In Memoriam Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Ron Ellis)

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
RIP Guy Rousseau, who passed away on November 23rd. Played four games with the Canadiens

Originally from Montreal, Quebec, left-winger Guy Rousseau signed a contract with the Canadiens on Jul. 20, 1955. In his four games with the Habs, divided over two seasons, Rousseau registered a single assist. His brothers Roland and Robert were both also one-time members of the Canadiens.

http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/player/Guy-Rousseau

The Royals traded Rousseau to QHL's Chicoutimi Sagueneens where he spent the 1957-58 season, and was a QHL First Team All-Star before joining the AHL's Rochester Americans in 1958. Rousseau spent three years with Rochester, while having his NHL rights traded to Toronto in the summer of 1960.

Following his three years in Rochester, Toronto (Rochester-AHL) traded Rousseau to Montreal (Quebec-AHL) during the off season. Rousseau played two seasons with the AHL's Quebec Aces before joining the AHL's Cleveland Barons for the 1963-64 season.

Rousseau returned to the Aces in 1964-65 before joining the Quebec Senior Hockey League the following year where he spent four seasons; 1965-66 in Sherbrooke and 1966-1969 in St-Hyacinthe.

In 1969, Guy Rousseau was suspended for life by the Quebec Amateur Hockey Association for assaulting referee Jim Kierans during a QSHL game vs. the Ottawa Nationals.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14185

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Marek Svatos' cause of death revealed to be a drug overdose. Sad.

According to an autopsy report released Monday, the 34-year-old had several drugs in his system at the time of his death on Nov. 5, including anti-anxiety medication and painkillers. It also said that drug paraphernalia was found near him at his home in the suburban Denver city of Lone Tree.

The Douglas County coroner's office concluded he died of "combined drug intoxication" but officials couldn't determine whether it was accidental or not.

The report noted that Svatos reportedly had a history of using heroin, had had suicidal thoughts and had recently experienced "life stressors" and legal issues.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Some more on Benny Woit.
As a Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame inductee:
http://www.nwosportshalloffame.com/inductees/inductee.aspx?id=154

For those on Facebook some earlier photos here in an album of the NWO Sports Hall of Fame page:
https://www.facebook.com/Northwestern-Ontario-Sports-Hall-of-Fame-259816551287/photos/?tab=album&album_id=420478236287

bit more information and a few other photos can be found on that page by searching "Woit" on that page:
https://www.facebook.com/Northwestern-Ontario-Sports-Hall-of-Fame-259816551287/

**Edit**
Diane Imrie (of the NWO Sports Hall of Fame) did an article on Woit that was in the local paper December 22nd.
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/sports/local_sports/massaro-woit-were-icons-in-their-respective-sports/article_16b3d0f0-c800-11e6-8c85-d733b729743a.html

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Some more on Benny Woit.

Sad. RIP. He was a player from your knick of the woods if Im not mistaken, Thunder Bay & environs, standout Junior, Defenceman. Made it to The Show with Detroit after also playing for St. Mikes (unusual for the era that he wasnt Leaf property, rather like Red Kelly)... My impression of his career was that he literally had a Red Wing stamped on his Soul and when traded to Chicago, couldnt come to grips, lost heart. Thereafter, fairly lengthy career in the minors where he called the shots, personal happiness more important than being treated as someone else's chattel. Dont know about you, but I have a lot of respect for that. Its a name, story oft repeated by others and one I do well recall, one of lifes lessons heard at a young age. Monogamously loyal. I dont see fault with that. Impressive.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

As well as coaching and fathering hockey players, Bill Dineen was a pretty good hockey player himself. Even though he had only 5 NHL seasons, he had a lengthy pro career. He made the NHL directly from junior and scored 17 goals his rookie season. Seventeen goals was a damn good season in53-54. He got some Calder support along with another rookie in 53-54 named Beliveau.

I read somewhere that he had a leg injury early in his career and kept playing through it. These were the days of the 6 team NHL where you played while injured to keep your job.And don't forget, Jack Adams was in charge of that Detroit team. Apparently that did some permanent damage and shortened his NHL career.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As well as coaching and fathering hockey players, Bill Dineen was a pretty good hockey player himself. Even though he had only 5 NHL seasons, he had a lengthy pro career. He made the NHL directly from junior and scored 17 goals his rookie season. Seventeen goals was a damn good season in53-54. He got some Calder support along with another rookie in 53-54 named Beliveau.

I read somewhere that he had a leg injury early in his career and kept playing through it. These were the days of the 6 team NHL where you played while injured to keep your job.And don't forget, Jack Adams was in charge of that Detroit team. Apparently that did some permanent damage and shortened his NHL career.

... here actually is a more definitive bio on Bill Dineen pappy... rather than injury, seems his being Benched by Jack Adams when he was on-pace to hit 20+ goals and thus be eligible for a "$6000 bonus" really messed his head up, took the wind right out of his sails, wasnt the same player thereafter, eventually traded to Chicago followed by an outstanding 13yr Minor-Pro career. His father, Matt Dineen - also an outstanding player with McGill turned down an offer from the Montreal Maroons to turn pro. Education, real-life job more important. Money back then as in his Son Bill's era just not great, so many excellent Junior & Senior, University players forgoing the opportunity to play professional hockey............. www.redwingslegends.blogspot.ca/2012/01/bill-dineen.html

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
... here actually is a more definitive bio on Bill Dineen pappy... rather than injury, seems his being Benched by Jack Adams when he was on-pace to hit 20+ goals and thus be eligible for a "$6000 bonus" really messed his head up, took the wind right out of his sails, wasnt the same player thereafter, eventually traded to Chicago followed by an outstanding 13yr Minor-Pro career. His father, Matt Dineen - also an outstanding player with McGill turned down an offer from the Montreal Maroons to turn pro. Education, real-life job more important. Money back then as in his Son Bill's era just not great, so many excellent Junior & Senior, University players forgoing the opportunity to play professional hockey............. www.redwingslegends.blogspot.ca/2012/01/bill-dineen.html
Yeh, I remember the benching & the lost bonus was also in the article I read but I am pretty sure it was playing injured that waylaid his NHL career. Adams was infamous for doing stuff like that. Did it to Red Kelly also. Then tried to trade Kelly to New York when Red complained publicly.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
According to Boston radio, Milt Schmidt has passed away. :(

Just saw this on the main boards as well.

Making it to 98 is pretty darn good.

Really like seeing and reading his interviews. Apparently he really liked watching Patrice Bergeron most recently which makes sense since both of them are the great two-way center types..

RIP Milt.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Jeez. Milt Schmidt. Couldn't help like the guy if you ever saw five seconds of an interview with him. Loved him on Legends of Hockey: I'd do it all again! Let's go!

So now who would be the oldest living NHLer?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Just a Great Gentleman. Gone but never forgotten. RIP Milt. More than earned it.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Jeez. Milt Schmidt. Couldn't help like the guy if you ever saw five seconds of an interview with him. Loved him on Legends of Hockey: I'd do it all again! Let's go!

So now who would be the oldest living NHLer?

Johnny Bower?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Wow, that's really, really disturbing.

A couple of minutes ago, for some reason, I remembered Habs' legends who died in recent years (including Elmer Lach). I recalled that Schmidt was born on the same year (1918) as Lach but had outlived him.

So I googled his name to find out if he was still alive. Turns out he just died. Like, hours ago.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wow, that's really, really disturbing.

A couple of minutes ago, for some reason, I remembered Habs' legends who died in recent years (including Elmer Lach). I recalled that Schmidt was born on the same year (1918) as Lach but had outlived him.

So I googled his name to find out if he was still alive. Turns out he just died. Like, hours ago.

Interesting, sounds like you tripped into the Noosphere, a phenomena that many here may have experienced at one time or another (with or without the aid of psychedelics). Concept being that in addition to the earth's Biosphere & Geosphere theres also a Noosphere, a web, reservoir of collective human consciousness & thought that our subconscious sometimes taps into & channels.... then again Passchendaele, maybe just an inexplicable, unlawful & random coincidence yes?... as G.K. Chesteron once opined.... coincidences are just spiritual puns. :squint:

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I remember as a kid the famous lines names mentioned...

The Punch Line
The Scooter Line
The Production Line
The Kid Line

The Kraut Line

And we knew the names even if we hadn't seen them play.

Sad to hear the news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad