely play anymore.

Ex: right now I can go onto Amazon.com and get Arkham Knight for $16. If I go to the Xbox store it's somewhere around $50-$60 and I get no physical copy I can trade into Game Stop. I wait for a lot of these campaign focused games to drop in price all the time. It'd. W ridiculous for me to shill out $65 for a new game that I can really only play once or twice and then just be stuck with a digital copy of it.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Saying "I just do not get it" over and over when presented with valid reasons doesn't really lead to productive chatter

The only valid argument I've seen is "But I like physical copies" which is a perfectly fine argument, but this idea that a small minority of people who live in remote areas or don't have high-speed internet is not valid. Holding back a more efficient and convenient delivery system because some people don't have the ability to use it is ridiculous. It hasn't happened in other mediums and it won't happen in gaming.

Also, the point about hard copies being cheaper than digital is not accurate. You guys are simply comparing the xbox/PS store to used games at EB. What about steam? what about EA access? The point is digital copies will be cheaper when the industry decides to embrace a delivery digital system. It hasn't happened yet because the demand isn't there, but it is well under way and it will happen whether you want it or not.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And as the years pass by, getting a digital copy of a game isn't exactly easy. I could walk into EB Games and find a game in the bargain bin from years ago for cheap, search for it on PSN and it doesn't exist.

Captain America on PS3 for example. Wanted it forever, it's not on PSN, and seemingly rare because on ebay people sell it for 40+, walked into EB and finally found a copy at $9.99. Value of physical games will go up as they become less available in a niche market. Not every title is available online, or they will still have an absurd price for a 10 year old game.

That's a rather unreliable method to get a particular game. I used to always browse the used game section up till the PS2 era, some games are readily available but others are just luck of the draw. Now it's great when you can get the game, like for the dozens of times I browsed PS2 games at an EB over the years I think I came across Suikoden III only once, and picked it up on the spot. Didn't have the same luck for Suikoden V, and ended up having to pick that up off ebay. Luckily it wasn't a 'collectors item'.

In these cases it's much better to just have an expansive and properly priced digital market in place. Unfortunately for said market place the decision is up to the individual publishers. I mentioned Suikoden above, they're owned by Konami who have gone to **** and pretty much hate their video games. So don't expect those classics to appear on the PSN.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The only valid argument I've seen is "But I like physical copies" which is a perfectly fine argument, but this idea that a small minority of people who live in remote areas or don't have high-speed internet is not valid. Holding back a more efficient and convenient delivery system because some people don't have the ability to use it is ridiculous. It hasn't happened in other mediums and it won't happen in gaming.

Also, the point about hard copies being cheaper than digital is not accurate. You guys are simply comparing the xbox/PS store to used games at EB. What about steam? what about EA access? The point is digital copies will be cheaper when the industry decides to embrace a delivery digital system. It hasn't happened yet because the demand isn't there, but it is well under way and it will happen whether you want it or not.

There's a very large number of people who don't have high speed internet. The world also exists beyond North America FYI. Further to that, digital distribution isn't being held back, it's readily available for these platforms. Film and Music both still offer both platforms as well.

We're talking about consoles, the likes of Steam, GOG etc are not relevant in that discussion. When it comes to PC gaming the pro physical argument for any reason other than I like to have the disk to display/collect/etc was diminished long ago. Also no, we aren't comparing online prices to used games at EB. PSN pricing is more expensive than buying a physical copy new. That isn't "inaccurate" it's fact. You then even turn around and concede yourself "digital copies will be cheaper when. Exactly. They aren't right now.

Part of the reason the demand isn't there is because there's not a compelling reason to make that demand. Digital distribution SHOULD be cheaper because it is cheaper to produce. It isn't. Right now physical is cheaper and you have resale value. Then there's many other circumstantial issues that are valid reasons too but those two aren't circumstantial and apply to everyone. Every reasonable can understand why people select an option that is cheaper and gives you the chance to get some of your money back. The demand for digital will increase when that can be offset. The place to start with that is at the very least making digital the cheaper choice. There is no valid reason why digital should cost more than physical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
I don't even understand why there has to be an argument. Do whatever works for you and who cares what the next guy does.

Me personally, if I am buying day 1, I usually get it on the PS store because 1. I can have it start downloading and installing all the files, patch, etc. from my phone while I'm at work and it's ready to play when I get home and 2. no tax, so it's actually cheaper (can only speak for USA) and 3. I usually hang onto games til they aren't worth much on trade (dlc's, 2nd playthrough, etc).

If it's something I wait to buy, then I will weigh my options. Is there a PS Store sale (cuz I'm lazy)? Then I will do a quick online check to see if it's used cheaper or even available at GS, amazon, BB, whatever. Also, sometimes I don't care if I have to pay a few bucks more on the PS store because sometimes it's a rainy Saturday and I just want something new to play and don't want to wait for it to ship.

I do like that I don't have to worry about scratching the disk or Mario forbid my PS4 stops reading disks all together with a DDL.

It doesn't have to be a dick measuring contest though. They both have their pros and cons and as long as what you do works for you then so be it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

This statement essentially amounts to "this situation doesn't apply to me, so it's not a valid argument". Like, come on buddy... at least try to understand that everyone's situation is different.

Also, who is "holding back" the digital platform? It's there, and it works. You have the choice.

The point is digital copies will be cheaper when the industry decides to embrace a delivery digital system. It hasn't happened yet because the demand isn't there, but it is well under way and it will happen whether you want it or not.

Maybe it will be one day, but why would you embrace something today that is inherently worse value-wise on the hope that one day it'll be as good? That's anti-consumer bull ****.

If they wanted to push digital, they'd make it more worth our while. That's how you sell people things, in general.

Personally, I'll embrace digital on console wholeheartedly the day they make it worth it compared to physical. Already did it on PC, because there digital tends to have the advantages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad