For once Montreal and Boston fans can agree on something

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Not signed.

I would assume the winner of the Voice can actually sing, unlike Rene & Ginette who should have both retired 20 years ago.

Also people who are whining about national anthems here on this internet board: I would suggest not actually saying that in public, you will make yourself look foolish and small in the eyes of others. Complaining about ceremonial patriotic displays is unnecessarily divisive, accomplishes nothing, and will not make you many friends or help your career.

Thanks Mom/HR manager Burke

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Brutal. Let the proper singers sing not this tv contest to find a singer sing. I have to disagree with those HABS fans saying to drop the anthems I am assuming you are all quite young. The anthem is as much a part of the game as the game itself just like fighting.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't even know why anyone cares about these stupid, boring, overrated outdoor games. I hope it gets rained out.

As a television viewer, the outdoor event lost its luster a long time ago. The NHL overkilled it.

But for a fan going to the event, its still going to be a cool experience (pardon the pun).

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
The winner of The Voice won it with this performance. I gotta say, it's pretty damn impressive. Dude makes Sarah Diamond and Briannah whatsherface look like amateurs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
People really give a rat's ass about who sings the National Anthem at a meaningless regular season game?

Who cares?

Do people have to get outraged about everything on the internet?

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Shocked to see all this whining about the national anthems being a thing. I can understand you not caring who does it for the Winter Classic, but sheesh, it's an awfully trivial part of the game night experience to feel so passionately about.

As someone who is a proud American citizen with a parent from both USA and Canada, I have always enjoyed listening to and singing both anthems at games.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Brutal. Let the proper singers sing not this tv contest to find a singer sing. I have to disagree with those HABS fans saying to drop the anthems I am assuming you are all quite young. The anthem is as much a part of the game as the game itself just like fighting.

The Voice garners contestants from judges listening "blind" during the auditions. A lot of the chaff is already sifted out at the auditions. I only watched the second season in full and part of the third, but the winners were adequate, to say the least, and some of the non-winners were quite excellent, like Jesse Campbell.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I think the problem was time constraints.

If Rene were to sing they would have to plan an additional 45 minutes for his endless fist pumps and they just couldn't afford to give him all that time.

I think you're mistaking a 10 second triple fist pump for the pregame ceremonies at the Bell Center. :sarcasm:

(In all seriousness, when they show them on TV, I do love Bell Center ceremonies/pre-game shows that they occasionally do; they're probably the best in the NHL. I don't mind waiting a couple of extra minutes for the puck drop because they're done so well. I wish the Garden had a cool torch.)

As for Rene, he's hokey. He's not always pitch perfect. But he's tradition, and should be there - and Ginette should be welcomed with open arms as well.

And as far as The Voice being about the "blind auditions" - that's not totally true. They sing ONE song blind. Out of probably like 10 or 11 that each contestant does throughout the season if they make it to the end. After song 1, they're TOTALLY judged on everything else: looks, performance, pizazz, their "story", etc. That's not to say that the kid can't sing - he probably can. But the show has produced basically clunker artists. (Unless there are some country singers who do well - I don't really follow much country.) In five years, I want to say "Rene sang the anthem", and not "Some random guy - Jordan Smith - sang it. I think he was on American Idol or X Factor."

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
I find Rancourt annoying that he sings "...with a glowing heart..." when the proper lyrics are "...glowing hearts..." while singing O Canada - but that's him. And while I find it annoying another part of me snickers everytime. Some things that annoy people in sports make the games more fun. Most of us detest the B's and their fans share the opposing hate but that's the beauty of it. There's a love in that hatred even though both fan bases would never admit it.

So with that I say - bring on Rene :yo: I'll sign!

Alex514

May 10, 2015
I wouldn't mind seeing Rene and Ginette doing their thing.

But if they're not there, who cares? The Winter Classic is not about them.

The players, the game, is what really matters. Go Habs Go!

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I think you're mistaking a 10 second triple fist pump for the pregame ceremonies at the Bell Center. :sarcasm:

(In all seriousness, when they show them on TV, I do love Bell Center ceremonies/pre-game shows that they occasionally do; they're probably the best in the NHL. I don't mind waiting a couple of extra minutes for the puck drop because they're done so well. I wish the Garden had a cool torch.)

As for Rene, he's hokey. He's not always pitch perfect. But he's tradition, and should be there - and Ginette should be welcomed with open arms as well.

And as far as The Voice being about the "blind auditions" - that's not totally true. They sing ONE song blind. Out of probably like 10 or 11 that each contestant does throughout the season if they make it to the end. After song 1, they're TOTALLY judged on everything else: looks, performance, pizazz, their "story", etc. That's not to say that the kid can't sing - he probably can. But the show has produced basically clunker artists. (Unless there are some country singers who do well - I don't really follow much country.) In five years, I want to say "Rene sang the anthem", and not "Some random guy - Jordan Smith - sang it. I think he was on American Idol or X Factor."
Commercial success is not the same as lacking talent.

The auditions are blind. So the blind auditions are indeed true.

The competition, or "rest of the process" is not.

But the finals typically have guys who are decent, and better than when they started.

And as a previously amateur musician myself who certainly listening to opera voices all the time, the standards of mostly non-musicians on these competition singers are exceedingly harsh and based on the fact that they have no "name" and that they are participating in said competition, not because they are actually mediocre.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Personally I couldn't give less of a **** about the anthems. I wish they'd just drop them all together.

Who the **** cares about anthems?

I can't wait for the day they are no longer a part of the game. There is 0 relevance.

giphy.gif

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
This kind of reasoning is why France has become what it is now and why Canada is about to follow the same path.

It's about patriotism and being proud of where you live/where you're from. It's something the Americans have and that we don't have. The National Anthems have their place in every sportive event. It's part of our heritage, and disregarding it is a lack of respect for those who did all they could so we could enjoy the privileges and the rich heritage we have.

I wish you people would get a grip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyldN-S9WvQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad