In Memoriam Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Ron Ellis)

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Still remember watching on TV the night Lou Fontinato was injured against the Rangers. Bill Head, the stretcher, the silence of the crowd and the players faces.

Also the courage shown by Lou thru the initial days when survival was an issue, thru healing, rehab, the relief that a fairly normal life was possible.

RIP

That is actually on YouTube somewhere. The actual impact. Frightening.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Lou Fontinato

Too bad Louie will always be mainly remembered for beating he took from Howe. From what I could gather he was a pretty decent D-man though, if not a little out of control? Maybe Canadiens1958 or someone who remembers that far back can comment? (I only go back to the late '60s ;))

Raw, unpolished, fearless. Many similarities with Ted Harris who had the benefit of being mentored by Eddie Shore for a number of seasons, in Springfield before entering the NHL.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
It's because of Bob Daileys career ending injury that no touch icing came into play.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It's because of Bob Daileys career ending injury that no touch icing came into play.
The Flyers had 2 separate d-men sustain gruesome career ending injuries on an icing call within a couple of seasons.

Daily fractured his ankle.
Joe Watson a couple seasons earlier had the most horrific icing injury I've ever seen

"Just 16 games into his first campaign, while playing against St. Louis, Watson chased a loose puck near the end of the ice. The Blues' Wayne Babych checked him against the boards, leaving the fallen rearguard with the worst broken leg in NHL history. His thighbone was shattered into 14 pieces and his kneecap was split in two. Watson's career on ice was over. He was lucky to escape with only a permanently disabled leg."

http://www.hhof.com/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14650

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Flyers had 2 separate d-men sustain gruesome career ending injuries on an icing call within a couple of seasons.

Daily fractured his ankle.
Joe Watson a couple seasons earlier had the most horrific icing injury I've ever seen

"Just 16 games into his first campaign, while playing against St. Louis, Watson chased a loose puck near the end of the ice. The Blues' Wayne Babych checked him against the boards, leaving the fallen rearguard with the worst broken leg in NHL history. His thighbone was shattered into 14 pieces and his kneecap was split in two. Watson's career on ice was over. He was lucky to escape with only a permanently disabled leg."

http://www.hhof.com/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14650

I knew him more as a canuck

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Patrick Coté (Former Predators, Stars, Oilers) apparently passed away yesterday in a shooting in jail.

(FRENCH)

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016...ur-le-detenu-et-ancien-de-la-lnh-patrick-cote

EDIT : UNCONFIRMED.

Confirmed that he was shot in jail by a warden who was trying to intervene in a fight between two inmates, and that he was hospitalized. The tweet strongly implies that Coté was killed (use of "abattu", which should mean death), but nobody confirmed yet.

I hate media people with an insufficient grasp of language.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ over 24hrs later & still unconfirmed. Cote' serving a 30mnth sentence for 2 bank robberies in PQ.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
One of the most talented hockey players in the history of Finland. He was also first Finn to ever play in the NHL.

RIP

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Patrick Coté (Former Predators, Stars, Oilers) apparently passed away yesterday in a shooting in jail.

(FRENCH)

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016...ur-le-detenu-et-ancien-de-la-lnh-patrick-cote

EDIT : UNCONFIRMED.

Confirmed that he was shot in jail by a warden who was trying to intervene in a fight between two inmates, and that he was hospitalized. The tweet strongly implies that Coté was killed (use of "abattu", which should mean death), but nobody confirmed yet.

I hate media people with an insufficient grasp of language.

Has there been any more on this?

Its very strange that he was 'shot'... prison guards are not armed...

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Has there been any more on this?

Its very strange that he was 'shot'... prison guards are not armed...

Radio-Canada interviewed his father Gilles Côté a few days ago.
According to Gilles Côté, the hospital told him that Patrick Côté had a punctured long after having been shot in the back. He was kept in an artificial coma, but his injury was not life threatening.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
October 21:

000305883.jpg

George Konik, 79

3d9f9cdf0a50eae759916f89395354c8.jpg

Bob McCord, 82

September 29:
GB014.jpg

Gilles Dube, 89

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I heard svatos may have been an accidental overdose
After a 32-goal 50-point rookie season in Colorado, some "fans" OD'd on him. He went in the all-time draft "minor league' draft that summer, against pretty awesome players based sole only his PROJECTED performance (a no-no on the ATD board).

Liked the youngum:

cut.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad