Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Wally Harris)

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
The one time that I met Milt was when I was refereeing in the Manitoba Jr. Hockey League back in the early 1960s. I was going to ref a game in Brandon and before leaving Winnipeg I received a call from Dallis Beck who was a reporter for the Winnipeg Tribune. He heard that I was going to Brandon to ref the game and told me that Milt Schmidt was in town and was going to Brandon to scout a player and would I give them a ride. Like I was going to say no.

Well, I had Milt Schmidt sitting beside me in the car for 2 1/2 hours going to Brandon and 2 1/2 hours back to Winnipeg. Lots of hockey talk and real nice and interesting guy.

May he rest in peace.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It broke Milt's heart when he was ousted as GM in 1972 so Harry Sinden could return and it was all the doing of Alan Eagleson.

meQJQSR.jpg

6lWcwcp.jpg

Milt would then leave the Bruins as Red Auerbach hooked him up with the new NHL team in Washington where he was GM and later coach. Unfortunately the team that Milt assembled is considered the worst in NHL history.

milt-schmidt-coaching-the-caps.jpg

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...e-season-the-capitals-begged-the-nhl-for-help

An SOS has been sounded to the various teams in the NHL. The Washington Capitals need help. GM Milt Schmidt is practically begging.
Schmidt went to the meeting of NHL GMs last Monday in Chicago and when league matters were concluded, he jumped up to conduct some “other business.†His message was brief:

“Look, for the good of the whole league, the Washington franchise could use some help. Many of you have players sitting in the stands who could help in Washington. Our team is willing to deal a first round draft choice in return." Schmidt gained four immediate responses. Buffalo, St. Louis, Atlanta and the New York Islanders submitted a list of players that they might deal for Washington’s first amateur draft pick in 1975.

“At least I have some names,†Schmidt said. “There is no way we can sit tight. If we are unable to motivate the players on our roster, we’ll have to make moves.â€

The Capitals completed the first fifth of their schedule with a 1-15-2 record. Projecting the record through the entire 80-game schedule makes for a very long winter and a 5-65-10 record. That’s tough for anyone to stomach, particularly Schmidt, who came to Washington from Boston and the Bruins.

Milt left Washington and returned to Boston and Jeremy Jacobs took care of him. Harry did not want Milt in hockey ops so Jacobs made Milt the manager of the Boards and Blades Club in the old Garden and kept that job until the Garden closed in 1995.

Harry and Milt despised each other. When the Bruins started the tradition of retired numbers with the Orr ceremony in 1979 they also put up banners for Eddie Shore, Lionel Hitchman and Dit Clapper but not Milt.

The following year they retired Johnny Bucyk's number but he refused to take part in a ceremony unless Milt's number was in the rafters as well. So with no fanfare number #15 was hung.

Milt would finally get his night in 2010 only after Harry was long gone.That was the season we finally won the Cup. Coincidence? I think not.

milt_litho.jpg

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I was lucky enough to meet Milt about 8 years ago when were both waiting for our cars to be serviced. He was about 90 then and full of vitality. He seemed pleased that I recognized him and he told me many of his stories. He was a fine gentleman and generally a very positive guy. One thing that did tick him off was when the Bruins wouldn't give him more money in his late days as a player. They told him that they would look after him by making him the coach when he retired. This they did but they also cut his salary so he was even making less as a coach than he was as a player.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I always imagined Milt Schmidt as a player as a Mark Messier or possibly a Bryan Trottier.

Anyone with more knowledge of the early days agree with that? Or are there other comparables?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I always imagined Milt Schmidt as a player as a Mark Messier or possibly a Bryan Trottier.

Anyone with more knowledge of the early days agree with that? Or are there other comparables?

Yeah those are good comparables, a bit of Wendel Clark thrown in for good measure. Of the 3 of them on the famous Kraut Line of Woody Dumart & Bobby Bauer Milt Schmidt was the most aggressive and he paid the price. Broken jaw, separated ribs, both knee's torpedoed (some notorious check's by Bashin Bill Barilko in particular). Played with & through a lot of pain through the latter part of his career.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah thats more sad news, Kenny Wharram. Who could ever forget him on the fabulous Scooter Line with Mikita & Mohns. Rather an unsung player overshadowed as he was by his linemate & best friend off the ice in Stan Mikita and both overshadowed by Bobby Hull. It was many a night, game & series that the Scooter line won for Chicago, and without Wharram's speed & puck savvy, never wouldve happened. Just a terrific player, highly entertaining, clean. Real Gentleman that one.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
St. Louis Blues tweeted that all-time minus leader Bob Stewart has passed away at 66. Played for Bruins, Golden Seals, Barons, Blues and Penguins.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
St. Louis Blues tweeted that all-time minus leader Bob Stewart has passed away at 66. Played for Bruins, Golden Seals, Barons, Blues and Penguins.

The flags are at half-mast for Captain Stewie here at Casa Sealsfan. Rugged stay-at-home backliner who wasn't afraid to drop the gloves. I was at the Coliseum Oct. 28, 1974 to see his point blast get past Billy Smith for the only goal in a 10-1 debacle, the game where I left the arena at 7-1 and sat outside in the parking lot slumped against a lamppost for the remainder of the game. 66 is too young to go...:(
s-bob-stewart-of-the-california-golden-seals-awaits-face-off-action-picture-id80217953

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Apparently, I saw two Bob Stewart goals at the Coliseum! I was also at the Dec. 11, 1973 game and he scored a powerplay goal in the first period. Seals let a lead get away and it was tied 3-3 after two but those @#$%& Islanders scored 3 in the third period.

Lest we forget Ed Dyck, he had 3 seasons as a backup for the early Canucks, in an era when they never had any goaltenders of note.

712d678d3f02424769dc19624e480c60.jpg

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...community-reacts-mike-ilitchs-death/97766776/

Business and political leaders in metro Detroit Friday night offered praise and reflection on Mike Ilitch's contributions to the community over the decades.

Ilitch, the Wings and Tigers owner who founded the Little Caesars Pizza empire, died Friday at the age of 87.

"He's been one of the giants of southeast Michigan. He loved Detroit," said U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Dearborn. "He's helped make Michigan the pizza capital of the country, and he's been the heart and soul of Detroit with both the Tigers and the Red Wings. It's a huge loss for all of us."

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I went to the 1987 draft in Detroit and was pleased when I heard it was free pizza throughout, thanks to Mr Ilitch. (was enjoying mine a few seats over from Marcel Dionne).

Hire the best people and let them do their job, the Wings sure turned things around under his ownership.

Sad to hear of the passing of a legendary hockey owner.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Oh dear, thats a shame, Gary Doak.... epitomized the Bruins work ethic, sacrificing life & limb for the team, never say die, really lively player considering he was essentially a stay-at-home defenceman. And he really did pay the price physically & mentally, list of career injuries just unbelievable. Broken legs, collarbones, cheekbones.... he probably had every bone in his body broken at one time or another & some twice, three times. Terrific shot blocker however, he did get it right in the face on several occasions. A guy who was never afraid to pay whatever price required or requested.

RIP

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oh dear, thats a shame, Gary Doak.... epitomized the Bruins work ethic, sacrificing life & limb for the team, never say die, really lively player considering he was essentially a stay-at-home defenceman. And he really did pay the price physically & mentally, list of career injuries just unbelievable. Broken legs, collarbones, cheekbones.... he probably had every bone in his body broken at one time or another & some twice, three times. Terrific shot blocker however, he did get it right in the face on several occasions. A guy who was never afraid to pay whatever price required or requested.

RIP

Couldnt say it any better.

If there ever was a blue collar hockey player it was Doak. Also an oustanding teamate. He'd have your back. Even if it knowingly meant he was going to take a beating.

RIP.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
First player the Canucks selected in the expansion draft when they joined in 1970.

... yeah. Pat Quinn said he'd helped him out quite a bit. Mustve been tough going from a Stanley Cup winning team in 1970 to an Expansion Team like that.... and in fact for the next few years Doak was on the move quite a bit. Traded to the Rangers, who then traded him back to Detroit where he'd started his pro career, having been property of the Wings & playing his Jr. for the Hamilton Red Wings of the OHA.... then traded yet again, back to Boston where he played another 8yrs and change.... He then went on to serve as an Assistant Coach in Boston for 5yrs (with Gerry Cheevers), then spent a couple of seasons as Head Coach for the UMass Minutemen.... Originally from Goderich Ontario, lovely little town on the shores of Lake Huron & a great place to grow up for a hockey loving kid. Albert Dewsbury & Jack Price, also NHL Defencemen from there, along with Father David Bauer of St. Mikes fame & later founder of the Canadian National Team which was based out of UBC in Vancouver.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Originally from Goderich Ontario, lovely little town on the shores of Lake Huron & a great place to grow up for a hockey loving kid. Albert Dewsbury & Jack Price, also NHL Defencemen from there, along with Father David Bauer of St. Mikes fame & later founder of the Canadian National Team which was based out of UBC in Vancouver.

I refereed a game in the Young Canada Pee Wee Hockey Tournament in 1958 when Gary played for the Goderich pee wee team. I went back to Goderich in 1999 when they celebrated the 50th anniversary of the tournament and I got to meet and spend some quality time with him.

Larry Jeffrey is also from Goderich. Great town!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad