Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Wally Harris)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Always cool when you see father & son or even multi-generational players popping up from the same family. Rather rare in Goaltending of course, just the numbers alone tend to preclude it happening with the same frequency as skaters but ya... the Riggins were the 2nd of 3 fathers & sons who went on to play in the NHL, preceded by Sam & Pete LoPresti, succeeded by Ron Grahame Sr & Jr.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Best known for being a scoring sensation in the WHL through the 60's with Calgary, LA & Portland. Played for Boston, claimed on Waivers by Chicago but only appeared in 2 games during the 1960 semi's. Legend has it that he made his career choice to become a pro hockey player one fateful day just moments before signing on as a Recruit with the RCMP. Spent nearly 20yrs in the game, 5 leagues.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :( yeah. Though not exactly a star (though he was to me), Hodge was one of my favorites........ when watching
HNIC as a kid in Toronto, was always disappointed when Worsley got the Start's for Montreal. Entertaining, solid Goaltender.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Hodge was one of the three goalies to play for the first-year Canucks, alongside George Gardiner and Dunc Wilson. Hodge won most of the teams games that year, but due to a contract dispute he opted to retire than rejoin the team the next season. That would become the Canucks worst season ever, with just 48 points, and have to think had Hodge been around they may have been able to do slightly better.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
R.I.P. Charlie Hodge.

One of the classic organizational goalies from the fifties and sixties. Back-up who worked his way into a starting role for a while. Has a street named after him.

Great Dave Stubbs story about Charlie from a few years ago. in the following:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/former-habs-goalie-charlie-hodge-dies-at-age-82

Obscure Charlie Hodge fact, was also an Olympic quality rower in the early fifties.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I'm guessing that Hodge in his era may have been no worse than the sixth-best goalie in the world, but the system made him a minor leaguer.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Great, great player.
RIP

And Bruins youth think they make bad trades now..... Mike 'Shakey ' Walton.

geesh.

February 1, 1971: Traded to Philadelphia by Boston with Danny Schock for Mike Walton, February 1, 1971.

“With the passing of Rick MacLeish, the Flyers have lost one of their legends,†Flyers president Paul Holmgren said in a statement. “A good father, grandfather, teammate and friend, Rick will be missed by all who were fortunate to come and know him over the years. His happy and friendly demeanor was front and center everywhere Rick went. Today, our thoughts and prayers are with Rick’s wife, Charlene, his daughters, Danielle and Brianna along with his grandchildren. May he rest in peace.â€

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ng_Flyer__dies_at_66.html#2SZjyleRBRw140hM.99

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I'll quote myself from a different thread on this forum from May 11th.

I think MacLeish was just too slick to be the first name that pops into people's heads when they're thinking about the Broad Street Bullies. 'Hawk' being just a bit too avian when you line it up with 'Hammer', 'Cannon', and the likes of Clarke, Van Impe and Dupont. Same thing kind of happens with Bill Barber. Both guys were hard working two way players despite their skill, just not goons. Real underrated, absolutely essential core guys though.

One of the only real likeable guys off those Philadelphia teams if you weren't a Flyers fan. RIP.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Oh yeah. Laid him right out. Broken jaw & leg. Clean check. Horton had been a real Force, real Speed Merchant, Rushing Defenceman. Its interesting to contemplate as good as he was after recovering how good he might have been as he lost a considerable amount of lateral speed as a result.

I think you are right that the collision might have affected Tim's leg for the rest of his career because the vids I have seen of him rushing he sort of lopes or lunges ahead like one of his legs is a little behind? Still he seemed fast though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad